Run5 Forums Forum Index Run5 Forums

FAQFAQ RulesBoard Rules SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
Run5SSG WebSite  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Operation Crusader
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run5 Forums Forum Index -> Battlefront Scenario Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. Please email or post any suggestions or critiques (as Zanekin has done) because I will release a pacth in the next week or so to fix a couple of anomolies.

As to the not knowing what is coming your way, I included some of the 'ersatz' units in the game for this purpose (thanks for the idea Atomic). They can be used judiciously to fool the enmy with your intentions. I would recommend saving them for a while though because in the intitial fray they will not survive even the first enemy contact!

Brubaker
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brubaker wrote:

As to the not knowing what is coming your way, I included some of the 'ersatz' units in the game for this purpose (thanks for the idea Atomic).

Ah yes. I do remember the 'dummy' units from Operation Crusader. Good call.
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the units are a welcome addition. One thing i love about the desert warfare is that as the defender, you can never be 100% sure that your units will not be overrun by a tank rush as they move so far accross the open terrain. Makes for some really interesting strategies and woefull blunders as well. How can you truely defend an open desert?

zanekin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ersatz are good screening units too and their destruction not always worth the attrition price.
Stromb
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brubaker wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. Please email or post any suggestions or critiques (as Zanekin has done) because I will release a pacth in the next week or so to fix a couple of anomolies.

Brubaker

Well, i think that the map is a bit too big, the more when you consider that most of the combats take placein the upper part, as far as i've played. But the main problem it cause is on the strategic display, where you don't really see anything. Cropping the sea and a bit of the south part might helps ...

After that, there are two important scouting german units that the english is able to destroy at the first turn (i'll post name alter); that is embarrassing, because as my dear Zanekin adversary pointed, those units are very useful to Panzers. (and there is a big difference loosing units at start after playing your turn, with or without making mistakes, and before playing your turn ...)
Switching them with ersatz might equilibrate this, as ersatz units even if useful, don't have the combat value of those recon, which against english recon may count, for instance.
And that placement of unit to me doesn't justify the fact of simulating a surprise attack, also.

I'll post later other comments, even if i'm probably not the most experienced Battlefront player around here (Zany, Zany, wait next game we play Wink
Stromb
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Operation Crusader is not included in the ladder, sad thing Sad

Could anybody do something ?
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stromb, I will look into the situation with the recon units tonight. Are you sure it is the first turn they are destroyed?

Agree the map is too big Shocked I actually new this when designing it but couldn't find a solution at the time so left it as it was. Many people have commented on this. I think we will just have to wear it on this occasion. I have learnt from it though.

brubaker
zanekin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big map was sometimes in the previous wargames a solution to avoid what the OMA remedies: the "against-the-wall" syndrome (like in KT' OMG in BiI).
For me (maybe because I'm currently playing the allied side Wink ) the size only matter in the south part since a reinforcement (from the OMA) takes 2-3 turns to reach only the rear echelon.

Beside that I'm still investigate in deep this scenario and find a curious item in the CRT chart: the oasis and gunpits/trenches shares the same CRT except for the 7-1 row... A click error ?

Stromb
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Units concerned are from 3rd Aufklarung Bataillon in hex 135-72 / 137-73, and yes during his first turn the Allies may destroy one or two of them, we tested that twice and i'm sure ZAnekin can confirm this Smile
Stromb
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanekin wrote:

For me (maybe because I'm currently playing the allied side Wink ) the size only matter in the south part since a reinforcement (from the OMA) takes 2-3 turns to reach only the rear echelon.

i'm currently experiencing the same problem with some reinforcements that come from Coastal road / Benghazi OMA and that take a good amount of times to reach the front. Minimum 2 turns for reaching the hell's gate that is Tobrouk, and at least twice this time if not more to reach south-west front, depending where you want / need to send them precisely. In our game, we're struggling around Bir el Gubi for instance and units from XX Corps would have been needed there .
I probably made mistake of not using well OMA / Movement, though, so this is perhaps not a "design error", unless Allies have more ease than Axis to reinforce ... And even in this case, i understand it may be for simulating Allies first strike advantage.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanekin wrote:

Beside that I'm still investigate in deep this scenario and find a curious item in the CRT chart: the oasis and gunpits/trenches shares the same CRT except for the 7-1 row... A click error ?

No that is intentional Zanekin. The Oasis CRT is different only in that at 7:1 odds it can allow an overrun on a high roll involving armour. The Gunpits do not allow it.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stromb wrote:
Units concerned are from 3rd Aufklarung Bataillon in hex 135-72 / 137-73, and yes during his first turn the Allies may destroy one or two of them, we tested that twice and i'm sure ZAnekin can confirm this Smile

Thanks Stromb. The units will now begin the game entrenched to avoid being spotted up in the first turn and destroyed in the second without having moved. The Allies can still attempt to destroy them this way but with far less sucess and of course alerting their parent divisions to the north Shocked
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stromb wrote:
In our game, we're struggling around Bir el Gubi for instance and units from XX Corps would have been needed there .

I am sure the Italian Generals would have agreed! Smile

The Italian armour units you are speaking of arrive from the Benghasi direction beginning the 3rd or 4th day of battle. They are in mostly poor condition having being virtually destroyed in the battles the previous summer. On good roads they can make about 30km a day and take usually 2 -3 days ro reach the El Gubi area. Better to make use of the quality forces in the area I would think....
Stromb
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Brubaker"]
Stromb wrote:
The Allies can still attempt to destroy them this way but with far less sucess and of course alerting their parent divisions to the north Shocked

Sounds better to me.

That said, their current immediate destruction seriously alerted DAK officers, trust me ! Wink
zanekin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my old stromb, but I confirm that no units of the 3rd Aufklarung can't be destroyed on the first Allied turn. So as soon as the first Axis turn,event if i's fixed, the player can reinforce this formation with flak units...

Someone may complain about the same example in Sidi Rezegh airfield.
Brubaker, I'm sure you understand that this shouldn't be modified.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run5 Forums Forum Index -> Battlefront Scenario Design All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: