Scenario with variable number of turns

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Scenario with variable number of turns

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Whoever goes last in any game, can make a gamey move and move troops into positions that he would never move to if it were not the last turn.

And then he can destroy enemy troops to boost his final score. This is gamey and needs to be stopped

Given that a scenario is for example, 16 turns long, there could be a variable of (+) or (-) 2 turns.

Then when the player hits “end turn” at say turn 15, if the game has ended he receives a message saying so.

If the game continues past turn 16, he receives a message saying that. But will not know for the now exactly which will be the last turn until it comes.

Only if it happens to go to 18 turns, can the last player still play that gamey last turn.
-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:15 pm

Another solution:

We have reached the last turn and player A goes first and Player B goes second.

Player B moves a recon unit say 10 hexes into the heart of enemy territory uncovering many enemy rear units along the way.

He then follows up with combat units to destroy the and gain extra victory points.

Given that player B wants to move troops with friendly territory he can move anywhere that he wants.

Given that player B wants to move troops into enemy territory, the program should stop him from moving troops any more than 2 hexes into enemy territory.

This would not stop a final gamey turn but would reduce it.
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gregor Whiley » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 am

Joe,

Of the two ideas here, I like the variable game length much better than the movement restrictions on the last turn. The variable game length seems likely to have a cleaner implementation. The movement restrictions seem much murkier and also more likely to provoke complaints from the people whose movement has been restricted.

That being said, I don't really know how easy a variable game length feature would be to implement, again it could have ramifications all through the code, and it might well be one of those ideas that is relatively easy to implement if designed in from the start, but a nightmare to retrofit.

However, I will have a chat to Roger about it.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:56 am

This is a fairly easy thing to program but may not be accepted by a lot of players.

The idea is that the scenario would have to have limits designed into it, in a 20 turn game the random generator could choose a value from 18 to 22 for example.

Then, do you show it to the players on turn 1 or have it display as a 20 turn game which may end on turn 18 through 22.

If it does end on 22 then all players would know that this was the last turn and there has to be an absolute limit defined to the number of turns as there are certain limitations in the system over game turns, although these are fairly large. I can't see a 20 turn game running successfully through to turn 30.

Even in a 20 turn game most are decided by around turn 10 and only a few carry on to the very last turn. I have considered having conditions that would end the game mid game but again this seems to have problems tied up with it. Many games finish with one player resigning and a new one starting.

These are just a few notes to add to the discussion as I haven't talked to Gregor yet.
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Feedback/Suggestions