Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:12 pm

After a couple of weeks break Rob and I are once again going to venture onto the French coast and fight for control of the beaches.

This time I am the invader and Rob the Defender. The initial bombardments cleared a good number of entrenchments and the landings went without any Kia's. A number of low step units have been left at sea till turn two so they can land without taking the risks of landing under fire.

The Allied air interdiction is the only thing that really stops the Axis player from throwing the forces back into the English Channel so it is liberally spread along the beaches.

In a change to the first AAR, the Allied air interdiction is guaranteed for the first two turns, and then goes to the random generator. The editor now allows a country to get fixed interdiction up till a specified turn.

The british beaches are thus

The beach CRT's are lethal so that everything on the first turn is directed at keeping the Axis player from reaching the beaches. On turn 2 the forces will be off the beaches and, at least, that danger will be over.

The air landings went without a lot of problem but this is only the beginning. The Axis forces have yet to awaken...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:00 pm

Another beautiful day in France. The birds are singing, the sun is shining. Rommel is away to visit his wife.. nothing is going to happen in this sector.

Gold Juno and Sword:

The German soldiers were woken early this morning - with the sound of shells firing overhead rattling them from their bunks. British Paratroopers have been spotted to the north east of Caen.. and are immediately engaged - with one Para unit being destroyed outright.

Panzer units move into secure Caen and hold all bridges.

Omaha:

German forces were better prepared for the allied units landing at Omaha beach and rushed to the beach to contain the waterlogged Allies. Though they were unable to muster a initial counter attack - they are preparing to sweep the US forces back into the sea in the next few hours.

Utah:

American parachute units were spotted dropping to flooded wetlands in the early hours of the morning.. this was followed by the landing of additional american units on the beaches of Utah. Orders have been given to defend Carentan until German reinforcements arrive.

Overall - my German forces have been taken by surprise.. we didnt expect an invasion in this part of France. Leadership and orders coming from above are disorganised.. and there is confusion as to whether this is the main Allied invasion force or not? Eitherway, send reinforcements urgently!

We await more specific orders from Rommel.

[note that the quality of images have been reduced for the purposes of this AAR to make it easier for those on dial up.]
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:42 pm

The news on DDay+1 is very mixed.

The British Paras landed a bit to far East.

Two of their number are now Kia's and the others are desparately heading for the beaches with little hope that they will make it.

Sword beach is looking secure but that is a lot of clear country and Axis forces are reported heading to the area.

Gold and Juno are fine but units from Gold are heading to Omaha to secure the landing. A number of units are holding out to sea as it is just to dangerous on the beaches at the moment.

Utah forces are moving inland and are attempting a quick capture of Carentan due to the feeling that all units have been directed to Omaha. Can the US Paras pull of a quick victory or are the Axis units just out of sight.

More to follow...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Wotan » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:34 pm

Its good to see you have posted this over at Matrix.

Im sure it will convince all those who didnt buy KP to buy BiN.

You two do a great job with the AARs.
Wotan (Im Wodin at Matrix Forum)
Wotan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tcanuck » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:30 am

Looks great! I presume the changes to fixed air support for the first two turns were to facilitate the initital alllied lodgement, but I am wondering if in this game the situation of the 6th Airborne will have a lasting impact[ Is the door to Caen shut?]
tcanuck
New Recruit

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:44 am

It is my opinion that fighting for Caen should wait a while, particularly as I am in control of the British forces. The clear ground in front of Caen is perfect tank country and the Germans have the ability to move out, attack, then retire to the relative safety of the city hexes.

A more pressing problem is to get Omaha freed up and put pressure on that area. Concentrated air interdiction can almost seal off the Omaha area and place immense pressure on the Axis forces. Once this is secure then other options will come into play.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:53 am

Roger Keating wrote:
The clear ground in front of Caen is perfect tank country and the Germans have the ability to move out, attack, then retire to the relative safety of the city hexes.

I would have thought that it would be a priority for the Germans to destroy the bridges in front of Caen. But I can see that its a question of destroying them at the right right moment.

In the previous game, some Germansn were defending IN FRONT of Caen - on the wrong side of the river. Why? Arn't these trops certain to be killed?
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:20 am

The river runs through the middle of Caen, so there are Urban hexes on both sides of the river. I think the best strategy to adopt around Caen is to have your German units sitting on the Urban hexes (on the wrong side of the river) so that the Brits and Canadians have to advance to the end of the clear ground to attack you.

The Allies will need to get Retreat results for all urban hexes or run the risk of being attacked in the clear. So I will be trying to take care of the Allied Gliders behind my lines whilst getting enough Germans into Caen to be able to punch back when Roger starts his punching.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:26 am

Does the map change colour when the mud arrives? - A great feature in KP.
-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:28 am

Yep. There are some 'mud' coloured maps in the other AAR I think.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:02 am

I can also assure you that the Allied forces have enough trouble just getting their troops ashore without the added burden of actually doing something useful like capturing Caen.

The beach CRT's are lethal and all effort must be made to make sure that the Germans do not get the opportunity to exercise them. With airpower, and some expendible paratroops :cry: , they can be.

I am sure that Rob will concur that therer are plenty of problems for both sides to ponder and it is not easy for either player. As the Germans I thought that the sea landings would be a breeze, as the Allies it is just a heap of problems.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Prester John » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:50 pm

Good, not much point if it isn't going to be a challenge for both sides.
Prester John
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Twinkle » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:13 pm

Joe wrote:In the previous game, some Germansn were defending IN FRONT of Caen - on the wrong side of the river. Why? Arn't these trops certain to be killed?

Really nice, as they did that for a couple of weeks (north and west of the city) in real life.

Actually defending so is a good idea as it is so easy to counterattack out from the urban terrain compared to attack from the clear terrain into the urban terrain. Forcing the allied player to commit a lot more troops then the German player, in that particular sector. Combining that with removing the allied Para division gives a pretty secure flank and forces the allied player to start thinking a bit. :)

Regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

New detachments

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:45 am

Go to the very first post at the top of this thread.

The second screen shot – there are detachments with the no. "2" next to them. What does the “2” mean and do detachments come with any other numbers (such as a “1”)

Does it remain in place for 2 turns and how do you count 2 turns?

Example:

Turn 1

Player A goes first and drops a detachment
Player B goes next

When does the detachment disappear?

At the end of Turn 3? If so, player B would have to contend with the detachment for 3 turns.
-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:58 am

Joe,

The 2 means two turns duration for the detachment.

Those two turns would be turns 1 & 2 (lasts thru both sides turn 1 and both sides turn 2).

JSS
Last edited by JSS on Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSS
Site Admin

Next

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion