Europe - June 1941 Beta AAR Robjess v Manny

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Europe - June 1941 Beta AAR Robjess v Manny

Postby Robjess » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:33 pm

Note this AAR is based upon a Beta version of the soon to be released Run5 Europe 1941 scenario. This scenario will be a free download for Battles of Italy owners. Forces are Divisional unit sized, each hex represents about 20kms and each turn roughly 2 weeks worth of fighting.

Robjess plays the role of Axis and Manny is controlling the Allied forces. Feel free to post comments or ask questions as we go along..

The following house rules that apply to this game:

- The following areas are off limits to all units: Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Switzerland.

- German Carpet Bombing can not be used in North Africa or on the Finnish/Soviet front.

- Axis Finnish Units can not be used to attack Soviet Russia unless Soviet Units are withdrawn from the front or Finnish units come under attack themselves.

- Minor Axis units can not be redeployed to areas outside their locality. In other words, Romanian forces can not be sent to North Africa or the Western Front. etc

- Units may only enter Amphibious mode in a port (an urban hex which form part of a sea lane).

- Units exiting Amphibious mode on a friendly controlled hex may only do so in a port (an urban hex which form part of a sea lane).

- Units may invade (exit amphibious mode) on any enemy controlled hex that forms part of the sea lane.

Other house rules may be adopted during the course of the game.

Axis Turn 1

With France and the Low Countries in Axis hands, attention is drawn to opening up a front in the East - as Hitler turns his forces on an unsuspecting Russia.

Axis Finnish troops to the north of Leningrad put pressure on the Russian Leningrad front army and achieve a limited break through:

The Armee Group North Offensive commences and rips through the Russian units stationed on the front and good head way is made towards Riga.

It is a similar story for Armee Group Centre as all Russian forces in front of them are destroyed and progress is made past Prinsk and on towards Gomel (below) and Minsk (above).

Axis Forces are not as strong down south and progress is not as good for the Romanian and Hungarian Armies. Although the terrain is better and it should not be long before Stalingrad is in German hands :)

Here is an image of Axis forces defending the coast of Norway - not much happening but a nice image all the same :)

And finally, Italian and German forces trade blows with Allied forces in North Africa. At present Tobruk is surrounded and the Elite Australian 6th INF Division is cut off and holding on for rescue.

At the end of Turn 1 - all Russian units on the eastern front line have been removed - with 70 odd units destroyed by the Axis forces.
Last edited by Robjess on Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pete AU » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:45 pm

I can see this being a multiplayer hit. What would the country divisions be? Germany / axis minors. Russia/western allies. Or could it be divided up even more.

Speaking of multiplayer. sorry about the delay with kusk, the situation is grim. Everyones in a flap. Its a big round table discussion after the the Germans next turn I think. I might be handing out the bullets from STAVKA HQ.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:51 am

Fantastic Rob! I have it downloaded but haven't loked at it yet due to other committments. But this is way way cool. I too think this will be a multiplayer hit!

Looking at the Russian invasion screenshot I think it highlights the need to be able to grab a group and giove a common destination :)

Gret job.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:21 am

The countries in this are set up as:

Germany
Italy
Minor Axis
Vinchy France

Russia
UK (incl Minors)
USA

So thats a straight forward 7 players or 9 if you include CnC's - with clear seperation of units and assets. Although the Vinchy France units could probably be controlled by the Minor Axis player too.. So thats 8 players.
Last edited by Robjess on Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:48 am

The Allied first turn really involves a lot of bleeding and packing of body bags off to the morgue. To give you an idea of the carnage, here's a KIA screenshot in the middle of Russia:

(note my single KIA of a Rumanian Panzer Division, this is versus a total of SEVENTY-ONE KIAs for the Hun !!)

The is repeated along the entire front. Note that all front-line units plus front-line tactical reserves have been destroyed in most places, leaving me with a measily force with which to halt the German advance - a daunting prospect indeed :shock:

I plan to withdraw in as much of an orderly fashion as I can and try to gradually build a solid line in front of the savage German hordes. Here's a summary of my situation from North to South:

I intend to form a line with Zhitomir acting as the anchor point here.

I don't expect any of my frontline forces to be remaining next turn so am planning to try and make use of the highlighted terrain with my reserves.

Again on the Southern coast these units don't have a hope of survival but I will look to move reserves up to form a line as indicated.

As you can see, I have very few movable assets and most of them are damaged - if any survive the next turn I shall consider them to be blessed !

As Rob has already noted, he made a probing attack against my British forces in North Africa, with no success. My units are suprised this turn but I intend to strike hard against Rommel on turn 2/3 and look to land some reinforcements in Tobruk via an amphibious landing with one of my reserve divisions. That should annoy Mousillini no-end :twisted:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Axis Turn 2

Postby Robjess » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:42 am

Axis Turn 2.

Each turn represents about 2 and a half weeks of fighting, so its now July 1941..

North Africa:

Axis Italian forces attack the strong hold called Tobruk - but it isnt going to fall unless I divert some of my stronger German units to the task - but they are busy with the Allied Australian and the British 8th Army east of Bardia.

In Russia:

Axis Finnish units advance to a well defended Russian line just over the Finnish border and to the north of Leningrad. Due to political reasons though a 'house rule' precludes the Finnish units from advancing any further - unless the Russians attack them directly - or vacant those hexes. The Fins are content to have reclaimed their own land and to have secured their borders. Finnish troops elsewhere have been ordered to fall back and dig in along their borders for the time being.

If the Russians or Western Allies get to close though (who said that an Allied invasion of Norway isnt on the cards?) the Finnish units may change their stance somewhat.

Armee Group North sees the capture of Riga and opens the door for units to advance further towards Leningrad - which is top of the German Armee's "places to visit in Russia".

Armee Group Centre advances past Vilna and captures the key centre of Minsk - both with very little resistance from the Russians. And are now knocking on the door of Gomel. Due to the poor terrain in this area - my units are restricted to using the roads to extend their advance.

Axis air units interdict Kiev in preparation for forthcoming assaults.

In the south, German, Hungarian and Romanian forces prepare to sweep around the back of Odessa.

Another house rule exists in that Minor countried forces are restricted to operations in their locality only. In other words, Romanian units are not allowed to be transferred to the Northern African or Western Fronts.. etc

Whilst all is going well currently for Axis forces - my biggest concern is my fuel situation - the Russian units have so far crumbled and whilst this is good.. it means my units have been using extended movement and burning alot of fuel - they will need to stop at some time to re-stock though.

ps: Is there meant to be a rail line from Baghdad to where?
Last edited by Robjess on Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Turn 2

Postby Manny » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:46 am

Robjess wrote:Is there meant to be a rail line from Baghdad to where?

Good question - I assumed there would be a railroad heading West but I have no particular maps/knowledge of the region at that time so this could be correct ....

Allied Turn 2
Starting with North Africa this time, as this is where I was hoping to exact some revenge for my lost comrades in Mother Russia !

I decide to vacate the Middle East post-haste and send my units as fast as I possibly can towards the main battle zone in Egypt. A key unit is the 4th Indian Division, currently stationed in Baghdad. Unfortunately the Brits forgot to build a railway to the coast, forcing me to frog-march into battle. This is going to take a while :roll: (NB:this should be fixed in the patch)

Not to be put-off, I continue with my masterplan and attempt an amphibious reinforcement of Tobruk with the 1st South African Division, currently stationed in Alexandria. Unfortunately I note that the attrition values are all set to auto-kill so decline the prospect of a (another) dead unit :shock: (NB:this should also be fixed in the patch)

Finally I launch an attack upon the flanks of DAK, inflicting serious casualties on the German 90th Light Division and forcing them to give ground, allowing me to move my tanks into an excellent outflanking position ... if Rommel's not careful he will soon be cut-off with only the Italians to help extract him (the green arrow indicates my plan of advance) :twisted:

Just a quick summary from Russia this turn, I will give more detail next when hopefully things have calmed-down a tad.

Rob annihilated 26 more brave units, captured Minsk without a (real) fight and destroyed my entire so-called frontline (again) including most of my reserves. Luckily my strategic reserves have started to activate this turn so I plan to make more realistic defensive positions for them and note that the new units are more powerful than the ones that have passed before them. Good news for me ... perhaps they can survive one turn of contact with the German Army this time :roll:

Here's the most worrying sector of the front, in Southern Central Russia. Approximately 8 divisions (mostly tanks) including the elite SS KG South are storming through the plains and sunning themselves. Standing in their way are the humble 37th and 17th Infantry Divisions. They will be missed.

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Turn 3 Axis

Postby Robjess » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:54 pm

AXIS TURN 3

It is now Mid July 1941; here is an overview of the Eastern Front:

Thats Moscow in the right of the image - it doesnt look that far - but there are some key towns I need to capture before I get there. Leningrad can be seen in the top portion of the map where my Finn's have decided to stop. And Stalingrad is off the bottom right of the map.

Lets look at some of this in more detail:

Leningrad is looking very close now, and doesnt look like there is much between it and my units. And whilst no one knows what is hiding in those woods, I doubt at this stage of the war there are going to be any T-34's! But I do expect some Russian reserves to be released and they will make full use of the Rail network to get into a defensive position infront of the city.

Something which is new to this game - are Air units. Given the scale of the game - and through some clever scenario design - we have introduced Air Unit Counters. Here is an example of one on the map:

Air units work the same way that Artillery units do. They support combat through shifts - both in attack and in defense. They have a range (in some instances quite large!) and can also conduct specific hex interdiction and barrage capabilities. Some of the Allied Air Units later in the game are very powerful.

We are still using standard ART units in the game, but given the scale of the scenario their ranges will be very small (only a few hexes). These Air Units are the same as ART units but have obviously have a larger range.

Air units can not move, except through the use of extended movement and once rellocated they will unable to be moved again for quite a number of turns (as they wait to build their movement Ops up again).

Air units are meant to represent not only aircraft - but all of the logistics and support systems they go with them (ie: hangers, refueling facilities, landing strips! and administration) - hence they are not really very mobile at all. But as you will find they are quite powerful and a well placed unit (like in Malta!) can provide some pretty good combat support where it may be needed the most!

Armee Group Centre - conducts assaults all along its line:

Attacks on Mogilev have begun which should open the way up to Smolensk, Gomel has been overrun, and Kiev has been cut off!

And down south it is a similar story - with Keiv shown to be surrounded, and Odessa captured.

I must say though that my forces are coming across more Russian units then we expected at this stage of the battle - Im trying not to get bogged down fighting them - and rather Im looking to punch holes in their lines and then exploit them. But as reported by Manny - there have been some German losses already!

In Africa...

... Tobruk is still surrounded.. but rather then reinforcing it in an attempt to capture it, I have pulled units away from there to send against the Allied around Bardia. I have also shipped some Italians from the mainland and redeployed them to Nth Africa.. they should be arriving shortly.
Last edited by Robjess on Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Turn 3

Postby Robjess » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:07 pm

NOTE THAT THIS APPEARS UNDER MY NAME BECAUSE OUR TURNS GOT OUT OF ORDER WHEN WE POSTED THEM - SO I HAD TO DELETE AND MOVE MANNYS ORIGINAL POST FOR THIS TURN.

Posted by Robjess on behalf of Manny:

Allied Turn 3

N.Africa

The 6th Australian Division stands fast in Tobruk , with the 2nd Armoured Brigade in Alexandria ready to embark to reinforce them (green arrow indicates my plan for next turn ... let's hope the attrition values have been fixed by then !). In addition, the 3rd Infantry Division embarked in Southampton last turn and is now half-way to Egypt.

A 9-1 overrun is launched against the 15th Panzer Division (attack #1) resulting in 2 casualties and a retreat result. They have now lost three of their four steps so will not be of much use to DAK for a turn or two ... I suspect Rob will pull them from the line for a much-needed refit. 21st Panzer Division is the target of a lower odds attack which merely knocks off their auto-replacement step (attack #2).

Noting the arrival of the Italians I decide to draw back slightly to the hills and await my reinforcements - I just don't have enough manpower to seriously threaten the combined German and Italian armies at this point.

Russia Overview

Looking at the overall situation in Russia you can see that I've managed to scrabble together a thin red line. In most places this is quite a weak line so I've tried to rely on terrain to help me out but there are only so many trees to hide behind :lol: The weakest part of the line is in the far North to the West of Leningrad: three conscript divisions have been assigned the task of holding-back any Wehrmacht coming their way until some NKVD can be found to replace them :wink:

Here's a close-up of the situation in the North:

(Red lines indicate my initial defenses and fallback plans whilst the blue lines show where I think we'll end-up but I'd rather not be !)

The centre:

This is obviously my crucial sector because is Moscow falls it's game over man ... I expect the main axis of attack to follow the blue lines. This would take the Hun up the roads and through the lovely clear terrain all the way to Moscow. The flanks of Moscow offer a reasonable array of defensive terrain and I intend to make full use of this but expect to have to fight a pitched battle or two in the clear to stop Rob getting his hands on my vodka supplies ...

Lastly, the South:

The terrain is quite difficult for a defensive posture here and I think I only really have one serious fall-back option, behind the marshy river. My troops intend to try and hold their positions for at least one turn (going by their track-record this will indeed be a miracle) before rushing back to the next river. I really don't like all that open panzer-country and fully expect to take a sound thrashing once Rob starts forcing me back into the clear terrain but I can't afford to give up too much ground too easily so will try and trade troops for time here. Note that I also have several tank brigades stationed in the South that I intend to move to the Moscow region , possibly as early as next turn, to help in it's defense.

Rob only managed to knock-out five of my units this turn, which is extremely promising, although he has pocketed a group of 5 Russians in Kiev. He was a bit ambitious with the 18th Motorized Division, sending them on the hills behind Velikye Luki....suffice it to say I had no intention of letting his scouts return home :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Looking forward to see how the battle in the desert develops over the next few turns ... I have quite a few reinforcements on the way now and if I can drop a division in Tobruk I think the battle for North Africa will start going my way.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Arckon » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:48 pm

Superb,

like everyone, geez am I looking forward to this one.
Arckon
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:53 pm

Well the first release should be available sometime over this weekend.. probably tomorrow sometime.

It will be a Beta release - but it will have the beta flag on it just so people understand that there probably will be another release at a later stage. Given the size of this sucker - its just been impossible to test - so we look forward to all of the feedback that everyone will give us.

But people shouldnt be put off by the beta tag - as this scenario is perfectly playable as it currently is.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Arckon » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:05 pm

With a couple of PBEM games just having been completed ( and Nicko missing in action again) I have a couple a couple of spots free on my play card again.

So as soon as released I think I may have to post for a play by email game.
Arckon
Captain
Captain

Postby Noakesy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:29 pm

Wow, this looks fantastic 8) . Sadly I'm crammed full of PBEM games at the moment (plus the sun is out in the UK, so the family are taking advantage of that), so it's going to be a while before I can play this, but I'm really looking forward to it. Great work Rob. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Europe - June 1941 Beta AAR Robjess v Manny

Postby Brad Hunter » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:33 pm

This looks awesome! Kudos to you guys!

I have a couple of questions. Does the scenario include an AI, and when does it end? Are you able to model "upgrades?" And lastly, for now, do you plan on starting earlier in a later release?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad Hunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Wotan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:59 am

Im positive thgis will not have an AI. If it did it would be a game in its own right.

Maybe SSG will make something similar with an AI. Or just use this add an AI and sell it as an expansion similar to AtD.

Hope so as I dont play PBEM with this game. Havent the time.
Wotan (Im Wodin at Matrix Forum)
Wotan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion