TAO3 Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

TAO3 Tournament Annouced!

Postby Robjess » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:14 pm

Registrations are now open for interested PBEM players in the very first Run5 TAO3 Tournament.

Registrations close 31/12/03. The draw for Round 1 will be conducted in the first week of January 2004. Subsequent rounds will be determined from the winners of the previous rounds until a final TAO3 Champion is determined.

The rules are simple - and all TAO3 Tournament Games must comply with the following:

:arrow: All players must be registered on the Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder
:arrow: The Scenario for this Tournament is TAO3
:arrow: All games must be based upon the most recent patch available at the commencement of each Round (so in other words if a new patch is made available mid Tournament then all players must adopt and install that new patch when they commence their next round). The Patch 1.11 must be inmstalled and used for Round 1.
:arrow: This is a knockout Tourmament with only the winners from each round progressing to the next and subsequent rounds.
:arrow: All games must be played in PBEM Security Mode
:arrow: All units must be set to hidden
:arrow: Unknown unit strengths must be set to off
:arrow: All other settings must be set to Normal
:arrow: Round 1 opponents will be randomly selected by Run5 staff, and once annouced are final
:arrow: Subsequent round opponents will be determined by previous round winners
:arrow: Players should not register and enter the tournament unless they are able to completed a turn at least each 2 days. Preferrably 1 turn a day if possible.
:arrow: Each round must be completed within 2 month of commencement - or at which time Run5 staff will determine a winner based upon the circumstances of the case.
:arrow: These games are automatically eligible for reporting on the Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder - at the discretion of the winner.
:arrow: The winner will be declared Run5 TAO3 Champion.. until the next TAO3 Tournament.

To register, you must provide the following information via email to:
webmaster@war.robjess.com, please enter "TAO3 Registration" in the subject line.

Your real name.
Your Run5 User Name
Your Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder User Name (if different from above)
Your Email Address
Acknowledgement that you understand the rules of the Tournament

Good luck! If you have any questions please post them elsewhere in this forum, or email the webmaster at the above address.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

TAO3 Tournament

Postby Bertram » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:54 am

Dit bericht is afkomstig van de mail-server.

U stuurde het volgende bericht, maar dat kon niet aan iedereen worden bezorgd:

======================================================================
Onderwerp: TAO3 registration
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C3C4A4.024542C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
B.O. Redmeijer
Bertram
Bertram
<mailto:BORedmeijer@home.nl> BORedmeijer@home.nl
Yes, I understand the rules :-)

Bertram
======================================================================

Op de volgende adressen kon het bericht niet worden afgeleverd:

webmaster@run5.robjess.com
Unrouteable address

Well, it is in Dutch, but the message is clear I hope, the mail address in the Tournament announcement is (was?) not working, and I want to join.

Bertram
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Eeek!

Postby Robjess » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:10 am

Eeek! You are right!

Sorry the correct Email address should be :

webmaster@war.robjess.com

Apologies..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

stupid question

Postby Zeno » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:22 pm

I know this is a stupid question, but as you can see by my little rank, I'm a newb. . .

which map is TAO3 ?

TAO stands for "The Ardennes Offensive," right? I have the 1.11 patch and I only see to senerios. Which one is it?
Zeno
New Recruit

Postby Robjess » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:58 pm

Hi there.. welcome.

The TAO3 reference comes from past incarnations of the game. The version of TAO that is part of Korsun Pocket is actually the third version that has been released.

The game was originally released quite a few years back under the title of The Ardennes Offensive, the game was redesigned and then reissued as a FREE game under the title of The Ardennes Offensive 2, or TAO2. The version you see in Korsun Pocket has yet again been updated to run under the Korsun Pocket Engine and is therefore unofficially referred to as TAO3.

But what we are talking about is The Ardennes Offensive battle in Korsun Pocket yes.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

thanks

Postby Zeno » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:08 pm

excellent. . so are we talking about the big map or the smaller, 8 turn senerio ?
Zeno
New Recruit

Postby Arnvidh » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:30 pm

The big, full campaign (32 turns). The other one is called the Race to the Meuse (RTTM).

Maybe the tournament-administrators could post the registred players? It would be good to get a confirmation and nice to see how many there are.
Arnvidh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:46 pm

Yep I will post a list of registered players as soon as I get time.. I was going to write a online registration form.. but I just dont have the time at the moment.. I havent even started my Xmas shopping yet!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:08 am

Are sides as well as opponents going to be selected randomly?
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:36 pm

Everything will be Random.. so yes the sides and the opponents will be random draws for Round1, and then the opponents for subsequent rounds will be determined by the winners of Round1 games and the sides will be random again..

I can also confirm that the guys from SSG have indicated that they will take part in the Tournament also.. with a bit of luck we might be able to knock them out early on hey :)

Roger will be excluded from playing though!! We have something else planned for him.. given that he is the self proclaimed TAO champion.. we have decided that the prize for the winner of the Tournament - apart from public acknowledgement that they are the greatest TAO player out there - is that they get to play Roger in an AAR that will be hosted here on Run5.

So it will be a do or die AAR where the best of SSG takes on the best of the rest, or world :) - well in relation to TAO anyway.

Im really looking forward to that! It should be a good showdown
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Current List of Registrations

Postby Robjess » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:12 pm

Here is a list of who has signed up to play so far:

1 Robjess
2 Joel137
3 Troutie (SSG)
4 pterrok
5 Brubaker
6 Zeno
7 Graf Starhemberg
8 Arnvidh
9 Von Snapphanen   
10 Tempest
11 Wobbly
12 Hank
13 Matthew Urch
14 Maxblaster
15 JSS
16 RKDuke
17 d42d
18 Bertram
19 Twinkle
20 SteveF (SSG)
21 Gregor (SSG)
22 Warspite
23 RalphH
24 Snoadog
25 Vampire
26 michl
27 TheWolf
28 Joss
29 Chris Merchant
30 Josan
31 pustov
32 fairfax

Reserves
1 Wassili
2 Vader
3 Ronny Rico

Registrations are now closed.

We have 3 Reserves who will take the places of any no showers at the commencement of Round1. In addition, any reserves who dont get to make it into the Tournament (due to pull outs or no shows) will automatically reserve a place in out next Tournament.

The Round 1 draws will be posted shortly.
Last edited by Robjess on Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

ooops! Forgot to mention

Postby Robjess » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:26 pm

Sorry guys I should have mentioned this earlier.. I need to tell you all what the Combat Advisor settings will be for the Tournament.

Whilst my initial thoughts have always been that Tourmanents that we will host will mostly be with the Combat Advisor settings set to OFF - lets face it we want to seperate the men from the boys..

I am pleased to report that for this first TAO Tournament, the Combat Advisor will be set to ON!

This is so we all stand some sort of a chance against the SSG guys who will also be playing :)

Rob!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:33 pm

In preparation for the TAO3 Tournament, it is recommended that you ensure that you are running version 1.11 of KP. You can tell what version you are running from when you load the game, it should say down in the bottom left hand corner what version it is when at the main menu.

In addition to this you probably want to get the TAO 1.11 fix from here. Whilst this isnt a critical update and it will not invalid any tournament games if you do not have this fix installed, it probably is work grabbing. What this fix does is it corrects a minor issue in relation to several German units that arrive mid way through the game in truck mode. Without this fix these units will be unable to move on the first turn that they arrive.

Again, I repeat if you dont grab the fix thats fine.. its not critical.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Round 1

Postby Robjess » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:15 am

Round 1 draws have been posted! Let the games commence!

What you need to know:

:!: Round 1 draws were selected on a completely random basis
:!: Round 1 games can commence any time now, but all games must be concluded within 2 months time, including an extra week given that some people may be away this week due to the holiday period. Therefore all Round 1 games MUST be finalised by 10/03/04. The earlier you finish the better!
:!: If you are experiancing difficulties in finalising your games please contact webmaster@war.robjess.com
:!: The Rules listed above must be adhered to, including ensuring that you have version 1.11 installed.
:!: The minor TAO 1.11 fix may be installed if you desire.. it is up to you.. if you are playing as the Axis I recommend it :) Note that both players do not have to have this fix installed for the game to be compatible.
:!: Note that as games are to be played in Secure mode, it is not recommended that you conduct any activity on your PC which may result in your Registry being reset (ie: installing or upgrading your Operating System or reinstalling a backup of your operating system).
:!: Note that there are no 'draws'! The winner will be the person with the most points at the end of each game/round.
:!: We expect that not all games will run to completion, if it is clear that you will not win the game you are encouraged to resign prior to the end of the 32 turns. This will help the Tournament progress faster.
:!: If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
:!: You will all shortly receive an email from me advising you of your opponents email addresses.
:!: Remember this is about F-U-N!
:!: And finally, if something goes belly up, email us at webmaster@war.robjess.com and we will do our best to sort it all out - usually common sense will prevail.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Take Further Note:

Postby Robjess » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:21 pm

Please be aware of the following:

:idea: If you accidently press the END TURN button before you have completed your turn.. well bad luck :) Due to the PBEM Security you will not be able to reload the game.. put it down to experiance, send the turn off to your opponent and dont let it happen again.

:idea: If you fool around with your system/system os dies/harware dies/god intervenes etc etc and the tourney game is rendered unplayable.. well there isnt much that we can do about that, we will be unable to resurrect your game and the game will be awarded to your opponent unless it is clear and both players agree in writing that it should go the other way.

At the end of the day what we are saying, is if something goes belly up, then we still need to have a result and the winner will be the person who didnt stuff it up :) Well at least the person whose machine didnt stuff it all up.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Next

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)