Zoom Levels

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Zoom Levels

Postby Zaratoughda » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:06 am

I posted this before and others here (or over on Matrix) didn't take me seriously but recently, in another game's forum the same comment. The SSG Decisive Battles series is great but with one exception.... it is freaking hard to see!!!

Yeah, the magnifier helps but you have to hold the ALT key down to keep that up and it only gives you a small area not the entire map.

So, you really need zoom levels. At least two but three or more would be nice.

The thing is, the level that the game is at now is great for getting an overview of the situation. But, once you get that you would like to zoom in on the area where you want to move and/or attack and, can't do that with this series.

The funny thing is that Advanced Tactics: WW2 had a similar problem, just one level of display. In that case it was the LOWER level zoom and that was all. So, in that case you got the more detailed view but couldn't get the bigger picture view. But now, they have announced AT Gold and, yes (!) they are putting in 3 zoom levels.

IMO no zoom in the DB series is really unfortunate. SSG has the market cornered on 'advanced board wargame design on a computer, and then some' wargame genre, and the systems are fun to play (like AT but unlike TOAW were the game systems are NOT fun) but, being 'hard to see' takes much of this away.

Whatever, just trying to make a constructive comment here.

Zaratoughda
Zaratoughda
New Recruit

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:21 am

We have looked at this problem and it is not a simple fix. What is required is to port the whole game to a new engine which effectively means re writing the game from scratch and redesigning every screen.

This means that the way the game operates has to also change as newer engines don't do things in exactly the same way the old engine does. This issues quickly become complex and to some degree frustrating.

I suppose the only thing I am trying to say here is that we have recognized the problem and understand the solutions. Just remember that the work involved would be the equivalent of writing a new game.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Zaratoughda » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Roger, I really respect and appreciate you responding to me on this.

The only thing I can say is I have myself done things in the programming venu (I am an engineer) that others said were impossible until I went and did them, so maybe you can run across some super-programmer in the language that you use that can do it while otherwise keeping the same engine.

Ya never know.

Again, thanks for responding!

Zaratoughda
Zaratoughda
New Recruit

Postby sunan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Good for you! Praise ..
sunan
New Recruit

Return to Feedback/Suggestions