Data mining for scenario balancing...

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Data mining for scenario balancing...

Postby pterrok » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:31 pm

Roger, when I saw what you had added to the BiN engine--the scoring track feature, I just want to make sure you know you're sitting on a gold mine there!

If you could include it in the DKP files, but encrypted in such a way that SSG could decrypt it even from secure game files, then games submitted to a server could have a script automatically strip out that bit and build up a database of results across all the scenarios and players!

You would then be able to tell what players were actually doing and what was the best/worst mark in any given game and how soon certain objectives fell, etc.

Taking it further, if you set up said game server it could hold the rankings of the players like the chess ratings which has been detailed elsewhere, then when players were starting a match, the VPs to be be given from one player to the other could be suggested based on their ratings. (Meaning a bunch of code added to the Run5 system.)

I would make all the rankings public, but since there are a bunch of players who won't play ladder games, I guess you'd have to assure various levels of privacy, features and access, but the heart would alway be to grab the scoring data from all the games played by everyone.

I believe you've said you were working on LAN support; I for one wouldn't ever use that, but THIS could make the scenarios better!
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:40 pm

We have discussed having games automatically report to a ladder.. but at this stage it has just been talk.. I dont think SSG have progressed down that path yet..

I do like the idea of at the end of a game being able to dump (even if its just to text) a list of the objectives - when they were captured, how many points each side got from that objective and then a summary of how many units were killed. I know this would help with Scenario design and balancing.. but there are only so many hours in the day.. and I know how busy SSG are as it is (ie: this is why there has been no progress down the auto report to ladder stuff)..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Feedback/Suggestions