Odd Notes for Future Games Dev

Any Chit-Chat - if it doesnt relate to Run5, DBWWII, BF, or CAW then throw it in here. Remember neither SSG or Run5 endorse any of the posts made by users within this forum.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Odd Notes for Future Games Dev

Postby ushosp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:56 am

I'm a retired technical writer in Orlando, FL. Here are a few weird Ideas that might be helpful, just FYI, no big deal:

Games with Scenario Editors/Map Editors/Random Skirmishes: Now the game editor for players is typically copied from the editor that the dev's used to create and test the game. Much appreciated. But there are often two difficulties: [a] Documentation (user manual) might be weak, especially for non-dev's, and [b] The editor tool itself is often difficult to master, at least for non-dev players. To help resolve these problems, take a brief time to create a few tiny "mini editors"---each one devoted to a specific limited area. Here are three examples: (1) A player loads a custom or random skirmish---the entire file---into a tiny "map only" editor. There he can make simple changes to some map features, and save the product---the entire file---under an new name. Likewise (2) a "reinforcements schedule editor", or another example (3) a unit type properties editor (ammo carry capacity, stuff like that). SUCH TINY PROGRAMS WOULD TAKE LITTLE EFFORT BUT THEY COULD DRIVE THE POPULARITY AND SALES OF A NEW GAME THROUGH THE ROOF.

If you are facing a hefty AI development undertaking: This approach is non-historical and goofie (but it is part of a homegrown game that I developed, and I love that game and play it all the time): Make the AI stupid, even totally random in his decision-making, but give him a lot more units and other resources, compared to the human player. Of course that massively saves AI dev time.
ushosp
New Recruit

Re: Odd Notes for Future Games Dev

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 pm

We have always tried, from the very start of S.S.G., to provide user input through the editor. With Carriers at War, we produced a manual that was about 200 pages. With the Run 5 magazine, we published articles on how to use the editor but it was an expert device that very few attempted. The complete AI was open for others to manipulate although, to my knowledge, not one complete AI was ever completed outside S.S.G.

I deep knowledge of Warfare would help and some of the features of these games were abstract, as I will attest to as I have recently been trying to understand a few of the parameters.

It was a lot of fun but any game placed on the market today would have to be a little more playable and easier to understand.
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Chit-Chat