Battles in Italy AAR

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Twinkle » Sun May 29, 2005 12:54 pm

Axis turn 7 report...

Just a short note following by end of turn pics of the usual areas...

Seems like JSS have given up on the direct approach towards the city of Catania. It is also noted that the 2nd Arm is redirected towards the west. Makes me move back a bit. Note that the enormous and important infantry battlegroup he defeated were just a couple of second rated units, all important units cleverly escaped and formed a new and improved defensive line.

(Area #1, start of turn)

(Area #1, end of turn)

(Area #2, end of turn)

(Area #3, end of turn)

BTW; my enemy have been complaining a lot about lack of interdiction, just ridiculous... the allied air interdiction hurts me every singe turn, and during this last one not a ounce of supplies were brought down south. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers!,
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Husky AAR for 17 July 1943 (Turn 8)

Postby JSS » Sun May 29, 2005 2:53 pm

17 July 1943 -- Turn 8

Counterattack in the West is broken up today. Three battalions of infantry are collected and the US offensive resumes for the provisional corps. Commonwealth Forces catch a respite overrnight and are able to go over to the offensive. As reports come in Monty says something to the effect everyone would have done better to stay in bed as it becomes clear that disaster has set in.

American Forces

Italian forces taking part in the Licata counterattack lack all staying power and rout is underway as morning dawns.

2d Armor Division crushes opposition and Italian forces are either fleeing in disarray or being carted off to POW camp by the end of the day.

1st Infantry Division prepares to take Enna by storm.

By days end 1st and 45th Infantry Divisions make limited progress toward Enna.

Commonwealth Forces

Germans are unwilling to cling to the Commonwealth’s belt and pull back. A weak battalion is left as a blocking force.

1st Canadian Division clears the blocking force but suffers A2 in the effort (twice the Italian unit declines offers to surrender). Off to a horrid start things take a turn for the worse. 5th Division also suffers A2 as it pushes further onto the plains.

Finally adding real injury to the insult, the third big assault suffers A4 :shock:

On the heels of Turn 7’s strong German attack, the A8 debacle has temporarily left CW forces prostrate. Monty will get an earnest regrouping effort now :twisted:

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:53 am

Axis turn 8 report...

A very defensive turn, see maps below...

(Area #1, end of turn)

(Area #2, end of turn)

(Area #3, end of turn)

Cheers!,
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Report for 18 Jul 43 (turn 9)

Postby JSS » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:56 pm

18 July 1943 -- Turn 9

US forces push Northward from both Licata and Gela beachheads today. Commonwealth forces see an opportunity and launch a hasty attack to turn the German flank (Catania defense line).

American Forces

The provisional corps pushes north and establishes firm contact. Plans are made for an attack on the 19th (tomorrow).

An engineer group encounters a regiment of Italians while preparing a trail to allow a Northwestern flanking of Enna defenders. The Italians quickly volunteer to go to Malta :twisted:

1st Infantry Division clears Enna and makes an attack to secure the area North of Enna.. While successful, it adds to the already heavy fatigue.

The combined efforts lead to another regiment of Italians being surrounded. Surrender requests will be offered in the morning.

Commonwealth Forces

Seeing the pull back underway, a strong flanking attack is launched to induce the defenders to enter the open plain behind them…

The effort is successful and the German flank will be turned if the forces along the road can hold their gains until morning…

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:01 am

Axis turn 9 report...

Area 1)
Enemy operations during the last 24h have forced my Italians to move a bit towards Palermo. Nothing serious... Yeah, I like blowing bridges. :)

Area 2 + 3)
A regiment and a battalion of my Italian units surrender, terrible as I didn’t think that JSS could find the troops for that devious attack of his. The MC battalion of Liverno is surrounded and will not last long. The Englishmen attacks and push back a panzer battalion and its supporting units, WE MUST COUNTERATTACK!!!

A counterattack that deserved a screen capture...the very costly attack took out two enemy units. Nice!!! A had to leave the lone 1 step brigade for another turn, cannot risk anything by going after him, its better to keep the defenders in position.

29th PzGr reinforce and moves towards the Liverno division area (outside the map shown below). That will for sure stop any ideas that JSS have in regards to advancing on Palermo.

Cheers!,
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Operations for 19 July 1943 (Turn 10)

Postby JSS » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:49 pm

19 July 1943 -- Turn 10

After a day of hard pressing and heavy casualties yesterday, both US and Commonwealth forces try to rest and build up supplies.

American Forces

German forces pull back rapidly opposite the provisional corps. The terrain turns to steep hills with limited maneuver room for armored vehicles.

(US National Archives Photo)

3d Infantry Division is exhausted and cannot keep pace with 2d Armored Division; the lead Combat Command must pull back or risk being infiltrated.

