Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Fantassin » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:28 am

Twinkle wrote:<> Anyway, Fantassin defeated Matthew and advance to semi-final against Pterrok. I have already draw side in this battle, but I like to ask all remaining participants if you want to play both sides against each other for semi-final and final. <>

One game or mirror, either way is fine for me 8)

pterrok wrote:<> I really, REALLY hope I get Axis if it's a one game deal! Of course, if it's mirrored I can lose TWO games...joy!

As this scenario favors the germans, winning with the russians would be far more remarkable !

I guess we have to wait for the other participants' opinion.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:21 pm

lack of oppinions means that we go ahead as intended, although I would have liked if the remaining battles were fought from both sides... The German side has a bit to many victories for this scenario to be fully balanced.

Fantassin (allied) vs. Pterrok (axis) is semi-final number 1.

Cpt Feathersword will play the winner between Flashman (allied) and Thor (axis) in semi-final number 2.

I will be away for 5 days or so, withour much acces to computers, so really urgent requests regarding this tourney is better sent to Robjess.

best regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Flashman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:40 am

Unfortunately Thor and I ended our second round game in a 0 -0 tie. I have just started a tie breaker with switched sides.

I have to say that I think the Russian forces are so inferior that I refuse to take the initiative. So it was a pretty boring game.
Flashman-

Indecision is the key to flexibility!
ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pterrok » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:29 am

Whoo hoo! I proved that the Axis can lose to the Russians in this scenario! :oops:

It was very eerie playing Fantassin as he defended with the Soviets very much like I would have--though maybe a bit more aggressively--and it didn't allow my Axis many opportunities to get rolling...In a nutshell:

He started the game with his first attack rolling a 6. He said he felt it was a good omen; I told him I would have taken it as a BAD omen since all he could do was roll worse going forward whereas I would have to roll better. He was right and I was wrong as by the end of the game I rolled six 1's and six 2's and had something like a 2.64 dice average whereas he was way up there--over 4? (I forgot to bring the screenshot and he'll have the answer if he sees this.)

However, though the bad rolling kept him alive, a bad, BAD mistake by me led to my entire desperate situation: When I was moving a rec unit forward I was calculating 3 OPs/hex for his units moving to attack me, and they didn't have enough OPs to get there. But they were going to go through forest and the OPs for leg is only 2 in forest! Doh! So not only could he get there, he overran me and those 24 VPs put him in the lead.

I had to really scramble to try and force SOMETHING to happen to make that up; I managed to push him out of line and kill an Infantry, but then two attacks in a row on that same turn that would really have blown a hole in his line came up 1 and 2 so he stood there without retreating. He pushed me back and snuck in with one of his full strength tanks and managed to roll the 6 he needed to kill another rec unit of mine and so I was still 6 VPs down.

Desperate to win rather than to hold onto a Draw loss, a gray unit made a suicide attack which would drive him red and leave him to be killed next turn, all for a 50% chance of forcing a support stack of his to retreat which could have left them open to be overrun--but of course the garrison unit guarding them stood firm so I'll never know exactly how the stack would have split up and if it was a good thing to try in the first place--losing the 30 VPs for the infantry still left me only at a Draw loss.

I couldn't just give up and so I tried one last desperate push into the center of his line right in the middle of the map. I pushed him back and poured into gap, forcing another stack back in the process--and again it was just barely enough to push him back, I didn't get hits on him! (His own attacks were responsible for taking the hits off his tanks; it seems like when I pushed back his stacks, his tanks always escaped damage and I had to kill the other units on the follow throughs!)

The OTHER little garrison unit was sitting there begging to be killed, so I went for it but he managed to survive in the face of a furious assault--and then central command noticed something horrible! I had pushed too hard and the four units were sitting in a clear hex with 6 clear hexsides around them! Doh! I had units in two of those hexsides, but they were clear hexes and he could push them back before the main attack...I added it all up and he was going to get an overrun on the stack unless I kept all four the units in the hex AND moved a mass of units on the one side to prevent a shift due to the number of steps I had.

This would cut down on the number of possible retreat slots, but if he launched a little attack and I retreated, the other units would be overrun! Losing ANY unit would put me at a Marginal loss...So I made the oddest decision I've ever made--I deliberately stacked the retreat hexes to 4 deep so that he couldn't push ANY units out of the forward stack, and maybe he couldn't get me out of the adjacent hexes before the main attack if he wanted to run the attacks that way.

What I completely overlooked but that Fantassin didn't is that he could make the attack and leave a hole open to force me to retreat away from my lines. He could only mount a 1-2 +1 100% two-dice attack which is a 2/3 retreat chance--I would have LOVED taking the hits myself to put A4 on him!--but it came up very innocuous like an A2-D2R where that R was the key.

So now I'm behind his lines but at least we're all together and he still can't get an overrun, but he launches another low-odds attack and again we both just get nicked which is the best possible result for him. He piles into the gap between my line and my stranded units...

I'm still alive at a Draw loss instead of definitely being at a Marginal loss, so my ploy worked! Two of the stranded units are red and two gray, but I have a 2/3 chance of forcing him out of the way and relieving them, which would get them into a hex with two river hexsides. What did I roll? A 1! So now I have a 1-2 100% two-dice attack trying to get a 5 or 6 to get him to retreat, and I roll a 4,4. Sigh.

The dreams of a thousand year Reich come to a bloody halt on the Russian steppes...

If it seems I might be blaming the dice for losing the game--I'm not. I DO blame MYSELF for the first bad mistake--not losing that one rec unit would have given me the points lead and so the game would have been completely different. But the other factor present throughout the entire game was Fantassin--he's GOOD! So if I had rolled better the game WOULD have swung in completely different directions, but he would have been there in front of me allowing as little as possible, waiting for me to make a completely DIFFERENT mistake. The outcome would have been different, and yet it may very well have remained the same!

Good game, Fantassin--you had better win in the finals! :D
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:36 am

pterrok wrote:<>I rolled six 1's and six 2's and had something like a 2.64 dice average whereas he was way up there--over 4? (I forgot to bring the screenshot and he'll have the answer if he sees this.)
4.06 average in 16 dice rolls (with two 1's, two 6's and a lot of 5's).

pterrok wrote:What I completely overlooked but that Fantassin didn't is that he could make the attack and leave a hole open to force me to retreat away from my lines
Yes I like that trick but it could backfire.

pterrok wrote:If it seems I might be blaming the dice for losing the game--I'm not. I DO blame MYSELF for the first bad mistake--not losing that one rec unit would have given me the points lead and so the game would have been completely different. But the other factor present throughout the entire game was Fantassin--he's GOOD! So if I had rolled better the game WOULD have swung in completely different directions, but he would have been there in front of me allowing as little as possible, waiting for me to make a completely DIFFERENT mistake. The outcome would have been different, and yet it may very well have remained the same!

We'll never know but I must say that pterrok is a very tough opponent and his number-cruching reputation is not at all usurped.

pterrok wrote:Good game, Fantassin--you had better win in the finals! :D

Thanks pterrok, I'll try. If only Cpt. feathersword ... :twisted: :)
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:07 am

It will be a pleasure to lose to you again Fantassin :roll: , if I get there.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Islander » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:32 am

Rats, there go my chances. See, I beat Pterrok (albeit on a draw), and lost to Fantassin. So if Pterrok had won the whole thing, I could then say I was able to beat the winner. :D

Alas, it was not to be.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Islander
Captain
Captain

Semi-final #2 can start...

Postby Twinkle » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:18 pm

Semi-final #2 is about to start as Flashman advanced beating of the attacks from Thor. The winner will play Fantassin in the final.

Cpt Feathersword (axis) vs. Flashman (allied)

I am unable to update the tourney ladder until I get back home to Japan.

Regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:19 pm

Hope you are having a good break Twinkle..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:14 pm

Kraftwerk concert on Friday... :) and a lot more good music this weeks thursday/friday/saturday...

but it starts to itch in my hands, need to do some serious neewbie kicking (I mean training a newbie or two) as well as get started on Lee's "Wolf" tourney. Well, just nine more days of vacation and I'm back in Japan.

regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:02 pm

Arhhh Kraftwerk gig! You lucky sod... "we are zee Robots.."
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Calling Flashman

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:25 am

Flashman, I need your email address, post here or respond to my PM.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:57 am

God save me, I have to face Fantassin again, 3 tourney's and 3 games vs. him. I lost to him in Rommel, he is bitch slapping me in Last Stand and overall I am something like 0-7 playing against him, I see a pattern forming here and I don't hold out much hope, I am thinking of changing my name to "Fanatassin's Punching Bag".

Choose up sides Twinkle and let's have at it one more time for all the marbles.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:06 pm

:lol:
Welcome in the finals Cpt. Feathersword. :twisted:
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:44 pm

So it is at last time for the great final in this tourney. Fantassin will battle it out with Cpt. Feathersword. The draw was just done and Allied goes to Fantassin, so we have:

Fantassin (allied) vs. Cpt. Feathersword (Axis)

It seems like you two know each other well so start the fight.

Best regards
/twinkle

P.S. I'm just a couple of days from going home to Japan and the tourney ladder will be updated at that date.
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)