A TAO4 AAR...

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Papa Smurf » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:37 am

Start of Allied turn 13. Axis ahead by 1443 (projected 2493), 26 Allied destroyed, 4 Axis destroyed

Poor dice rolls for the Axis this turn, but they get the result they need to free 2Pz, although 304 PzGr are left behind due to lack of fuel and will be forced to surrender next turn.

The rest of the front is fairly quiet. A few attacks in the north are broken up due to bad dice, and the rest of the German army seems to have accepted that this is as far as they are going, and are content to straighten the line and dig in.

The south is a similar story. Panzer Lehr have been sucked into the fight against 4AD, and that TD unit (657 s. Pjgr) still doesn't dig in :)

10AD decide to take advantage of this lapse, and with support from 82AB launch an overrun attack against 657 Panzerjager. We get a successful overrun with no R result which allows a follow up attack to destroy the Jagdpanzers, and Shermans and halftracks pour through the breach into the German artillery pools. 4 Nebelwerfer units, a battery of 105mm Howitzers and a FlaK Regt are all overrun, despite my ability to roll repeated '1's (which ultimately lets another arty unit escape). The loss of all that artillery will hopefully reduce the effectiveness of the inevitable counterattack....

2AD move up to the line SW of Werbromont. For the life of me I can't remember why I did this as there is absolutely nothing to be gained by slogging through heavy woods against quality German infantry....

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:13 am

Fantassin, thanks for correcting me. Did you know that in Operation Nordwind (Attack on Alsace-Lorraine, Strasbourg) that the 6.SS Gebirgsdivision captured prisoners and when the allies reached their base where they were they let them go. That shows some kindness, now 1.SS LAH division wold never do that.

Love the AAR! We need more things like this.

Postby Papa Smurf » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:30 am

Love the AAR! We need more things like this.

How about your 1st round KP tourney game :wink:

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Papa Smurf » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:34 am

Start of Allied turn 14. Axis ahead by 1352 (projected 2317). 26 Allied destroyed, 12 Axis destroyed

The Axis have to react to the breakthrough of 10AD, and troops are seen streaming to the Bastogne area. 15PzGr and 9Pz arrive in the vicinity to block any further penetration, and 6SS are seen heading south from Stavelot, presumably also to counterattack down south.

Things have stabilised near Laroche, and the rest of the front is quiet.

On the Allied turn we really strike lucky. After rolling an obscene number of 1's last turn, the dice come good this turn and Bastogne falls. 3 consecutive high rolls destroy 1129/560ID in the city, and elements of 82AB and 5ID take up defensive positions in the city. In the north 2ID and 99ID attack Green 2 and force a retreat. 2AD and 3AD are pulled out of the line and swing around the northern flank heading for the Elsenborn area.

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

http://philbevan.members.winisp.net/run5/tao4/t15/10ad_attac

Postby Papa Smurf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:17 am

Start of Allied turn 15. Axis ahead by 1368 (projected 1753). 26 Allied destroyed, 13 Axis destroyed

The German turn begins with a counterattack against the Bastogne salient. The flanks are attacked, and units of 82AB and 10AD are pushed back by the massed panzers. CCR/10AD and 6 Cav Recon are left isolated and also come under heavy attack.

The only other attack comes south of Laroche where 10SS Pz force back units of 30ID in one final attempt to capture the town.

The rest of the front remains largely static. However in the north, my attack against Green 2 has seperated the fusilier and TD units...

Around comes the American turn. A quick calculation of the odds around Bastogne indicates that only a roll of '6' can force the retreat required to free the cut off units, so it looks like they are lost. I turn my attention instead to the north. 2ID attacks 506SS s.Pj and rolls...a '6'! In hindsight, I'm glad a got that 6 here instead of freeing 10AD at Bastogne, as now we have a hole in the German line just as 2AD and 3AD are starting to arrive in the vicinity to exploit it. But for the moment it is only 7AD Recon that can break through.

They charge forward towards the heavy artillery identified by our observers and overrun it, then spot a valuable prize - it appears that a German supply convoy was on it's way to this sector with shells and Schnapps for the artillery, so this is commandeered by 7AD as well. That's 2 Axis supply trains destroyed.

CCR/10AD is ordered to hold out for as long as possible, but instead decides to go down in a blaze of glory by attacking German rear positions. An artillery unit is destroyed, but the nearby Supply truck escapes.

In the far south, 4AD and 75ID move into hidden reserve positions ready to join 4ID in an attack on Echternach and Beaufort...

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Papa Smurf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:08 am

Start of Allied turn 16. Axis ahead by 1348 (projected 1693). 28 Allied destroyed, 17 Axis destroyed

As expected, CCR/10AD and 6th Cav Recon are surrounded and overrun this turn, and 6SS launch an attack to retake Bastogne. Unfortunately for them, the 6 comes up as the wrong dice in the 2 dice attack, so the defenders hold firm ... just.

In the north the Germans are unable to launch a counterattack against 7AD Recon, which is a nice surprise. It would appear that relocating to the Bastogne sector has depleted fuel stocks for many of the German panzers, and Allied air power is also limiting their movement. However both 9Pz and 9SS Pz are seen moving out of the line in the direction of Elsenborn.

Priority number 1 for our northern breakthrough is to establish positions out of the clear terrain. There are still enough powerful German units to decimate our forces if we have to fight out in the open. 7AD Recon pushes on and captures the undefended town of St Vith, destroying several artillery batteries in the process. Behind them 2AD, 3AD, 7AD and 2ID along with as many supporting units as can be spared from the line, pour into the gap and attempt to push into the forested areas to the east and west. Some progress is made in the west, but we still end the turn with a number of units out in the clear...

In the south, 4AD leads the attack against 276VGD, 212VGD and elements of the newly arrived 79VGD. The green 987/276VGD on the right flank of 212VGD break and run, and are mown down by the American tanks, leaving 212 VGD somewhat exposed. Further attacks are made along 212VGD front to wear them down, but no significant gains are made.

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Papa Smurf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:19 am

Start of Allied turn 17. Axis ahead by 1295 (projected 1325). 28 Allied destroyed, 20 Axis destroyed

Only one attack by the Germans this turn, and it's at Bastogne again. The 6SS surge forward, but once again the dice do them no great favours, and they fail to push the defenders from the town. 6SS then get pulled out of the line, presumably to head north, but we still need to take some action here to avoid Bastogne behing recaptured when the dice turn good for the Germans!

In the north there are still no counterattacks. I'm not sure if this is due to a poor supply situation caused by the loss of that supply truck, or whether the appearance of 3 American armoured divisions in the breach has taken the German command by surprise. Either way, we're not complaining :)

In the south, 212VGD falls back and shuffles it's regiments around. Several of them are out of supply...

Unfortunately we don't take full advantage of the problems that 212VGD are having. Poor dice mean we will have to be content with making their supply situation worse. However things are better around Bastogne. 14/5Fj Division are pushed back then overrun east of Bastogne by 82AB and 10AD (red circle). 10AD recon then pushes forward to exploit the gap. Once again we find German artillery perilously close to the front line, and 3 batteries of heavy artillery are destroyed, along with another supply convoy - prisoners identify it as 7 Armee Supply (red crosses). Intelligence reports indicate that the Germans are now down to only 3 core supply units + OB West supply...

Up in the northern 'bulge', 7AD Recon once again leads the way, this time swinging in a hook round to the NE, straight into Losheim. If we can hold on here that should make the German positions west of the town untenable. We make little progress in widening our bulge to the east or west, but are able to setup solid defensive positions in the forests around St Vith.

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Joel137 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 am

Fun read!

Its getting real interesting now.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:48 am

Mmm ... I wouldn't bet a penny on Axis chance to recover from the northern breakthrough.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joel137 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:48 am

Fantassin wrote:Mmm ... I wouldn't bet a penny on Axis chance to recover from the northern breakthrough.

Neither would I, buts it shows how quickly the game can turn around, early on it seemed to me that the axis was doing so well . . .

Of course this observation may explain my losses to you in tournaments :)
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Papa Smurf » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:24 am

Fantassin wrote:Mmm ... I wouldn't bet a penny on Axis chance to recover from the northern breakthrough.

You're right there, but there was still a nervous moment to come for me...

Joel137 wrote:Neither would I, buts it shows how quickly the game can turn around, early on it seemed to me that the axis was doing so well . . .

For the first 12 turns I was pretty despondant about this game, I really thought I'd blown it with my cock ups in the first few turns. But it was still darned good fun, especially the see-saw battle to encircle/free 2Pz around Laroche. Then the dice and circumstance fell in my favour, and as you say things swung rapidly back towards the Allies.

I really hope whatever SSG have up their sleeves next involves some free flowing back and forth battles like this one. I have to agree with Sorcerer that the other scenarios in BiN, whilst fun, don't hold the same excitement as TAO4. Any comments to add, Rob or the SSG guys? Just give us a little teaser? :wink:

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:06 am

I have said this a few times.

The most enjoyable scenarios are those that ebb and flow both ways. The least enjoyable are those where one side is constantly attacking and the other constantly defending.
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joel137 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:01 am

Yea, unfortunately history doesn't always give us ebb and flow campaigns :(
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Papa Smurf » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:19 pm

Start of Allied turn 18. Axis ahead by 1126 (projected 941). 28 Allied destroyed, 25 Axis destroyed

Well the projected Axis total is back below 1000 after the fall of Losheim and the casualties last turn. But the Axis commander isn't content to sit back and hold on. In the north 2ID take a beating in the clear terrain, but strangely a regiment from 18VGD chooses to follow up with an advance into the vacated hex. This is a move they will regret shortly. The battering ram of II SS Pz Korps continues to pound at Laroche, flanking it once again in the north.

The green circled unit is a FlaK Bn which appears to be protecting the trucks of I SS PzKorps supply from the jabos. More on this later...

In the south, 6SS fare badly against 10AD Recon, missing their overrun with a '1'. 8) Elsewhere the Germans pull back and straighten their lines.

The Allied counterattack in the south doesn't acheive too much this turn, but we continue to bludgeon 212VGD. 10AD Recon spots no further juicy targets so pulls back into the line.

In the north we predictably annihilate 294/18VGD in the clear terrain before they have chance to dig in. 3AD also manage to push into the forests south of Malmedy and find some better defensive terrain.

2AD Recon and 38 Cav get an overrun lit up on 74 Flak which is the unit providing AAA cover for I SS PzKorps Supply. They punch through the thin screen of 9SS forces west of St Vith and successfully wipe out the 88's and trucks before they can react. The chances of their survival are close to nil, but this is a fair price to pay for the destruction of yet another Axis supply unit. The recon troops are ordered to abandon their Greyhounds and M20's and try to filter back into friendly lines.

The Axis supply situation must be getting pretty desperate now...

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby Papa Smurf » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:52 am

Start of Allied turn 19. Axis ahead by 1069 (projected 889). 30 Allied destroyed, 29 Axis destroyed

As expected the recon units in the north are destroyed this turn. The last radio transmissions from 2AD Recon indicated that 2Pz and 1SS Pz units were involved in the attacks and were last sighted in the Vielsalm area.

A few more overrun opportunities along the line for the Axis, but generally the rest of the front is fairly quiet.

The Allied turn sees some more probing in the north towards Deifeldt and various frontal attacks along the sides of the bulge. Contact is re-established with 7AD Recon in Losheim as the german infantry are forced to keep pulling back under constant pressure from a mix of units led by 7AD.

101AB are pulled out of the line and on to the road net in preparation for truck transportation into the bulge, and 11AD are also sent in that direction.

However there is one weak point in my bulge that I failed to notice....

In the south, 4AD leads an attack towards Beaufort, smashing through the Armoured cars of 11Pz Recon and capturing the engineer battalion in the town that was prepping the bridge for demolition. 988/276VGD are also pushed back and destroyed north west of the town.

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion