A TAO4 AAR...

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Papa Smurf » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:40 am

Start of Allied turn 20. Axis ahead by 983 (projected 783). 30 Allied destroyed, 32 Axis destroyed

The only Axis attack of note is an important one. Pieper spots the weakness in my line (a 2ID regt which forgot to dig in) and immediately attacks, overrunning the regt and pushing them back with heavy casualties. 1SS Pz push into the breach with the recon abteilung recapturing St Vith and cutting off most of 2AD.

102 Cav Recon are allowed to survive which gives them an opportunity for further 'exploration' behind enemy lines.

The Allied turn is a bad one for the Axis. 102 Cav recon filter past blocking german troops and uncover another supply convoy, this time 6Pz Armee. More Schnapps is added to the American stockpile. 11AD continue into the bulge at Malmedy, but the 101st are diverted as they spot an opportunity near Aywaille to overrun 12SS Pz recon, allowing our own recon troops to capture Stoumont.

Another infantry regiment is destroyed SW of Malmedy, and finally a massive attack against St Vith destroys 1SS Pz Recon and allows 2AD to withdraw back into supply.

Things are little better in the south. Combined attacks by 4, 9 and 10 armoured divisions lead to several breaks in the German lines and the loss of 2 more units (243 StuG and 25 PzGr Recon). A withdrawal appears inevitable here to prevent several German divisions being surrounded and to hold on to Ettelbruck.

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Papa Smurf » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:42 am

Start of Allied turn 21. Axis ahead by 754 (projected 194). 31 Allied destroyed, 39 Axis destroyed

Nothing of note in the Axis turn. 102 Cav are destroyed as expected, and a 2 hex withdrawal in the north allows Werbromont to be liberated by Allied forces. The combined capture of Werbromont and Stoumont has caused the Axis projected score to drop dramatically.

In the northern sector 7AD and 11AD attack SW of Malmedy and destroy the Tigers of 301 Schwere Panzer and the Fusilier Battalion of 246 VGD. On the eastern side of the bulge a mix of units complete the encirclement of 3 infantry regiments and 9Pz Recon.

In the south American attacks are sparse as all 3 armoured divisions plus 4ID pull out of the line and into reserve for the next attack. 115Pz Bn/15PzGr is the unit provisionally targetted for this next attack (Pz Lehr recon is also in the same hex)

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Papa Smurf » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:56 am

Start of Allied turn 22. Axis ahead by 622 (projected 142). 31 Allied destroyed, 41 Axis destroyed

The only Axis attacks this turn are overruns against CCR 7AD and their supporting engineers SW of Malmedy. Heavy casualties are inflicted on our Shermans by the King Tigers of 501SS heavy tank battalion, and we are forced to retreat (both units down to 1 step)

The Allied response was to launch a series of 4-1/5-1 attacks against 1SS Pz regt and 20SS PzGr/9SSPz which led to the destruction of both units (6 steps) and the capture of Joachim Pieper. At this point the Axis withdrew back to the West Wall to lick their wounds (Axis surrender). The projected score now indicated an Allied victory was guaranteed.
Last edited by Papa Smurf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Papa Smurf » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:01 am

Here's the situation at the game end (actually the beginning of Allied turn 22 as this is the last file I have to work with):

And the casualty map:

Thanks to Unactuality for playing a cracking game!

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Fantassin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:56 am

And thanks to you for this splendid AAR. 8)
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:22 am

Yeh thanks great AAR. 8)

However I fear all the German players will now plant a defensive tiger unit or other four shift anti-shock unit in that clear terrain north of St Vith. :lol:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:05 am

Stay behind the river ? No way ! Monschau is too a juicy target to let it in Allied hands ... :twisted:
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Papa Smurf » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:05 am

Fantassin wrote:Stay behind the river ? No way ! Monschau is too a juicy target to let it in Allied hands ...

That comment has just made me think about your attack plan as the Germans. I note from your AARs that you push hard in this area, and obviously it works quite well for you :P but I just can't see an easy way to pull off a successful attack north of the river. I'd be keen to learn how you break through the Allied lines around Elsenborn. That's if you don't mind sharing your trade secrets of course 8) Perhaps you could 'educate' me in a PBEM game sometime :wink:

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Fantassin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:21 am

Sometimes you don't have to break through enemy lines, you just have to convince your opponent that his best interest is to leave the area. :wink:
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Previous

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion