TAO5 Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Italy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

TAO5 Tournament

Postby Robjess » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:58 am

Ok you want a new Tournament? Well this one wasnt on the "what should the next tournament be?" Poll. But...

Registrations are now open for the Battles in Italy - TAO5 Tournament.

This Tournament will be slightly different to previous tournaments in that it will feature all 3 TAO5 scenarios (Race to the Meuse, St Vith and the full campaign). This is how it will work - exact details will depend upon the number of players who play..

The Tournament will commence with players playing mirrored games of the Race to the Meuse scenario with the end of game points for each player combined from both games, with the player with the highest points deemed the winner and advanced to the next round(s).

For example, if Robjess and JSS were playing, we would play 2 games of Race to the Meuse, one with me as the allies and one with me as the Axis, at the end of each game we would record our scores and then total them up after the completed of both games - the person with the higher score advanced to the next round.

Robjess (allies) - 352
JSS (axis) - 250

Robjess (axis) - 219
JSS (allies) - 402

Robjess (total) : 352+219=571
JSS (total): 250+402=652

JSS wins and advances to the next round.

Subsequent rounds will be based upon the 6th Pz Armee (St Vith) scenario and the same principles will be applied - two games, mirrored with the player with the best combined score at the end advancing.

Finals games with be based upon the full TAO Campaign.

I will confirm how many rounds will be based upon each scenario once the final number of players have been confirmed.

If you would like to take part in this Tournament you must send me an email (robjess@gmail.com) with the following details:

Put "TAO5 Tournament" in the subject field of the email. And advise of the following information:

Your Real Name
Your Run5 Forum User Name
Your Run5 Combat Leagues PBEM Ladder User Name
Your Email address that you want the tournament PBEM files sent to
And attached your Battles in Italy PBEM profile to the email item

The following instructions will advise you on how to create a Battles in Italy PBEM Profile.

http://www.ssg.com.au/Run5/articles/Pro ... ofiles.htm

Whilst these instructions were written for Battles in Normandy, the process is the same for Battles in Italy. You need to attach a copy of your profile to your Registration email.

You can not register by simply replying in this thread - you must send me an email as detailed above.

Sounds good - what else do I need to know?

The period for registrations will be open for several weeks - or until we receive enough registrations to commence the Tournament. Eitherway the Tournament will not commence prior to the forthcoming PBEM Security Patch from SSG.

On the topic of Security - Tournament players should be made aware that all Tournament Games are played in PBEM Secure Mode. The security used by the DBWWII series involves several hidden keys and files being written to your computer so that PBEM games can be validated prior to loading. You should be advised that reinstalling Battles in Italy or your Windows Operation System/Registry mid way through a secure PBEM game may invalid that game. Any games invalidated in this manner will be deemed in the favour of your opponent.

In addition to this Secure PBEM games can only be completed on the same PC that the game for that Tournament Round was commenced on.

All Tournament Players will be awarded the Run5 TAO Tour of Duty Medal, Tournament winner and 1st runner up will also be presented the winner and runners up medal respectively.

The Fine Print

- All players must be registered on the Run5 PBEM Combat Leagues Ladder
- All games must be based upon the most recent patch available at the commencement of each Round (so in other words if a new patch is made available mid Tournament then all players must adopt and install that new patch when they commence their next round).
- Advancment into Round 2 and subsequent rounds will be based upon the results of the previous round.
- All games will be issued by the Tournament Master(s)
- All games must be played in PBEM Secure Mode
- All units will be set to hidden
- Combat advisor will be set to on
- All other settings will be set to Normal
- Round 1 opponents will be randomly selected by the Tournament Master/Run5 staff, and once announced are final
- Subsequent round opponents will be determined by previous round winners
- Players should not register and enter the tournament unless they are able to completed a turn at least each 2-3 days. Preferrably 1 turn a day if possible.
- All players should seek to keep to the above time frames - or Run5 staff/Tournament Master may determine a winner based upon the circumstances of the case if any games are significantly delaying the progress of the Tournament.
- These games are automatically eligible for reporting on the Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder - at the discretion of the winner.
- Tournament Rules may be subject to change at the discretion of Run5/SSG; subsequent changes to the rules will be announced via this thread.
- Nofitications of all results of games must be reported to the Tournament Master via email.
- The winner will be declared Run5 'TAO5' champ.. until the next Tournament that is!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:01 am

Ok - now any volunteers to be Tournament Master for this Tournament? You should have some Excel or HTML skills (HTML preferred). But most of all you must be dedicated to updating the Tournament ladder and helping to push this Tournament along - this may mean sending emails to players who may be dragging the chain, or resolving any Tournament disputes/misunderstandings - but I can help with that part.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:02 am

Entered the tourny, but will NOT be able to moderate...
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:18 pm

I'm in :twisted:
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Noakesy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:33 pm

Sounds good, please count me in (i'll send the e-mail of course :wink: ). I'm moderating the KP tourny, so would prefer not to do this one too. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:02 am

I'm in.

When was TAO5 released?

Can't moderate, don't have the necessary skills.

Email sent. :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:56 am

Kingpin wrote:
When was TAO5 released?

Yesterday (17th)
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Robjess » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:04 pm

All significant announcements are posted to the main SSG news page:

ww.ssg.com.au
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Kingpin » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:34 pm

Robjess wrote:All significant announcements are posted to the main SSG news page:

ww.ssg.com.au

Yes I know. I check there often. I normally look at the top entry only and I missed the TAO5 release as there are 3 new notes this time.

Assuming isolated units surrender?
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Kingpin wrote:
Assuming isolated units surrender?

Why yes they do. :twisted:

30% US, 10% Brits, 0% German....

Will have to look at how these play out. There are plenty of 2 step US combat units that any of the inexperienced US units should not be a surrender risk (unless cutoff & isolated). The two step German combat units are harder to line up with the inexperienced volksgrenadier divisions... otherwise they would have a surrender isolated at 30% (plus the SS units never surrender, setting Germans to never surrender is only way to model this)...
JSS
Site Admin

Postby OConnor » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:30 am

I'm in! All the Best - OConnor
The more corrupt the State, the more numerous the Laws - Tacitus
[img]http://ssg.com.au/forums/images/Medals/TAO.g
if[/img]
OConnor
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby chris miller » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:45 am

In! I am.
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Robjess » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:07 am

Current list of registered players:

1 Talos
2 Pterrok
3 JSS
4 Pete AU
5 Noakesy
6 TNTom
7 kingpin
8 Nalla
9 OConnor
10 Chris Miller
11 Aberdeen
12 Jan Ekelin
13 JPalacios35
14 jhdeerslayer
15 StormCrow
16 guernica
17 fabb
18 Cpt. Feathersword
19 Daddy_ow
20 robjess

We will give it another week or so to see how many more we get.. but unless we get 32 to, registrations may be limited to 16 players for this one..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Kilgore Trout » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am

We will give it another week or so to see how many more we get.. but unless we get 32 to, registrations may be limited to 16 players for this one..

No need to exclude anyone. You could award first round byes to the players with the most medals, for instance, or by random draw or whatever method you decide on and even out the bracket that way. I think it would be preferable to getting shut out of the tournament for most people. For instance if you get 24 players you would play 16 first round games and the 8 winners would each play against a player that had a first round bye. With 20 players you would have 4 first round games, with 22 you would have 6 games, with 29 you would have 21 first round games and 3 byes.
Image Image
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. "

--Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Kilgore Trout
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Kingpin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:03 am

Kilgore Trout wrote:

No need to exclude anyone. You could award first round byes to the players with the most medals, for instance, or by random draw or whatever method you decide on and even out the bracket that way. I think it would be preferable to getting shut out of the tournament for most people. For instance if you get 24 players you would play 16 first round games and the 8 winners would each play against a player that had a first round bye. With 20 players you would have 4 first round games, with 22 you would have 6 games, with 29 you would have 21 first round games and 3 byes.

I don't like the idea of getting a bye or a random draw. Yes, its TAO but the game has changed. A bye provides an unfair advantage to the winners of the first round.

We only need 12 more players. Lets wait it out for a week or so.
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Next

Return to Battles in Italy Play By Email (PBEM)