New Terrain

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

New Terrain

Postby Robert K » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:16 am

Firstly let me praise the map designers and artists for KP and TAO. The maps look realistic and provide an interesting strategic and tactical game where choice of terrain is all important in attack and defence.

However In my experience I have noticed certain types are impassible even to tracked vehicles let alone wheeled. Sure a tank can push over the odd tree but some dense forest would be almost impassable to armoured vehicles lending more importance to controlling those vital metalled roads for your Main supply routes.

It can be said that infantry can cross almost any terrain if determined. Limits on some terrain must exists where support elements cannot support. It took me nearly 5 hrs to march 20km over mountains with 40lbs. That was hard going at times but there was no way a truck would make it. I would equate that to a wild forest hilltop where the limitless potholes would make this dangerous if nothing else.

Im not suggesting any step loss or anything as drastic but what about some more terrain restrictions in future campaigns exspecially the brilliant idea of the often forgotten but nevertheless descisive battles in Italy where the mountains severly debilitated an armoured blitzkrieg like battle.

Many thanks to SSG for inspiring me back into wargaming. :)

"The Idea is not to die for your country but make the other poor dumb b*****d die for his" Gen. Patton
Robert K
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:27 am

The scale in most of the current games is 4Kms per hex. At that scale, in almost all terrain, there are roads or tracks that allow some sort of access. It means that we have to be careful about what we deem impassable.

This is a very subjective argument and we do think about the effect such decisions will have on gameplay. This is another reason why we wanted to put the Scenario Editor out with the game. Anyone can get into the system and re-edit the values if they so desire.

The BIN editor is a great deal better and easier to use so we are hoping that more people will take this course and try things out. We have already implemented many ideas from designers in BIN.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robert K » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:57 am

Many thanx for clearing this issue up with us.
I didnt realise the scale (4km/hex) but Im sure the situation as it is has been researched and after all free flowing games make for more fun.
I dont think I have the ability to make these scenarios myself but will happily financial support further publications of pc game productions in this vein. hint! hint! cant wait for BIN.
Robert K
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:03 am

We accept all such support with thanks.
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Feedback/Suggestions