Need some advice

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Need some advice

Postby Scritty » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi,

I have posted here as a none member before. I own Battlefront and Korsun Pocket (both d/l from Matrix Games) but I really can't get into them.

To clarify, I play wargames of one sort or another almost exclusively. I am currently playing John Tiller's campaign series and Conquest of the Aegean - Though grand strat titles like HoI III also get played a lot.
Very simplistic games like the total war series - even on the hardest setting that has ceased to prove any sort of challenge.

The reason I can't get into this series is the lack of a playable tutorial.
Battlefront has half a tutorial (posted on this website) but it just about whets my appetite - then stops.

Without exception, I pick up games up very quickly with a tutorial (HoI 3 - which was the first in the series I had ever played was proving enjoyable within 90 minutes or so, CotA perhaps 2-3 hours John Tiller's games needed well under an hour)
I'm not "expert" at these games in the time above, but I am at least playing and enjoying them - my tactics and moves are logical and the plan coherent. I have to stop many times to refer to the manual for something (bridging - re-supply or whatever) but in general the game is flowing, and I am getting enjoyment from playing

Without a tutorial (i.e just a manual) I really struggle to get the "big picture" and find myself flapping between pages over and over again with every unit I control - forgetting all about co-ordination or a "plan" as such, I
do this for hours then generally give up and play something else.

With the wealth of other wargames about (and working a 60+ hour week) the thought of spending 20+ hours learning a game without a tutorial never appeals. (It would represent perhaps 3 weeks of gaming time for me)

So my question is..do any of the earlier games in the series come with a tutorial. It doesn't have to be "in game", JT and CotA are both followable by manual, and that will be fine.

I just want a foothold on this series, but I feel as if I've joined the party about 10 iterations too late.
If one of the earlier games has a tutorial, then you will have a customer for it within minutes - in the hope that this opens the door for the first two I own as well.

Thanks for your time :D

Paul Clarke
Scritty
New Recruit

Ahhhhh...

Postby Scritty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:04 am

I've been doing some digging since the post above and found that BiN comes with a set of tutorials and a decent 57 page tutorial manual.

I think this sounds like exactly what I was after. I will download the demo and crack on. :D

Scritty
Scritty
New Recruit

Postby Lipa » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:20 am

BiI and Kharkov also have excellent tutorials to get you started... If you check those, I guess you can then "extrapolate" to your other titles. :D

Cheers!
Lipa
Private
Private

Postby Scritty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:59 am

I am now working thorugh BiN and considering getting the lot over time, (Kharkov and AtD next probably)

Thanks again

Scritty
Scritty
New Recruit

Postby jjdenver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 am

There are some video tutorials by Chris Merchant for Kharkov. I think they cover 3 topics: AO's, how to attack entrenched units, and supply?

They are linked from the Kharkov forum I think.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Feedback

Postby umair4und » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:15 am

this site is look good.
umair4und
New Recruit

Return to Feedback/Suggestions