TAO 3 2nd Chance (Losers) Tornament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Vampire » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:17 am

Hi Hank, TheWolf,

got it, so no worries.

I'll try to put the mail adress in the profile.

Greetz, Vampire
Shiny Objects of Honour:
Image Image Image Image
Vampire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hank vs. Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:49 am

O.k. After the first try which seemed to garble up the game (I could only watch the computer make my moves :( ), the second try of the game between me and hank is roling now, I was lucky that some of my units didn't get killed :) . I will give an update on the battle as it continues.

Greetz, Vampire
Shiny Objects of Honour:
Image Image Image Image
Vampire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:20 pm

I think MaxBlaster has resigned from our game..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby thewolf » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:42 pm

If that's the case, you've made the final Rob. Congratulations...

Maybe I need to see if I can design some form of campaign bar for these 2nd chance tornaments :)

Gods ask me how... *wry grin*
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Winner of his FIRST Tornament match!

Current Matches
1: Burma as allies Vs Trojan
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Maxblaster » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:02 am

Everything was, according to me, going ok for the German panzers. Killed some 20 units in the first 10 turns, only lost 2. Most of the units were non-combats though.

Here is it where it went wrong.
I was able to hide my real intentions to Rob, pushing 2nd and 116th Panzer to Laroche and Manhay, masking Lehr division behind the LOS. If I would have got the opportunity to take these VP easily, I would have done it. But seeing the strong allied units north of Bastogne, I decided to take Bastogne anyway. Arrived there without a lot of resitance...
Around turn 11-12 I got the opportunity to pocket Bastogne, I had 10-1, panzer advantage of +1, but was not allowed to throw 1...of course...I got 1. Same turn up North, 2nd Panzer got the chance to isolate Monschau 4/6 to get a R... even spared some units to finish off the retreating divisions.
Yes, you guessed it: no use. NUTS, I give up.

If a newbie wants to play me Germans, mail me, I have never won as German up till now :( hope you can see the image of Bastogne area

Maxblaster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:11 pm

That image didnt show up.. email it to me and I can host it if you like..

Ok here's may take on it..

You did extremely well to take Elsenbourne.. as the Allies I dont usually lose that.. and when I lost it on Tun 8 it threw me.. so well done there! It was then going to be hard advancing there because I retreated back to the forests which meant you had to attack whilst sitting in the clear. I had the 2nd and 3rd ARM there which was then able to counter attack on any advance into the clear terrain. Monschau I kept reinforcing.. you really needed to get a R result as you mentioned to get me out of there.. so in other words you needed luck.. you didnt get it.

Personally, if I was you (and Im no expert), once Elsenborne fell and I retreated to the forest, I would have diverted most of my German attack units away from the area and hit Malmedy.. if/when that fell then I would have considered going back and picking on Monschau - but Im not saying you did anything wrong there.. just a personal view.

You were doing everything right around Manhey.. you have good units there and infact on the last turn before you resigned you had opened up a bit of a gap where you could have pushed through - we will get to the reason why you resigned in a minute.

Bastogne.. you didnt really do anything wrong.. except.. you didnt attack Bastogne. You attacked units around it.. and you tried to push behind it to surround it.. but overall I think you advance was too slow on to it.. from memory, Houffalize fell quite early, and Im not sure what you did with those units (Im playing 3 TAO games and it all a blur) maybe you sent them down to Bastogne or up to Manhey.. I cant recall.. but I do remember when Houffalize fell early I thought I was in deep shit.. and I think my email to you reflected that! Many of the really good TAO players like Roger (of course) and JSS (I havent played Tempest, Im too scared :)) - will if given the chance - esp early on as the Germans use extended movement rather then attack.. sometimes it will cause more grief to an allied player if you dont attack some of his units - but if you exploit holes in the lines.. esp when they are out numbered by German units.

Making a dash objectives and forcing units to retreat is better then attacking them outright. Thats just general advice to anyone reading this..

I had too many units around Bastogne for you try and surround it.. if you had been quicker to get to Bastogne or if I didnt have as many units there.. then that would have been a sound tactic I think.. you would have been better off with some direct assaults on Bastogne and tried for a 10-1 retreat result. My line was too strong for you to try and cut it off.. esp with interdiction which put any units you did attempt to do that with, into the red.

What caused you to resign was that you didnt protect your rear area's.. you let me send two Armoured cars up behind your lines in the south.. these units of mine werent going to take Berlin... but they didnt need to.. they did what I wanted them to do.. they completely cut your southern forces off and killed your supply. Thats the only thing that caused the game to come to an end.

I think overall, your advance was good.. could have been a bit quicker in the south and around Bastogne.. but Elsenborne and Houffalize falling early made my heart jump.. you could have been a bit luckier but your Die average was 3.64 which is fairly nice..

The score wasnt in your favour though which reflects that your general advance could have been quicker.

Overall though mate.. I thought it was a great game! There were some moments there where I was very very very very worried and early on I though we were going to go the distance.. Bastogne and the south bogged you down.

Btw, Im happy for a rematch or mirror game if you want
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Maxblaster » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:47 pm

You're 100% right, I gave up because of those two little arm cav units behind my lines...
Again wright in the North, don't attack against strong units, advance was nearly impossible...
But, as a German, if you don't leave your lines open, you simply don't have enough units at the front to attack.

Mailed the pic of Bastogne, you'll see your 4th ARM waiting to counterattack.

tx for the game
Image Image Image
Maxblaster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Brubaker » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:49 pm

I drew Max in the Last Stand tournament and he has had me worried from the first turn :(
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Hank vs. Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:51 am

The game is in round 8 and the germans are more or less stuck. The dice didn't help the german advance, the average after the sixth turn was well under 3, with a lot of ones thrown... They are now somewhere in front of the important cities (Houffalize, Bastogne, etc.), but taking them will be very difficult, a defensive line of allied troops runs from the north to the south.

Greetz, Vampire (allies)
Shiny Objects of Honour:
Image Image Image Image
Vampire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)