TAO4 Feature AAR

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Robjess » Thu May 20, 2004 11:05 pm

Did the interdiction hurt? Well it pinched me.. it wasnt a punch.. but it was a sharp pain and an indication of what is to come..

Here is what the supply looks like up front.. the darkened hexes are not getting any supply, and you can see where my units here have advanced this turn. The yellow hexes are getting supplies.. but they are minimal, and the green are in full supply. Roger may want to provide some more context around this, or correct me if I have interpreted that incorrectly.

Here also is a look at what most of my units look like that are in the front..

Notice the new fuel gauge on the unit display.. this is an indication of each units supply state and reserves.. red red red.. this tells you that the units are not carrying alot of fuel and if they cant replenish from supply trucks or other supply sources they are going to be going nowhere fast.

Elsewhere.. Elsenborn fell this turn... it was luck! I needed to roll a 6 for a retreat and I did.. it was my first combat of the turn... and after I rolled that I was committed to finishing the turn tonight :)

The other semi interesting spot is around Bastogne.. its not going to amount to much because Allied Interdiction next turn will put me in my place, but.. I did manage to kill a unit or two and my Recon unit has spied some soft targets in the centre.. I cant advise you how valuable Recon units are now in this game..

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Fri May 21, 2004 9:32 am

Well, for the sixth turn in a row I didn't attack. I hope Rob doesn't think I don't want to but I feel that, with current replacements and situation in mind, that it is probably better that I don't. Not only have I not attacked but I have given up Houffalize, Ettelbruck and Stavelot without a fight.

This seems to me to be the better part of valor for the moment, and I am a discrete sort of person.

One of the new features in the game is the action cycle button..

In this I have selected 'Support Units / Political'. This informs me that I have one and by hitting the cycle button it takes me to Bastogne, which is now historically defended by the 101st, and I do not intend to vacate this town, or at least not without a real fight. The cycle button selects types of units, so, for example, I can find the following support unit capabilities, Pontoon, AA, AP, Political, Bridge Repair and entrenchable units. There are also breakdowns for combat and artillery units. This allows an easy traceability if you suddenly find the need for someone to repair a bridge, or guard a junction against air interdiction.

In Rob's turn you will notice that there were two different colors in the supply map. The green means full supply but the yellow means that those units can't take replacements. The supply dump at Bastogne is a 'no replacement' supply which means that if I have to depend on it then the Axis player can then dig me out as they will only be able to receive replacements if a supply truck can get to them. They can fight their way out though.

The situation around Bastogne is ...

I am desperately trying to maintain a line while reinforcements continue to pour in. Laroche has to hold as it is important to choke off those supply lines. The 82nd arrive next turn and they will be shoved into the front line.

Now back to Rob, who can resume the attacking...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joe » Fri May 21, 2004 9:40 am

robjess wrote:
Notice the new fuel gauge on the unit display..

Is the fuel gauge directly connected to the number of bullets or are they independant?
-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Fuel gage

Postby Carl Myers » Fri May 21, 2004 10:00 am

>> Is the fuel gauge directly connected to the number of bullets or are they independant? <<

It is like Rob said, the fuel gage determines the unit's mobility. Look at their movement allowances.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Fri May 21, 2004 10:11 am

In KP there was always a reserve, it is just that in BIN we show you what the reserve is and have adapted the rules somewhat. For example, the enhanced move Ops come out of the reserve. If your reserve is low then your ability to use enhanced move to break an enemy line is reduced. However, if the reserve is maxed out, as the Axis recon units start in TAO4, can they move. A supply truck behind the front line can be overrun with ease. IT is important to keep a solid front line to minimize the chance of this, which is the reason I abandoned 3 towns in the last turn.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joel137 » Fri May 21, 2004 5:11 pm

I notice some numbers above the AF and DF of a unit in the unit display.

E.g. the US 502 parachute has a +6 and +7

are those divisional integrity bonuses contribution to the combat factors?
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Fri May 21, 2004 5:23 pm

Yes, Divisional Integrity now applies seperately to attack and defense values, like the original TAO. It allows a bit more flexibility and has meanst the display had to be changed slightly.

Having played with the new stack system I can say that I like it better than the KP one, but I am slightly biased.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby hank » Fri May 21, 2004 10:26 pm

I just noticed in one of the prior pics a unit for a divisional HQ. Is that what I'm seeing?

If so, I think that's a great addition to the game. If not, what does McAulliffe's HQ unit symbolize? ... and is it mobile or fixed?

Having an HQ unit for either divisions or Corps was one of my wish list items for subsequent KP releases. Its a unit that's too significant to not be modelled on the battlefield (IMHO).

regards
hank
Major
Major

Postby Robjess » Fri May 21, 2004 10:45 pm

Hank have you read the whole thread? The HQ unit you are referring to is the new 'political' unit. It negates any retreats from that hex. The unit is fully editable as a support unit in the editor.. ie: can assign movement values and defense strengths etc..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Fri May 21, 2004 11:40 pm

Roger Keating wrote:Yes, Divisional Integrity now applies seperately to attack and defense values, like the original TAO. It allows a bit more flexibility and has meanst the display had to be changed slightly.

Having played with the new stack system I can say that I like it better than the KP one, but I am slightly biased.

Will the defense bonus for entrenchment be displayed in some like similar manner? And while I'm asking questions, will there be an indicator that a hex is overun proof?
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri May 21, 2004 11:48 pm

The info about whether a terrain type can be overrun or not is in the CRT screen.. as it currently is in KP. I sort of know what you are asking though - but really there is only such much Roger can do :) I think he suffers from my problem at times.. that is not enough hours in the day..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Sat May 22, 2004 4:23 am

robjess wrote:The info about whether a terrain type can be overrun or not is in the CRT screen.. as it currently is in KP. I sort of know what you are asking though - but really there is only such much Roger can do :) I think he suffers from my problem at times.. that is not enough hours in the day..

You mean the ability to enter the 4th dimension is lacking?

I guess you know what I mean, something to easily tell if a hex is overunalbe without going to the CRT. Actually the CA also is a current way to get the information and is fairly easy to do, come to think of it.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Sat May 22, 2004 9:13 am

We are still working on popups and including as much information in them as we can, there is just so much extra to do.

I have been reading up on Quantum Mechanics as I understand that if I can lower my information content enough I may just be able to be in two places as once, and from there who knows....
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Sat May 22, 2004 10:12 am

The German Commander thanks the Allied Commander for not taking the opportunity to severely kick my over extended units butts - but instead retreating and giving up some objectives :) Who said Roger wasnt a good sport.

Where it really matters though - right at the front, things are looking grim, as expected my tanks are running out of fuel - esp now that the Allied air force has come into play. And we havent seen the best (worst) of it yet!

Have a look at the 116 Panzer at the start of this turn..

He isnt in the red.. but he doesnt really have any fuel whatsoever.. infact all it is receiving is enough food for the men to get out and push it down hill.. you will notice from the above image that it doesnt have any reserves for extended movement. So just how far can it get on fumes this turn..

Not very far. Thats not a large movement radius..

But the situation is much worse elsewhere.. let me tell you about the plight of 2nd Panzer. Rushing over the River south of Laroche.. they now find themselves stranded without gas and looking into the eyes of the American Army.

In both of those images you can see the allied air interdiction markers which is causing me some headaches.

The German forces - esp their ARM start out with alot of reserves and are very mobile in the early turns.. but when they run out of juice then they get stranded in the difficult terrain of the Ardennes..

Overall not much else happened.. no fuel.. no advance. I even pulled some men back to try and get them some supplies.. There are more holes in my line then there are dimples on a golf ball..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Sat May 22, 2004 11:13 am

Pity I read this after my move, those 2nd armor guys are quite vulnerable. However, I was looking at my own line and it doesn't look that great at the moment. I had the 30th Infantry division to place this turn and had at least three good spots to truck them to. Finally I choose the best defensive area around Elsenborn. The Axis reinforcements, with fuel, will be arriving in the next couple of turns and I expect some movement of Axis forces around Monchau as there are significant points there.

However, a bit of attacking this turn...

My recon unit has been able to penetrate Rob's line and has accounted for three support units, all overruns. It is really nice to get the green die and even better when there is no chance of taking a loss. However, the recon unit may never see Allied lines again, but it was a moral thing after all.

The critical situation around Manhay is starting to look hard for the Axis player..

The Axis forces have a lot of punch power but the terrain is abysmal. Even if the die rolls your way and you advance there is a very good chance that it will be impossible to resupply the units. It is vital to take Manhay as it will clear the roads and a well placed flak unit can negate that interdiction.

The tide is turning ....
Roger Keating
SSG

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion