Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Utah

Postby rholt » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:19 am

What do things look like north of Utah beach. Is there any activity in that sector? Has the push to Cherboug begun?

Thanks
rholt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Roger Keating » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:56 am

Another quiet turn. Now many could be wondering why the Allies, who have landed a large amount of material on the beaches aren't charging inland and causing havoc in the German ranks (and it has nothing to do with the fact that Patton hasn't arrived yet). Here is a picture showing the combined US/British supply net (reduced a bit).

Notice that the supplied area runs out well before my front line. Most actions are being conducted in out of supply areas. The good news is that the supply situation is getting better fast, so Rob, don't take this as a signal to launch a broad based attack to drive me back to England.

The fight for Carentan is important for the roads connecting the beaches. The supply state at Omaha gets a lot better than Utah and without connection the Utah beachhead could be overrun as any losses there could not be replaced. The thin green line shows the vital hexes to hold.

The big problem is that the Allies can be powerful in a local area but not everywhere. There are a lot of German units and although they are not necessarily quality men they can still surround and kill any adventurous Allied incursion. In one test game where the Allies cut the Cherbourg peninsula early in the game turned into a route as the out of supply units where cut down.

Now that the supply situation is getting better expect some breakouts shortly.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:54 am

No nothing is happening at Cherbourg just yet.. as Roger has stated he doesnt have the supplies and I dont have the men!

Something that I wanted to mention in my last turn write up - but forgot - is that it was interesting to see Roger's 2nd ARM where it was! He obviously chose to land it at Omaha.. I think in the AAR was me as the Allies last time I landed them at Utah. For some reason I expected him to do the same.

Because of this I didnt progress with my planned assault at Utah - if, if you remember back I wrote about a few turns ago. The number one reason I didnt attack was because I hadnt spotted the 2nd ARM and I thought they were sitting just of the beaches at Utah getting resupplied for the advance onto Cherbourg. Obviously this wasnt the case as they appeard on the wrong side of Carentan.

This is just an example of how many different options there are in the game.. you cant assume that a player is going to play out the game the same was as another player.. the ability for players to chose which beaches to direct arriving units to (after the first initial landings) adds to the variety in the game..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:12 pm

Not much happened this turn.. the weather is bad and Im effected by it also.. probably not as bad as Roger's men though. But it has limited what I can do this turn.

Villers Bocage is still the hot spot..

You can see how close Roger has had to move his supply truck to hand around the rations.. I got some air interdiction this turn (1 man and a beat up me-109f probably) - so I sent him out to buzz that truck.

I fulfilled my promise of picking on the Brit Marines this turn and they took a loss and then retreated. Infact looking at that image.. I have some nice ARM there.. and there is some good ART arriving too..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:01 am

The weather is about to go fine again so I expect that I am going to have to do some attacking again

While the rest of the front has been quiet this turn, awaiting food, ammunition and other normal things the guys on the peninsula have been told to strike out for Cherbourg. It is not necessary to capture it as much as to get close enough to stop the supplies coming from it. Once that happens the whole area will quickly be in Allied hands. Cutting off the peninsula is not really an option but I doubt I will see a lot of Axis troops speeding up to Cherbourg.

The new operation screen lets you know how progress is going. In the eight completed turns up to now the honors are about even. On turn 4 I picked up 104 points but the gains since then have been modest. On turn 8 the Allies had 427 points, the Axis 331. The difference is +96 (the the Allied player) for those without arithmetic skills. This turn the Allies gained 2 points on last turn and the current KIA tallies are 6 to the Allies and 10 to the Axis.

This screen is very useful in seeing how you are catching up on a player and can give a good idea of how the battle is going.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:46 am

What! Now the 2nd ARM is back over at Utah! Those guys get around.. its that bloody road going through Carentan. Roger is right! Once the Allies get Carentan you can see how easy it is then to move forces between Omaha and Utah.. Grr!!!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:16 pm

Patton taught them well :D
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Wotan » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:33 pm

I like the new operation screen.

A great way to track how things are going.
Wotan (Im Wodin at Matrix Forum)
Wotan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:37 pm

Not much to report this turn.. the Allies are finally making a move on Cherbourg.. for the last few turns I have been evacuating the area knowing full well that the advance was forthcoming..

I am going to give Cherbourg up.. thats not a wise thing to do given that Roger will get a heap of VP's for its capture.. and its even less wise because its against Hitlers express orders not to do so.. but Im going to live dangerously :)

Whilst I cant see all of Roger's units.. I know that they are on the move as I saw them advancing during the replay of his turn.. also the front line indicator gives an indication of where his units may be... looks like he is advancing up the east coast road..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:16 pm

The sun is shining and it's firm underfoot so a few expeditionary maneuvers are on the cards. The advance on Cherbourg is going well, and I just read Rob's last post so I now expect a quick capture. I am still interdicting the whole peninsula just so there are no surprises and the advance goes as planned.

Supply will be at a premium for the Axis around here next turn. Also pushing out so that the North South roads get as much pressure as possible.

The only other area of action this turn is around Villiers Bocage where the British are pushing South using attrition tactics.

This is a much harder sector as there is a good amount of Axis armor around and reinforcements arrive a short distance away. I have to be careful not to allow any counter attacking possibilities here. My recon units in the front line give me a good view of the Axis supply truck and that seems a good place to put an interdiction marker.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:17 pm

Rogers attacks are slowly hurting me... the units are getting thin on the ground where they are most needed and I now question the amount of units which I have guarding Caen.. but then again I can see all of the Brits and Canadians sitting outside the city limits playing football and it reminds me that I need those units where they are.. or do I?

Roger's advance on Cherbourg is going well for him.. his interdiction is really hurting me with it slowing and in some places closing my retreat down.. units out of supply are now a common sight for me Im affraid.

Villers Bocage is still a hot spot.. where I am on the defensive though and not really in control.

Here is a zoomed out view of the front.. look at all of that interdiction! From both air and sea!

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:05 pm

Cherbourg is now within sight of the advanced Allied forces. A few turns will be required to reduce the strong points but I have sent my barraging artillery up there to help out. The city is just out of range of the Battleships so that they are now sitting offshore listening to the progress reports.

The South of the peninsula is almost in Allied hands as the infantry plunges through the bocage. German units seem to be retreating rather than taking losses but that is just the roll of the dice.

Interdiction still manages to make Axis movement hard and I think the remaining Axis forces will be trying to escape a pocket...

The only other active area of the front is around Villiers Bocage.

British forces still finding the going tough as there are armored units entrenched in the vicinity. The boys around Caen are getting quite good at soccer as they await further orders but it is still a bit early to throw them into the fray. Their time will come ..
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:11 pm

German forces from the Peninsula of Cherbourg are doing their best to escape from being cut off in a pocket. In their haste they have left alot of equipment (ammo and guns) behind.. whilst I was expecting this to be a smooth retreat the allied planes have ensured that it is anything but!

You can see that some units are in the red and are being left behind in the mad rush south east! Im sure Roger will try and bag them as POW's.

Roger's movement on Cherbourg (further north west) and his attempt to cut my retreating units off (you can see a mass of Roger's units in the image above as they try and close the down by advancing towards Lessay) - has meant that his line is a little thin around Carentan.

Whilst he is in no danger of losing the town I did take the opportunity to probe his line. I caused minor losses and I retreat..

Looking towards the Villers Bocage area:

The battle is now taking place in the rugged hills that surround the area. Roger had advanced a Brit ARM Car Recon unit into the line.. so I took this as an opportunity attack. Roger got off lightly! Whilst I had good odds, I only managed to score a 1 step and retreat loss on him! His unit was only a 2 step unit.. so he was lucky!

Whilst I do have some strong ARM in the area here - Roger has the advantage of numbers.. and his battle of attrition is starting to be felt.. as I move units around to hold the line.

Caen:

Well I was getting sick of watching his units play soccer.. so I waited until it was towards the end of the 2nd half of a friendly between the Brits and the Canadians and I launched (what I would describe as an unexpected assault!). Again - Roger got off lightly!

I attack an ARM unit - which got away with a retreat only, and I then attacked an INF unit, which also only took 1 loss (I think) and a retreat. I was then able to retreat back to the safety of the city limits and the river. Having trouble seeing where the skirmish too place? Look for the 'craters' and attack residue in the hexes to the west of Cean.

I dont know if Roger has been expecting such a move for a few turns now.. but I think he will agree he got off lightly.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:39 pm

The picture of Allied supply is now much different with green (good) supply over the whole area. Units can take replacements and the news the Cherbourg has fallen has raised moral. Seaborne reinforcements still can't arrive as the strongpoints in the vicinity are still giving attrition losses so the units will still arrive at Utah and trudge over the beaches. Now to work out how many units to leave up North to clear out the strong points and how many to send South.

Allied forces, lead by the redoubtable 101st, have effectively pocketed a group of Axis units including one supply trucks.

Units freed up from the Cherbourg assault along with several infantry divisions are now able to concentrate on the West of the Axis line which is looking a bit weak. The usual air interdiction has been spread to the South so that any reinforcements will find it hard to get to the front.

In Caen, the soccer match was interrupted by a bunch a Nazi Thugs, but they were quickly seen off by the ref and the game then resumed. This indiscretion will be dealt with shortly. I think we will have to do something about those guys in Caen... carpet bombing anyone...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:49 pm

Rob,

Is the carpet bombing causing a problem? Are your AA’s well positioned?

And how about the Nazi police units. How are the performing?
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion