Moscow

Any Chit-Chat - if it doesnt relate to Run5, DBWWII, BF, or CAW then throw it in here. Remember neither SSG or Run5 endorse any of the posts made by users within this forum.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Moscow

Postby Doggie3 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:12 am

Anyone that has lived/visted Moscow have any advice on living in the city? Looks like it will be a two year assignment so hopefully I will have plenty of time to see the sights, as well as visit some battlefields.

Cheers,
Last edited by Doggie3 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Re: I'm moving to Moscow

Postby JSS » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:27 am

Doggie3 wrote:Anyone that has lived/visted Moscow have any advice on living in the city? Looks like it will be a two year assignment so hopefully I will have plenty of time to see the sights, as well as visit some battlefields.

Cheers,

Never been there, but it sounds like a great assignment. Looking forward to hearing reports from the front :D
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Robjess » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:23 am

Take a coat with you.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby sorcerer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:33 pm

Can you get me a classic Russian fur hat, our rented house is right on top of the downs to the East of Bath...its freezing and its four miles to uni...
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Doggie3 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:02 am

sorcerer wrote:Can you get me a classic Russian fur hat, our rented house is right on top of the downs to the East of Bath...its freezing and its four miles to uni...

Sure, no problems. I think I will be decking myself out in fur as well !

I get there 7 November so it will be well into the negative by then.

Cheers,
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Postby Brubaker » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:02 pm

Robjess wrote:Take a coat with you.

:lol:

Congratulations Doggie - have a blast! And consider bringing yourself back one of those nice Russian brides. Unless you are married of course, then you will be bringing back a housekeeper to - ahem - 'assist' around the house :wink:

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Doggie3 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:26 am

Robjess wrote:Take a coat with you.

Yes, well I was just re-reading some Glantz in preparation. Here's what he had to say " Even before the offensive began , the temperature fell precipitously to 5 degrees Fahrenheit (-15C) on 12 November [1941] and -8 degrees (-22C) the next day; and the worst was yet to come" (Before Stalingrad, p.158)

It will be interesting to see just how cold this really is first hand. I conducted a stocktake once in a cold store which was at -18C, we could only stay in there for 20 mins at a time!

Brubaker, I am married but I do get some language tuition as part of the package...I get to choose the tutor and I am a terrible linguist :wink:

Cheers,
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Postby Robjess » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:50 pm

Brubaker wrote:Congratulations Doggie - have a blast! And consider bringing yourself back one of those nice Russian brides. Unless you are married of course, then you will be bringing back a housekeeper to - ahem - 'assist' around the house :wink:

Brubaker

Hey I need a house keeper too.. (thats probably not appropriate given that my wife has just endoured such a long labor.. )
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Doggie3 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:41 pm

I have arrived in Moscow and have settled in as much as you can in such a city. It certainly takes some getting used to!

First up, apologies to Strax for having to abandon our Arnhem game during my move from Kuwait. Sorry about that, but there was just too much involved with the move, especially as I had a month in Australia in between Kuwait and Moscow. I hope the new game is going well!

Moscow is a huge city, but the Metro makes it easy to get around, unless you are unlucky enough to want to go somewhere that is not accessible for the metro. I have not been brave enough yet to try the electric train or the buses. The Metro is usually crowded and hot, for some reason they like to keep it very warm when everyone is rugged up for the cold.

Speaking of cold - the weather has not been too bad – it snowed for the first few days I was here and it has actually warmed up since then. Yesterday it was about 8C, when it should be about -10C by now. Even the Russians are confused about the weather. It has allowed me to acclimatise without the sudden drop in temperature.

I would suggest that had this weather been around in 1941, Operation Typhoon may have had a greater chance of success. Early in November there was snow and weather down to about -4C. After that, the temp hovered around 0, keeping the ground nice and hard but with very little snow covering. For the last five days it has been warmer, with the ground turning to mud and some rain, but generally easier temperatures to deal with.

I have not had much of a chance to do alot of sightseeing, but I have found the Red Army Museum and I also want to visit Victory Park. Apparently there is quite a bit of WWII armour out there. I did get to St Petersburg last weekend which is a beautiful city and very different to Moscow.

I live right across a park from Army Headquarters, so the shot below is of the top of the Army HQ building. There is still quite a bit of "hammer and sickle" around the city, and in St Petersburg. The Metro stations are especially decorated with these motifs. One Sunday morning when the stations are not so busy I plan to ride the system and get some photos.

The Red Star and victory flags on Army HQ.

Close up of the very top of Army HQ.

More reports to follow as I explore the city,

Cheers
Last edited by Doggie3 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Postby Doggie3 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Just to show how strange the weather is this year, two photos:

This one was taken on November 9 - pretty typical weather for this time of the year. The start of the snow...next time it stops snowing - sometime in March!

However, the one below was taken November 27:

Not a sign of snow, and actually some sun (and a rainbow!). What a difference this may have made in 1941, and what would the Germans have given for a (relatively) warm November.

From Panzer Leader written on November 27, 1941:

"Only he who saw the endless expanse of Russian snow during this winter of our misery and felt the icy wind that blew across it...can truly judge the events which now occured".
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:31 pm

Nice posts Doggie - I've never been to Russki land, but I'm interested to see these pictures.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mart » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:12 pm

Have a great time Doggie!

I am, as you'd expect, really pleased for you, whilst being green with envy.

:D
Mart
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Doggie3 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:06 am

As today marks the 65th anniversary of the end of the German offensive against Moscow, I thought it appropriate that I visit the spot where the Russians have placed a memorial marking the closest point to Moscow reached by the Germans.

This memorial is approximately 30km NW of the city centre, astride the main highway to St Petersburg (although still officially called the Leningradsky Highway).

The area is now well developed, with a Mega (a brand name) Mall right by it, as well as an Ikea superstore.

There has not been any snow in Moscow for about 28 days, and the temps have been around the +5 - 0 level, with a little off for wind chill (especially out there).

Some pics:

I will try and get a translation of the memorial.

Last Saturday I visited the Central Armed Forces Museum, obviously plenty of exhibits relating to our period of interest, including the Russian flag flown over the Reichstag in 1945.

Seperate report to follow.

Cheers,
Last edited by Doggie3 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Doggie3
Major
Major

Postby Strax » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:33 pm

Look forward to it.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:01 am

Shows how the world has changed. The Germans would not attack a country with an Ikea superstore!
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Chit-Chat