Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Fantassin » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:10 am

Well, unlucky in the draw, lucky in the game! :?
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:27 pm

Fantassin and I have decided to offer our comments regarding our Wiking Whiteout Tourney final game.

I drew the Germans and as I believe most will agree that is the “favored” side in this scenario, I guess I’ve been lucky as I’ve drawn the Germans every time and that may help explain my presence in the finals. As further background, Fantassin drew the Soviets last round vs. Pterrok and the Germans in the previous rounds. My personal history with Fantassin is not pretty as I’m something like 0-8 vs. him including recent losses in the Last Stand and Rommel tourney’s. The closest I’ve come to beating him was a draw loss in AtD with me as the Soviets. In short, he is good, very good, perhaps the best at Run5 and certainly among the elite, I’m no slouch myself but simply not in his league.

I’ve no screenshots but the map and unit count is small enough where you can all probably follow along.

Turn 1 – I’ve got a pretty basic opening as the Germans and one I think makes the most sense, I make a bee line for Tschokmak (the Northern VP city) by blasting the two Northern most strong points out of the way and getting all the regiments of the 1st and 5th SS over the river. The key to Tschokmak is to work around to the E-NE of the city so you are not attacking across a river as all rivers halve your combat factors in this scenario.

I also send a recon unit up the road that runs NW of Muni towards the Soviet entry point for the 5th armor, this is to do some front pushing and give me intelligence as to whether or not the Soviets are going to try and take Muni, it also may freak out the Soviet player as you are in the vicinity of the entry point for the 3rd armor which comes in on turn 4.

Turn 2 – Well, he did what I feared and that is to say he appears to be going for a draw as he seems to have sent the 5th armor towards Tschokmak, at the least they did not head towards Muni as my recon unit reports no other activity other than a regiment or two of Soviet horses frolicking on the plains in the area.

A word about Soviet strategy at this point, IMHO it is true the Germans have the advantage IF the Soviets go on the offensive and try and take Muni with the 5th Arm, 3rd Para and 3rd Arm, I’ve found the Germans can fight them off long enough with the 2nd Para and 6th Inf whom arrive on turn 2. This leaves the 1st and 5th SS and the 10th Panzer to match up with the 18th Arm and 136th Inf around Tschokmak, a battle that will usually go to the Germans before the battle for Muni goes to the Soviets. However, if the Soviets decide they are happy to get a draw they can send the 5th Arm to Tschokmak and let the 3rd Para and 3rd Arm float wherever necessary as circumstances dictate, this may include a late starting offensive on Muni or more defense for Tschokmak. Not only does this virtually guarantee a draw, unless the Soviet player gets sloppy, but an overly aggressive German player can get a unit picked off as the Germans have to advance into enemy territory, which means no digging in and a vulnerability to counterattacks, especially with the 5th & 18th Arm in the same area. What all this means is I believe Fantassin’s strategy is to go into a defensive shell and hope to pick off one of my unit’s that exposes itself.

Back to the AAR, the Soviet 18th armor and 136th Inf have taken up defensive positions along the river that runs south of Tschokmak, I calculate that the 5th armor is on the road just to the NW of the city waiting to slap the 1st and 5th SS silly if they try and breach the river defense. It’s basically 3 Soviet divisions vs. 2 German divisions with the Soviets dug in behind a river, not good odds for me so it’s time to develop a Plan B. Besides that there is simply no odds I find favorable as he set up his defense like the pro he is.

He has left a garrison unit in place with the strong points up so I decide to shake things up by turning 4 regiments of my SS divisions around and coming into contact with the garrison while the other regiments take up defensive positions and do some front pushing. If I get very lucky perhaps I can get an attack off in turn 3 that kills the unit although that seems unlikely, at the least this will cause him to use the 5th Arm to come to it’s defense possibly giving me a chance to breach his river defense without exposing myself to a nasty counterattack. I also send my recon unit in the West to take over the Soviet entry point for the 3rd Arm, hopefully this will force him to commit the 3rd Para to deal with that situation instead of sending them into the developing battle around Tschokmak. At the least these moves mean I am dictating to Fantassin where to move his units and hopefully he gets sloppy and leaves a unit hanging.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Islander » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:39 am

It's been so long since Fantassin destroyed me in the 2nd round of the tourney. The scars have almost healed. :)

I drew the Russians, and did basically what Fantassin has apparently done. I did manage to draw first blood, if I recall correctly, by killing a recon unit, but that was the high point for me.

I moved the western armoured division to the northern city to help the defense, and then moved on the SW city. Muni? Couldn't make any progress against it, and was slowly ground to dust up north. Once the forces are lined up face to face, the mobility of the Germans, and the fact that the Russian armour can't entrench or detach, makes it difficult to continue to mount an inpenetrable defense. Just 1 D2 per turn, over several turns, is enough to make holding the line quite difficult.

Good luck to both.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:39 am

At this point, we are on turn 6 now, a single D2 would be nice but he has not given me the opportunity for that to even be a result on the CRT. He is turtling up and unlike your attempt to take Muni he is not making any attempt to go on the offensive.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pterrok » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:34 am

Against me, he left the same garrison, probably, but I ignored it and pushed on without moving next to it. (Did you manage to kill it before it got away?)

Against me he was also VERY aggressive and didn't turtle up at all! It's not fair, I tells ya! :lol: I mean, he's changing his game style to play against his opponent--the nerve of him! :shock: :wink:

If Fantassin goes on to win, he'll definitely deserve the medal...

