Error playing Battlefront PBEM games

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Error playing Battlefront PBEM games

Postby jjdenver » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to get an Operation Market Garden PBEM game going and keep running into the error on turn 2: "game must be played on registered machine".

I've successfully played an Operation Crusader game already using Battlefront so this is not a problem I've faced before.

Initially I thought this might be because I'd removed some older pbem files from the play and send folders to clean them up.

So I restored the removed files and still got the error.

Then I tried completely uninstalling and re-installing Battlefront. We then started a brand new game. I still get the error. I tried this with 2 different players on the newly installed Battlefront game. Both give the same error.

How can I correct this?

Thanks!
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:37 pm

That error's usually the result of playing a Secure PBEM game on a different PC than it was started on, or moving the PBEM files around in such a way that the game is confused and thinks you're playing it on a different machine.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Abwehr wrote:That error's usually the result of playing a Secure PBEM game on a different PC than it was started on, or moving the PBEM files around in such a way that the game is confused and thinks you're playing it on a different machine.

Thanks but it's on same machine and since I did an uninstall and reinstall of the game, I don't think it's due to moving files. I uninstalled, reinstalled, and then just put the setup file in play, and the next turn in play folder also - turn 2 that is. turn 1 turn went into send folder and i mailed it to opponent and left it there. So I'm not touching files in any unusual way.

In addition to un-installing and re-installing is there anything else I can try? When I uninstalled it didn't delete the game folder structure, so I manually deleted all the Battlefront folders to be sure I got a fresh start.

This is rather frustrating. :(
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:07 am

I'm not entirely sure what the Secure system actually checks, maybe it checks the same game version/the date it was installed or something, which would mean that uninstalling and reinstalling would ruin the PBEM Secure game as it would be using a "different" version of Kharkov even though it's on the same machine.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:14 am

Abwehr wrote:I'm not entirely sure what the Secure system actually checks, maybe it checks the same game version/the date it was installed or something, which would mean that uninstalling and reinstalling would ruin the PBEM Secure game as it would be using a "different" version of Kharkov even though it's on the same machine.

FYI - it's Battlefront not Kharkov. And we started a brand new game starting with a new init file, after I reinstalled Battlefront. in other words we went back to:
- no battlefront on my pc
- no game started
- install battlefront on my pc
- begin brand new game starting with axis player generating a new OMG initialization file to send to me.

I repeated this procedure with 2 different players and each time get the same error. :(
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:29 am

Sorry, was thinking about Kharkov, but I don't think the Secure setup system is too different in between titles. I've only ever experienced a problem with Battles in Italy, or rather: my opponent experienced the problem. We had to start a new game, but if you completely removed the program it should not simply detect the same problems as before.

I guess SSG will have to help you in solving this problem, I'm out of ideas.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:47 am

Just to be clear Battlefront used to be working for me before i deleted old game files from Send and Play folders. I'm not sure if that's what started the problem but it seems like it.

I've tried now w/ 3 different players to play a battlefront pbem game with no luck.

The latest try included:
uninstalled battlefront using control panel
delete battlefront folder from disk
disable User account controls (uac) on windows7
reinstall battlefront
reinstall patches

start pbem game
opponent gets setup file and moves 1 unit and returns file to me
i try to load turn 1 and get this:

jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:17 am

It's been awhile since I encountered this.

What's in your ...saveemail/secure/ folder?

Think deleting files in the secure folder is what caused problems IIRC.

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby jjdenver » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Strangely there is nothing in that "Secure" folder.

I'm getting this same problem also for Kharkov but Kharkov does have a file called "SecureData.dat" in that folder.

Here's a screenshot of the Battlefront folder.

FYI if someone thinks they could look at it from SSG I have a webex account so I could let them look at my PC using webex some morning Australia time (which is evening US time). I'm not sure if SSG ever does anything like that.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jjdenver » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:54 am

FYI I now have the problem w/ Battles in Italy also. The only thing that I can think of is that because I reorganized files in my SaveEmail/Send and SaveEmail/Play folders that it caused the problem. I took all files from particular games and moved into a subfolder because I was getting a lot of files in the Send and Play folders.

However I never did this with Kharkov because I haven't done a PBEM w/ Kharkov other than taking one setup file from a single opponent and trying to play that but not succeeding due to the error.

It's frustrating that even a complete uninstall and reinstall doesn't solve the problem. There must be some way to wipe the slate clean and restart? I'm willing to lose all save games in progress if I can just get it working again.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 am

Suggestion for wiping the slate clean

Do a Windows restore as at about a week ago.

Then uninstall all SSG games.

Then re-install all SSG games.

Let all folders fall in their native places and don't move any around.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:54 am

I did a system restore to 2 weeks ago, uninstalled all SSG apps, deleted windows folders.

Then I reinstalled w/ a new path. So instead of Matrix Games/Battlefront for example I used Matrix Games/SSG/Battlefront.

This seemed to fix the problem.

What folders are safe to delete files from? Can you delete old games from Play/Send? Otherwise those folders can get huge.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Feedback/Suggestions