Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Postby Robjess » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:47 am

Registrations are sought for a PBEM Tournament based upon Chris Merchants Whiking Whiteout scenario for KP.

Scenario setttings are as followings:

Scenario: Whiking Whiteout
Version: 1.11
Weather: Normal
Combat Advisor: On
Security: On
Replay: On
Unknown Units: Off
All other settings are Normal

You should not register to enter this Tournament unless you are able to complete 1 turn at least every 2-3 days (minor exceptions are allowable).

To Register, send an email to the Run5 Webmaster (webmaster@war.robjess.com) and provide the following information:
Put "Whiking Whiteout Tournament" in the subject field of the email.
Your Real Name
Your Run5 Forum Name
Your Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder Name
Your Email address that you want the tournament PBEM files sent to.

Run5 Medals will be awarded for participation in this Tournament. A new Tour of Duty medal will be created and made available shortly.

Other rules and things you should be aware of:

- All players must be registered on the Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder
- All games must be based upon the most recent patch available at the commencement of each Round (so in other words if a new patch is made available mid Tournament then all players must adopt and install that new patch when they commence their next round). The Patch 1.11 must be inmstalled and used for Round 1.
- Advancment into Round 2 and subsequent rounds will be based upon the results of the previous round.
- All games must be played in PBEM Security Mode
- All units must be set to hidden
- Combat advisor must be set to on
- All other settings must be set to Normal
- Round 1 opponents will be randomly selected by Run5 staff, and once annouced are final
- Subsequent round opponents will be determined by previous round winners
- Players should not register and enter the tournament unless they are able to completed a turn at least each 2-3 days. Preferrably 1 turn a day if possible.
- All players should seek to keep to the above time frames - or Run5 staff may determine a winner based upon the circumstances of the case if any games are significantly delaying the progress of the Tournament.
- These games are automatically eligible for reporting on the Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder - at the discretion of the winner.
- The winner will be declared Run5 Whiking Whiteout Champ.. until the next Tournament.
Last edited by Robjess on Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:21 am

Here I am! 8)

A question about the mirror--do you envision both games being played simultaneously or offset a few turns or finish one before starting the other? Or players choice as long as they get their match done in X days?

This actually is an important question since the Combat Advisor is OFF--it WILL take me longer to complete a turn and I'll have to see if I can fit two more games in instead of one. :cry:
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:40 am

The scenario is a small one, I think its about 10 turns long - so its suited to a mirror style Tournament.

I specifically didnt mention how the mirror games would occur.. its up to the two players.. to decide, some people may want to play them concurrently, others may offset them by a few turns, others may not want to commence the 2nd game until the first one is completed (which would probably be my choice).
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Pustov » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:42 am

Combat advisor should always be turn off for a tournament game IMO, It will make the battles more realistic and fluent. :wink:

Wish I could join, but I don't think I'll be on the net for long. :cry:
ImageImageImage
Pustov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:54 am

WHAT! We are losing on of our comrads? How come you wont be on the net for long?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Pustov » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:20 pm

Money.... and I can not live were I'm living at anymore... It sucks being a poor warrior... :roll:..... But..... I'LL BE BACK!!!! :wink:
ImageImageImage
Pustov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joel137 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:13 pm

Pustov wrote:Combat advisor should always be turn off for a tournament game IMO, It will make the battles more realistic and fluent. :wink:

Wish I could join, but I don't think I'll be on the net for long. :cry:

MHO, is exactly the opposite, all the combat advisor does is play the role of a staff and allow you to make a move faster, I don't have to do all that factor counting. Which of course is one big advantage of playing wargames on silicon vs. cardboard. I don't think it affects the realism one iota; if you play as slave to the combat advisor you'll usually get your head handed to you.

Just to provide another opinion and/or viewpoint. 8)

Sorry to hear that you won't be on the net for long. Hopefully that will be a condition that won't last.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:49 pm

I expect to see you back Pustov - or we are coming looking for you! :twisted:

Combat Advisor, what's that? is that what all those number things are on the screen?
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:51 pm

No isnt it your GF who comes up when you are playing and says "What are you doing? Whats that? Why dont you attack him? No dont do that?"
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:12 am

Registrations are going slow on this one.. so there are still plenty of slots left.. I might go and advertise it over at Matrix. Lets see how it fills up in the next few days.. if it doesnt pick up then we will make this a small Tournament and possible need to explore why more people havent registered, ie: dont like CA off, dont like Mirror, too many Tourns at once.. etc.. but we will have that discussion later if need be.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:07 pm

Pustov wrote:Combat advisor should always be turn off for a tournament game IMO, It will make the battles more realistic and fluent.

A small scenario like this one is the perfect one for turning of the Combat Advisor. Nevertheless, I am not joining this fight unless needed for making it a 64 player’s tournament. Playing way to many tournaments and ladder-pbem games as it is... :D

Regards
/twinkle :wink:
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:16 pm

Rob - Since you asked, sort of, I'm not registering as one tourney at a time is all I can handle. Wife, four year old, dog, job, beta testing, on, and on...
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fairfax » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:04 pm

I wont join because I dont like the idea of CA off, even though I admit its not too much of a chore with WW. I feel its a play aid that allows you to enjoy the game instead of worying about maths - although I may be in a minority in this. I have no objections to tournements etc with it off - thus allowing those that wish to play the game in the way they like. But its just not my cup of tea. I hope RUN5 will cater for both and fully support the idea of having CA off tournements for those who like it !!!
ImageImageImageImage
Fairfax
Captain
Captain

Postby Maxblaster » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:03 pm

I'm not registrering either. Don't like CA off, don't like mirrors, have RL work to do, etc... sorry, only if you need me to be 64th or 32d player, you may ask again...
Image Image Image
Maxblaster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Not playing WW tournament.

Postby Vampire » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:00 am

Playing in two tournaments and another game leaves me no time for another one. I don't care if CA is off, but prefer it on for the same reasons as named above: it gives a nice indication on what can be done 8) without the player wasting time on calculating this his/herself.

Greetz, Vampire.
Shiny Objects of Honour:
Image Image Image Image
Vampire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)