Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby tcanuck » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:35 am

This is interesting so far...I am curious as to how Roger will pry open the British left flank. The Orne should prove a formidable obstacle,the Red Devils may have let the side down.

In case anybody is keeping track I am casting a vote for 12SS HJ as first official AAR target for carpet-bombing!
tcanuck
New Recruit

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:35 am

As the Allies, even though the Axis may think you have a surfeit of interdiction, it really doesn't go that far. As the unit replacements are thin on the ground a few reverses early on, and this can include attrition on the beaches, and you are really up against it.

A major attack on Caen early on is going to draw air power away from the drive inland and radically increase causalties as the fighting is in the open. Early on the Germans can easily replace losses and in a stand up fight you can end up lossing a lot of men.

Once a good number of units are ashore, and supplies are guaranteed by the evolved supply trucks, and the Germans are suffering from a bit of attrition then the odds are much better. Caen can also be hit from the North and South at the same time and your units are far less likely to be cut off. At least, this is the plan.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joe » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:39 am

There is a scren shot just abouve showing some Allied units. The divisional marker is grey.

Is this Fog of War or unfinished artwork?
-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:44 am

All the artwork for BIN is finished and I am not sure which division symbols you are referring to. Can you be more specific.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joe » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:49 am

The post is by Roger at 10:26 am Saturday ( Sydney time)

The post begins with the phrase "One of the additional new features....."

Its the second screen shot in the post.
-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:58 am

That is the 3 Canadian Infantry Division. They do have a grey divisional symbol in the game. I will ask one of the other, more historically minded, members of SSG whether this is their real symbol, or whether it was just not known, and get back to you.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby JSS » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:00 am

Joe,

That's one of the Canadian divisions. Their unit symbols were colored patches. Colors were blue (2d Canadian ID), grey (3d Canadian ID), and green (4th Canadian AD) for units taking part in Overlord.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Brubaker » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:25 pm

Beat me to it Marty :(

This is correct information about the Canadian units. In fact most Canadian units used simple colored patches to denote during ww2.

Here is an excellent resource for information regarding the above. It explains all you could want to know:

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/cefform.htm

It is of course part of a much larger website about the Canadian Military

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:00 pm

Brubaker,

Excellent web site (its the one I use for info on the Canadian Army :D )

Anyone looking for unit patch info can find it by selecting insignia link in the left hand frame of the site's home page. Note their graphic shows 3d Canadian ID as having a blue-green patch but the actual photos show clearly that its grey or a blue-grey color.

Really the cefform link! Hadn't used that one before! :D

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Robjess » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:43 pm

Here I am planning my next turn.. looking at Carentan it is clear that I am about to lose it.. I think if I dont try and vacate it now my men will be cut off.. infact I dont even know if they will be able to get out as it is..

Here is a look of the frontline around Carentan just to show you how dire the supply situation is there.. (units have been removed from the map).

You can see that all roads leading into Carentan are in Allied hands, and the one hex corridor to its south west runs through the swamp - thats not good for the Germans sitting in the city as they are about to starve!

Infact there is nowhere I can position a supply truck which is going to help them out.. so I guess I better try and vacate.. now thats going to be easier said then done..

So how did it end up? Well I managed to pull off two attacks (overruns) on some Allied airborne doods that were to the east of Carentan. I they took losses and retreated.. but it didnt really relieve the pressure on Carentan.

Although technically I do hold the road heading into Carentan from the east.. but I dont think supplies will be able to get in.. So I have started to pull my troops out.. not giving it up completely - a garrison has been ordered to stay put and we have told them that we will send reinforcements as soon as we can (if we can at all).

Further to the east I have pulled my line back as the Allied air interdiction punishes me. Infact you can see that one Pnr Lehr Regt has been left stranded! Good grief.. that is not the sort of unit that I want to throw away.. but evidently someone forgot to include them when they handed fuel out!! They will shortly be enjoying the rest of the war in a POW camp!

The battle is really heating up around Villers Bocage..

Reinforcements to the area allowed me to conduct some counter attacks.. I managed to bag 1 brit recon unit and caused another to go scurrying..

You can see that even at the end of my turn I was still able to get some good combat odds - but it would have meant pulling men out of my line to do so.. something which I just dont want to do right now.. my main aim is to halt the allied advance.

You can see that Caen just to the top left of the image.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:51 pm

Robjess wrote:
......and the one hex corridor to its south west.....

Hexes are turned off :twisted:

Robjess wrote:
You can see ...Caen just to the top left of the image.

Yes and it looks very lovely :)

Great AAR. I look forward to the next part
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:13 pm

First, the good news for the turn... Carentan has fallen and is now in Allied hands. 2nd Armor have now joined the fray from their rest on Omaha.

The front now looks like ...

The german unit that was left behind in the red has been surrounded and dispatched. This is the time that the Allied has to work out what to do next. The ground is about to become mud, which means the supply situation is going to be very bleak for a couple of turns. Also, Axis points for towns like Cherbourg, are going to get very large unless captured. When the weather gets better, and the supply has improved due to the Mulberry's, evolving supply units and additional reinforcing units, attacks will have to get under way. I have no idea which to do first and will look to Rob for guidance. Maybe he can vacate another area...

The sea power is now essentially useless as the Axis line is beyond the range of naval artillery, except for parts of the Cherbourg pennisula.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Manny » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:25 pm

What sort of ranges do the naval guns have in BiN ?
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:54 pm

Not sure of the technical data on the naval ranges.. but they can pretty much JUST reach the outskirts Caen and Carentan in some instances.. (if you drive them up the beach :))
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:10 pm

German spies tell me that Roger's supply situation isnt the best.. (well actually I fed him full of wine last night and he told me :))

Around Carentan - which is now in Allied hands.. :( Roger has advanced some of his units into some clear terrain infront of my units defending in the woods and bocage.. So Im onto them!

Heavy losses are taken on both sides (2 steps each) with Roger's Allied units retreating.. (notice anything different in the CRT/Odds in the image above?)

Overall, in front of Omaha I have pulled back yet again. I do note that whilst did end up taking my stranded Pnz Lehr regiment prisoner - they actually did put up a bit of a fight and Roger did take some losses in the process :) [of course the Allied propaganda failed to mention this during his Turn summary]

Around Villers Bocage, some UK Marines got a bit too excited and over extended - so I took to them also.. they wont be taking part in the battle any longer.. and there their friends next to them look ripe for the picking next turn unless Roger pulls them back or reinforces them.

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion