Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Fantassin » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:41 am

Just adding for those interested, here is a very small AAR of the 2nd Final between Cpt. Feathersword and me playing the Axis this time.
First Final was a draw, see my precedent post here

Turn 1 : standart opening (destroy 1 strongpoint from each garrison)

Turn 2 : switching to the center and pushing west
As me in our first game, Cpt. Feathersword sent the 5th Tank Corps towards Tschokmak so I switched forces to make an attack against the garrison and cavalry on that center hilltop. It resulted in no damage (rolled a '1') but garrison will be isolated.

Turn 3 : wining the game
Cpt. Feathersword sent the 5th Tank Corps to the rescue of the isolated garrison. In the north he put one of the 18th tank brigade one hex north-NE of the 2 SS Panzer regiments (just across the river). It gave me a 8-1 overrun opportunities I didn't let pass. First attack resulted in a D2R, the two panzer regts and the 1st SS recon followed up with a 10-1 overrun killing the unit for 48 VP. Cpt. Feathersword resigned at this point.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:50 am

It seems I need a remedial math course as I calculated he could only bring a 5-1 to bear on that hex. Somehow I miscalculated the OP's cost of some units :oops: .
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pterrok » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:31 am

That's OK, I lost as the AXIS to Fantassin by doing a similar miscalculation!

I pressed on and tried to recover and COULD have--if he had just made a mistake...

To prevent later mistakes on my part I actually--and this is the ONLY game I would do this for--took screenshots and plastered ATT and DEF numbers on the Soviet stacks so I wouldn't have to keep them in my head.

Then I ran through the attacks I was going to make and saw what I could get where and put the numbers of MY ATT and DEF afterwards...I justified it by saying I was going to do an AAR! :lol: I still got a turn a day done, though.

(And if this sounds like a real odd thing to do and/or time intensive and like I need a life: yes/a bit, which is why only WW and Maybe Race to the Meuse could have this done/ desperately! :lol: ) (But Manny wants Kursk testing...)
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:43 am

Cpt. Feathersword wrote:It seems I need a remedial math course as I calculated he could only bring a 5-1 to bear on that hex. Somehow I miscalculated the OP's cost of some units :oops: .

I was just going to reply you to ask Pterrok for help :wink: but he answered before me :?

In fact, the combat advisor gave me an 7-1 overrun, but didn't take into account the 5th SS recon which was out of supply at the start of the turn. With it, the two artillery and my personal general, I got 8-1.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Manny » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:52 am

pterrok wrote:<snip> (But Manny wants Kursk testing...)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HA.
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:41 am

How is this tournament going?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:13 am

Fantassin won about a month ago.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:17 am

Arhh ok :) Well done.. and thanks for playing everyone :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Fantassin » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:35 am

Thanks and welcome back Robjess.

I guess you have a LOT of emails and posts to read. :wink:

You'll probably find some "official" report I sent you about Rommel and Last Stand at Korsun tournaments.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:37 am

Yep :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Wiking Whiteout v1.13 beta

Postby Chris Merchant » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:29 pm

after reviewing the posts regarding playbalance, I have made some changes. Many German units now start the game under strength; German supply is reduced to 50% for the first three turns, several Russian units have their attack factors beefed up a little and selected units now have the ability to regain lost steps.

I will post this as a beta - please let me know your comments.
Attachments
Wiking Whiteout v113 beta.zip
Wiking Whiteout v1.13 beta
(34.49 KiB) Downloaded 1675 times
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pterrok » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:26 am

Well, I am one of the THREE people who have downloaded it (where is everyone else?) and I can say that the lost steps for the Axis make QUITE a difference when playing vs myself in the way I would normally play v1.00.

Tentative Axis players of the first version who didn't attack will be even more at a loss about what to do which will result in more 0-0 Ties. Though it might mean the Allies can take it to an Axis in this situation--maybe getting off the schneid for a Draw win for themselves. I guess it means it probably IS much more balanced.

The only way to tell, though, is to play against someone! So who's up for a NON-ladder (since it's a beta) mirror set of games to see what we can see. State which side you'd like to play first...

BTW--I have patched my KP up to 1.12, so you'll need to be at that level, too.
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:46 am

I have retired from Korsun Pocket.

The information screens in BIN and BII are soooooo good, Korsun Pocket is now diffucult to play.

But the KP scenarios and ATD would make great scenarios for BII but a lot of work :shock:
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)