Rommel - Master of Battle Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Rommel - Master of Battle Tournament

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:32 am

It’s November 1942, a desperate battle has begun. The fate of the Wehrmacht’s Sixth Armee at Stalingrad depends on keeping Kalatsch bridge in German hands. Whether keeping a supply line open into Sixth Armee or keeping an escape route available everything depends on owning this one bridge. Russian 5th Tank Army and 51st Army rush toward Kalatsch Bridge from both sides to crush Sixth Armee’s life line. Who possesses the tactical skill and generalship to stop the pending disaster?

In this historically based what if scenario we take a look at how things might have been different if a commander as bold and daring as Erwin Rommel directed the deployment of German forces. Sixth Armee forces available represent what could have been done to hold a corridor open from the inside of der Kessel at Stalingrad. Fourth Pz Armee is greatly reinforced as the punch of Armee Group A is pulled North as quickly as possible.
Russian forces represented are from those available to the two Soviet Fronts encircling Stalingrad.

Russian Instructions

Comrade Commander the day to rid Mother Russian of the Fascist scourge is upon us! Move with all haste to cut off the German Sixth Armee by taking the bridge at Kalatsch. Take all of Kalatsch, annihilate the Fascists, and then liberate our villages along the way to Morozovsk. We will drive from there to Berlin!

German Instructions

As Field Marshal Rommel, you must maintain control of Kalatsch at all costs. Hold the bridge and crush the Red Hordes as they arrive piecemeal. Strike them down in detail until they lack the power to hold you back.

This Scenario/battle will form the basis of the first Run5 "First Release Tournament". A first release tournament is a tournament based upon a scenario that has not previously been released to the public. The idea around these tournaments is that all players in the tournament get to play the scenario at the same time - no one arrives on the battlefield with any 'battle' experience or advantage (except for those who designed the scenario - but thats their reward for putting the hours into it and doing the hard yards!).
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Tournament Rules and Conditions

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:44 am

Scenario: Rommel - Master of Battle. This scenario will be released and made available to all Tournament Registrants just prior to the Tournament commencing. That way no one gets any battle experiance until the tournament games officially begin.

Version: Korsun Pocket : 1.11
Options: Unknown Units off, Random weather off. Replays and Security must be enabled. All other options are normal.

This tournament will be based upon the knockout principle - with winners from each round progressing into the next round until 2 players meet in the ultimate show down - the winner of which will be proclaimed Rommel - Master of Battle Champion. Note that depending upon the number of Registrations received, the first round may be held as a preliminary round to qualify.

You should not register to enter this Tournament unless you are willing to give Tournament games your full attention and are able to complete 1 turn at least every 2-3 days (minor exceptions are allowable).

To Register, send an email to the Run5 Webmaster (webmaster@war.robjess.com) and provide the following information:
Put "Rommel Tournament" in the subject field of the email.

Your Real Name
Your Run5 Forum Name
Your Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder Name
Your Email address that you want the tournament PBEM files sent to.

All players will receive a Rommel Master of Battle Tour of Duty Medal
(to be advised)

The winner will receive the Tournament Winners Medal:

The runner up will receive the Tournament Runners Up Medal:

Other rules and things you should be aware of:

- All players must be registered on the Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder
- All games must be based upon the most recent patch available at the commencement of each Round (so in other words if a new patch is made available mid Tournament then all players must adopt and install that new patch when they commence their next round). The Patch 1.11 must be installed and used for Round 1.
- This is a knockout Tourmament with only the winners from each round progressing to the next and subsequent rounds.
- All games must be played in PBEM Security Mode
- All units must be set to hidden
- All other settings must be set to Normal
- Round 1 opponents will be randomly selected by Run5 staff, and once annouced are final
- Subsequent round opponents will be determined by previous round winners
- Players should not register and enter the tournament unless they are able to completed a turn at least each 2-3 days. Preferrably 1 turn a day if possible.
- Each round should progress at a steady pace so as to ensure the Tournament is not held up due to a slow game.
- Should players be unavailable to complete to turn around times they should bring this to the attention of their opponent and the Run5 Tournament Master
- These games are automatically eligible for reporting on the Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder - at the discretion of the winner.
- Any corrupt game files or problems resulting in a player being unable to load their turn will be mediated and decided by the Run5 Tournament Master.
Last edited by Robjess on Sun May 30, 2004 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Islander » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:59 am

Rob,

You are the MAN!!! The screenshot looks awesome. It will be the ultimate level playing field. Can't wait to get a shot at it.
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:12 am

Actually credit where credit is due. JSS did most of the OOB and the design of the scenario, he pretty much told me what he wanted and I went about making it in the editor - so most of the design decisions are from JSS. He told me what the map should look like and I did the map. Brubaker did the rail lines and the roads on the map.

Infact it has been a lot of fun making this one, and there has been alot of learning along the way. I learnt from Brubaker how I should be drawing roads and rail lines on a map, and JSS learnt how to use the editor.

I will tell you now, this scenario is NOT for the faint hearted - I think everyone should enter this scenario - why? Well because to a certain extent everyone is on a level playing field.. no one has played this scenario before. But, like I said.. its a killer.. it really is deadly - at the end of the battle the snow will be covered in blood!

There are many many options available to each player in this one too..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Islander » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:48 am

I know it's been discussed in these forums before, the idea of a new, unseen battle for everyone. No canned first moves, or opening strategies. Except for the designers. I can certainly sympathize and wholeheartedly agree with the concept of to those who do the work go the advantages. I do hope there will be a quick synopsis of design theory, and general strategies that have worked in the beta testing. Much like your lead-in to the Port Stanley scenario.

Sort of like leading the lambs to the slaughter. :shock:
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:06 pm

There is a full mini map of the area on the main Run5 news page or here:
http://www.robjess.com/war/archives/000630.html

I dont know if we will talk much about strategy.. we might just leave everyone to their own devices.. I have created an overview map which pretty much outlines the area's of advance for both forces.. but in terms of where to send X division.. there really are too many options in this scenario and its probably best left unsaid.

Once JSS has looked at the overview map I have done - and he is happy with it being released, I will post it up.

Btw, this map is large! Its the largest map that KP will allow.. so its as big as the AtD map.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:44 pm

robjess wrote:There is a full mini map of the area on the main Run5 news page or here:
http://www.robjess.com/war/archives/000630.html

the mini-map is stunningly beautiful, wow... can't wait to play this one. :)

robjess wrote:I dont know if we will talk much about strategy.. we might just leave everyone to their own devices.. I have created an overview map which pretty much outlines the area's of advance for both forces.. but in terms of where to send X division.. there really are too many options in this scenario and its probably best left unsaid.

no need, keep it all in dark... although it could be fun to have some info about the number of divisions etc...

regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Islander » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:14 pm

Run5 announce the much anticipated first of the 'First Release Tournament Series'

I noticed that the word first was emphasized in the link. Does this mean there are more to come? :D :D :D
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:19 pm

Sure, I like the idea of Tournaments being based upon a scenario/battle that no one has played before.. I think most players will find it appealing too.. so if this one is successful then we probably will do more in the series yeah.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby CESteman » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:23 pm

Ok, I have a question. Will this scenario be available once the ladder is done? What about people who don't have the free time to play? I am sad to say that I am one of those people who won't sign up because of my work schedule and besides, I would probably be the one to hold on the game! Thanks.
Christian
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:41 pm

The scenario will be freely made available to everyone at the same time that it is released to the Tournament players - but not before hand.

Edit:
The first release will not have any AI. Infact I dont think the AI will be implemented until the scenario is updated to BIN (which incidently has already been converted over to BIN by JSS. And it looks and plays quite nice..)
Last edited by Robjess on Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:29 pm

I'm in, going to have to get my pair of Uggs out and ready.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:11 pm

Uggs - dont mention that - thats a sore point down under..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:06 pm

This going to be the only information you get from me about this scenario - JSS may provide some more info - but I wouldnt believe everything he says, he has been known to provide misinformation at times...

* A full sized version of the map can be downloaded from here:
http://test.robjess.com/situation.jpg

Kalatsch and its Railway Station feature at the centre of the map and is marked by the circle - this is the primary objective for both sides - as discussed in the briefing notes - the Russians want it and the Germans need it!

The area in red signifies the zones that are in control of the Red Army, the Red arrows signify the areas that the Soviets will advance from. The rest of the map is controlled by the Germans and the Blue arrows represent their Axis (pun intended) of advance. Note that there is a small German outpost in the upper north west of the map.

In case you havent noticed yet.. this is a H U G E map and 90% of the terrain is clear terrain - which as you all know is going to be deadly. The main feature on the map is the river running south to north east - this is a major river. Minor rivers flow off the major one to the east and west.

The key to the battle will be bridges - although should the whether turn nasty - who knows the rivers may even freeze over. Woods and Forest are littered by the rivers and should provide for some more suitable defensive terrain.

But you wont need that because the best form of defense is attack.....
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:40 pm

Did someone say something about a campaign medal ??

I'm in dude !!

*get's his medal cabinet polished and readies a new display case*
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)