TAO4 Feature AAR

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Robjess » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:35 pm

Hmm.. I dont know if I will be able to take Manhay this turn.. I will give it a shot.. but my problem is supplies! Roger's interdiction has really punished me this turn..

As you can see, I am not getting any supplies to the front, I already have some units in the red and out of supply, and the others around Manhay run the risk of going into the red this turn if they attack! Hmm what to do..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:52 pm

Attack...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Bertram » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:13 pm

When in doubt attack.....

Bertram

(that is the way I always manage to loose)
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:23 pm

ROGER!!!!!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:29 pm

Ok I did :) And Manhay fell.. but I forgot to take a screen shot of the glory.. and I ensured any units with only 1 bullet didnt attack.. so all is good..

I have tried to firm up my line in front of Manhay. My advance is well over and taking Manhay will relieve some pressure on my units at front as supplies _should_ start to roll in (so long as the allied fighter/bombers stay out of the skies!).. also the additional Alert units/replacements I will get from taking Manhay will help..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby michl » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:36 am

I need to say I'm really disappointed by your performance Rob!

Wasn't the plan to finish this game as soon as possible? Now you fixed the situation down South pretty well, you got Manhay and fixed your supply issues there. All in all I would say this is delaying the start of the Normandy pbem beyond June 6.

:lol:
Michl
Image Image ImageImageImageImageImage
michl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joel137 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:41 am

Roger Keating wrote:As the German I have been able to get my armor spearhead to Dinant against good Allied play, but they immeditately ran out of fuel and the result was fairly historical.

That's a lovely game test result!
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:45 am

I spoke to Roger yesterday about the Normandy AAR, we will do one.. but I think its fair to give Roger a few turns to kick my butt around in this one and show the might of the Allied forces at work :)

Ps: My line may look strong.. its bloody not! The state of my units is very very poor - with some down to 1 step..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:26 pm

This turn I conducted offensives all along the line. My guys look a bit ragged but I get the feeling the German forces are soon going to be heading back to Berlin.

To make my chase a bit easier my bombardment of the WestWall is bearing fruit and there is now a clear road behind the lines. I allocate all 4 barrage artillery to this task each turn. The result is..

There are a few Germans in the way but I will encourage them to move on when a few reinforcements reach the area.

The situation report is..

The front line in the forest is very hard to supply. I know this from experience and even though I can see one flak unit I am still inclined to dump air interdiction everywhere. It is possible to make the German forces retire without attacking but I am attacking to cause a few of them to go into the red. Around Houffalize the Germans have a number of one step units which are looking very fragile.

Over to you Rob...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:21 pm

Not much to report on the front this turn. I am in no position to attack.. my men are tired and weak.. so I gave them the day off and let them defend mostly.

Although that doesnt mean you dont get some sort of treat from me this turn.. Roger and the guys at SSG have been busy.. here are some new images:

First here is a new unit pop up:

And here is what appears to be a new map for TAO. Which just happens to have the state of play for the end of this turn.

I think we may end up playing a few more turns of this AAR and then we may start a Normandy one.. how about that?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:25 pm

OMFG - that map is AMAZING !!!!

Love the new unit pop-up btw : much more informative than the old one (and more sexy too, which helps :wink: )
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:49 pm

The new map looks great.

One concern though. Maybe it's just me but my tired old eyes really have trouble seeing the main roads in the heavy forest such as between Spa and Poulseur.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Prester John » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:36 am

I think the map looks good too, but isn't it a little "summer-y"?
Prester John
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:41 am

Its a mud turn.. no snow yet.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:18 am

Not a lot happened this turn, The German line is fairly compressed and very tough so attacks along the line to try to get supply used up and look for some way to collapse the line. Another strongpoint in the West Wall took a step loss and air power is still rampant. Here is a look at the Manhay area ..

Which, if you take the units away looks like

There is not a clear road entering the area so the supply pressure should be great. Some of the units have to trace across some rugged terrain so attacking at low odds is essential to cause them grief.
Roger Keating
SSG

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion