SSG Wargames - Where to start?

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

SSG Wargames - Where to start?

Postby Lipa » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi all!

I've been playing SP:WaW for a loooong time. Then I switched to TOAW and Advanced Tactics, and like them much as well.

But now I'm getting more and more interested in the SSG line of games as well - KP, BiN, BiI, BF, AtD... From the screenshots and reviews they seem something I would like.

My question, however, is simply where to start? If I understand correctly, the basic mechanics are the same for the entire series of the games, right? Or are there any larger differences? Which game would you suggest to start with, considering that so far I have no idea about the system and the mechanics, so I have plenty of learning to do.

So, in short, I would just like to get some general thoughts and suggestions about the series, so that I can choose the first game to try soon. I'm sure that if I like it, the others will follow eventually. :)

Thanks,

Lipa
Lipa
Private
Private

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 pm

If you want to try the most advance game in the Decisive Battles series (KP, ATD, BiN, BiI), you should buy Battles in Italy, which also has plenty of custom scenarios available. If you want to try the new engine, purchase Kharkov: DotD. Battlefront was a bit like a "test", or a transition from the Decisive Battles series to the Kharkov engine.

BiI offers you the most bang for your buck at this point.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Lipa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

I just bought both BiI and Kharkov, and will slowly dive in... Can't wait! :)

Cheers,

Lipa
Lipa
Private
Private

Return to Feedback/Suggestions