(BTW, does he have the point lead or is he turtling up so that you have to replay with him as the Axis?)
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:40 am

He's turtling up to play for the draw so he can go German next game, that's my guess. No doubt that if he wins he deserves it.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:04 am

Not turtling up at all :shock: just making certain the Axis offensive will be as costly as possible and waiting for opportunities :twisted:

I'll be very happy if I can win with the russians and not going to the draw. But attacking undamaged german forces at this point would be suicidal.

Cpt. Feathersword analysis is very conform to my own. Russian can only react in this scenario. They play second and have less and weaker forces. So one of their only option is to defend at best leaving no vulnerable unit and counterattack exposed ones. :? Believe me, it's more easier said than done!

So far, we are at mid-game and the score is still zero. Except for taking off two strongpoints, Cpt. Feathersword didn't attack yet and was just maneuvering and slowly pushing me back. I made the only real attack (on turn 3) an 5:1 overrun against one of his probing recon resulting in a -/D1R.

I have captured screens at the end of each of my turns. I will gladly post them at the end of the tourney if asked. But you must wait until september as I leave home tomorrow for 20 days ...
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:02 am

Turn 3 – My bid for the garrison unit failed as he moved the 5th Arm into defensive position on top of and around it while moving it 2 hexes away from it’s starting position. As I hoped, he moved the bulk of the 18th Arm and 136th Inf, out from behind the river in what looks like an attempt to encircle the SS Reg’s I sent after the garrison. This allows me to breach the river defense without firing a shot as he abandoned those positions to do so, so now I am in the crook of the “elbow” of the river in fine defensive terrain safe from counterattack. Other tank and recon reg’s of the 1st and 5th SS swing back to the East of Tschokmak hoping to bum rush his left flank if he can’t get the 18th Arm back into position to protect the Eastern approaches to Tschokmak.

My 2nd Para div. takes up position guarding the left flank of the 1st and 5th SS and the 6th Inf. Takes up defensive positions in front of Muni. He has also done as I hoped and moved the 3rd para down to safeguard the 3rd Arm’s alternate entry hex so I am happy a recon has more or less kept the 3rd Para away from Tschokmak for a turn or two.

Turn 4 – Fantassin attacked a recon unit resulting in -/1R, I had moved him in front of my main line and had expected an attack knowing he would have no chance of eliminating the unit. Unfortunately all my maneuvering is not paying off as once again the best odds I can get is a 5-1 or so in the woods which would leave my attacking units exposed, which is exactly what he wants so I refuse to accommodate him. He was able to get his units back into defensive position East of Tschokmak and the right hook I was hoping to deliver does not materialize.

I am abandoning the hope of ever taking Tschokmak and quite frankly I cannot see this ending in anything other than a draw at this point unless I make a mistake. The 10th Panzer takes up defensive position along the Tschokmak river and I move the SS divisions toward the center of the map to take territory while shifting my Para division south and moving the 6th Inf NW up the road from Muni to confront his Para div.

Turn 5 - Not much to say at this point, I maneuver forward and he backs up dropping detachments, it’s like my units have cooties or something. He does offer up a 7-1 in broken and an 8-1 in woods but the combination of poor CRT’s for those odds and the fact I’d be sitting in clear terrain for the counterattack cause me to pass on the opportunity and keep maneuvering my units towards Bek Bulasch, I hope to catch some nice odds in the clear terrain 4-5 hexes SSE of that city.

He has moved the 3rd Arm in front of that city and I maneuver my Paras and the 1st SS to take away any detachments he can drop in his turn which should force him into clear terrain. I also start to flank his line on the right with the 6th Inf trying to move around his Paras that anchor his right flank.

Pretty sad, turn 5 and I have not attacked anything other than strong points. There are some 4-1 and 5-1 clear terrain opportunities I passed on because it would literally mean stripping my line in order to get those odds. I’ll tell you one thing, after playing him a bunch of times I am simply too tentative, perhaps I should be throwing caution to the wind and going for one of the poor CRT attacks to try and make something happen but I guess I am happier guaranteeing a draw than risking a loss as the Germans. I should mention also that not one of these attack opportunities I mention would give me a + shock.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:55 am

Allied turn 6 - Discouraged by the unbeatable russian defense, the german commander decided to withdraw his troops across the river.

So this game is a draw (score 0-0) and we have now switched sides.
Last edited by Fantassin on Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:05 am

Last edited by Fantassin on Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:33 pm

Tourney ladder is updated! :)

regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:55 pm

I have a GREAT announcement to make! (and it’s been a long time since I had any administrating stuff to do in this tourney)... Cpt. Feathersword has capitulated against the seemingly unbeatable Fantassin (his continues streak of wins has now reached 15, someone should do something about this).

Image Great Champion: Fantassin...

Image Great Runner-Up: Cpt. Feathersword ...

Best regards,
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:43 pm

Congrats, Fantassin! Cpt. Feathersword, I guess Fantassin is French for 'fantastic assassin' the way he killed the field. :lol:

Now there will actually be people running around with unique medals on their chests as the other winner/runner-up don't post much or use 'em when they do!

Wear 'em proudly!
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:31 am

Good job Fantassin :cry:

He is tough to beat, he makes no mistakes and makes you pay dearly for any you make.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:38 am

Thanks gentlemen :oops:

Twinkle, don't think I'm unbeatable, I have already been beaten by the AI. :?

Pterrok, I get a proudly medal wearing new avatar... Come on tankist ! :twisted:

Cpt. Feathersword, your abilities plainly justified you place in this Grand Final and you deserve this new medal.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)