Release code to old games?

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Release code to old games?

Postby wryun » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 am

Mentioned this a few years ago, but still think it would be an excellent idea... (Gold of the Americas? Battlefront series?)
wryun
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:48 am

Much of this code was in assembly and would be of little use to anyone. The rest of the code is C / C++ but is confusing when taken out of context and I personally feel that releasing it would give us numerous questions and discussions that would be hard to support.

In putting together a game there are many programs associated with incorporating pictures and resources that then require specific calls to operate. These days it is so much easier when the engine is designed to handle most of these features.

To give you an idea of where I am coming from just realize that the complete editor to the AI was published for Korsun and other war games. This came with instructions and I have spent time with anyone willing to persevere with it. How many complete AI games have been completed outside of SSG?

I hope you can appreciate the dilemma this poses.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby wryun » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi Roger,

Thanks for responding, and sorry for my slow reply. I realise that they can't be easily adapted to run on modern platforms, and that providing support would be a nightmare - I never imagined that you would do so. Indeed, I doubt that anyone would expect it unless you were selling the code, and I'm sure if you were clear that 'no support will be offered' people would be more than happy with that.

I more thought it would be a nice gesture to simply put up what you have if that's easy to do, and see if anyone does something with it - if nothing else, letting the code run free on the internet might ensure that a bit of history is never lost! It may also garner a small amount of publicity for your more recent games, particularly if you timed it to coincide with a new release.

I would be curious enough to just browse the assembly code and get some feel for how such games were made "back in the good old days"...
wryun
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Return to Feedback/Suggestions