II (US) Corps extends a friendly offer for the remainder of the Italians trapped North of Enna to surrender. While they politely refuse and put up a fight, they will be eating Kippers for breakfast anyways.

The majority of the day’s effort for II (US) Corps is focused on clearing out pockets of resisting Italians. Units not involved in the pocket reduction attempt to rest.

Commonwealth Forces

Yesterday’s attempt to turn the German flank near Catania ends in disaster. A brigade battle group is destroyed and the sight of bloody survivors dragging themselves back into friendly lines sends chills straight thru the morale of XXX (Br) Corps.

Last edited by JSS on Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Gregor Whiley » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:39 am

JSS,

Forcing Italian POWs to eat kippers seems to be sailing very close to the wind , having regard to the strict terms of the Geneva convention regarding the proper treatment of captured enemies. The world will be watching!

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Twinkle » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:44 pm

Axis turn 10 report...

Not much to report except that I lost contact with the Liverno MC battalion and a supporting infantry unit. The reinforcing 29th PzGr division is moving up and will cover that approach towards Palermo. I place a couple of minefields here as well. Just to make a point!

Not a single attack by the Commonwealth forces, I guess they had enough.

Not much happens on the roads towards Palermo, some small adjustment of my defensive locations.

I must admit that I have lost track on most US forces as they are out of sight, will be fun to see what JSS have in store for me.

Cheers!,
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby sorcerer » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:42 pm

Been following this AAR intently..as I am unsure whether to buy BiI or not.

Wanted to say that the turn of inactivity from the Allies in front of Catania is probably very significant in that it allows Twinkle to rearrange any forces. Reinforce units and dig it. Thus making it so much more difficult for JSS to punch through the line when the Com. units are refitted.

I would compare it to the clear terrain outside Caen with the Brits when one turn of no counterattacks is very welcome indeed and also you to reshuffle the deck.

Allan.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:06 am

sorcerer wrote:Reinforce units and dig it. Thus making it so much more difficult for JSS to punch through the line when the Com. units are refitted.

I always dig-in in every hex so that is not dependent on any attacks or not... and the Italian forces have since long spent the very few reinforcements. The need to conserve force is very real in this scenario as well as for the other BiI scenarios. Which is great in my opinion as it makes for very tense and fun campaigns. And having turns of inactivity during a 30 day battle is very realistic. All I can say is that I recommend this product.

Regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:46 am

From another thread:

Aberdeen wrote:Just been playing the Husky scenario, playing both sides to get an idea of timelines, and on turn 19 when the Sea lanes open up for the Commonwealth Navy on the East side of Sicily, the resulting bombardment support and interdiction (which can't be diluted through placement of AA) is SERIOUSLY OVERWHELMING ...! :shock:

A bit earlier in this thread (here) JSS showed how he pushed forward to be able to use air interdiction. In one screen shot you can see that Twinkle placed a fort, but for those of you who don't yet have the game, the key thing about forts is that they SUPPLY units in them! (Or which move through them in a turn.)

You may only place forts in supplied hexes AND they start at 1 step and increase in strength 1 step a turn until they are up to 4 steps. So for the Axis, placing the forts in the correct places to help his defense of Messina has to happen a long time beofre the Allies get there...

(And if anyone can tell me where THEY place them I'd sure like to know!)
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Aberdeen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:45 am

As was indicated earlier, once the Allied sealanes open on turn 19 up to hex 76,25 in the East, HMS Roberts mighty twin 15" guns can pound as far as 76,17, but the cruisers guns can only give artillary support as far as 74,20 ....

With this in mind, although 74,19 is a clear hex, to the East is Sea, and to the West is hills and mountains, so if you blew the bridge South of this position, the attackers SHOULD only have 2 clear hexes, across a river, to attack your fully functioning fort .... and failing this, the hills of 77,15 just South of Messina look inviting for defence .... ?

I realise that this is a LONG term view, but may well stall the allied advance long enough for Messina to action the Naval withdrawal of all those lovely Panzers .... (speaking of which, it would have been a nice touch to allow the Axis to exit units 'through' Messina for VP's, removing them from the conflict for, say, half a units VP's .... maybe only allowing 1 unit/turn to disengage from the conflict?)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aberdeen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:54 am

pterrok wrote:the key thing about forts is that they SUPPLY units in them!

Playing as the Japanese I have been taking advantage of this in the Macarthur scenario :D
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Arckon » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:22 pm

What is the total Axis/Allied losses?
Arckon
Captain
Captain

Postby JSS » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:33 am

Arckon wrote:What is the total Axis/Allied losses?

17 Axis units gone :twisted:

7 Allied units gone :evil:
JSS
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion