Battletech anyone... ?

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Battletech anyone... ?

Postby SirLoinn » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:25 am

Hi,

...first off,thanks for making these excellent strategy sims and recreations...as a enthusiastic history buff and avid gamer,they are amazing on many levels.

...secondly, I'd like to offer the suggestion that SSG take a look at the PnP Battletech game series,first created by FASA more than 20 years ago.
While Battletech certainly lacks some of the grit and reality which would make it a subject similar to your other endevors...it does have a remarkable light sci-fi backstory,a compelling setting and a simply huge resource of tactical and strategic possibilities.

Consider: a future where Man has near to colonized an entire galaxy...technology is 1000 years more advanced...factional militarism is a way of life and weaponry has never been deadlier...firepower so extreme that 5 minutes is considered a long engagement...20 minutes frequently decides the outcome of planetary set-piece battles...and entire regiments may disappear in an opening barrage where armies meet face to face...

Add to that: a bizarre condition where due to centuries of unchequed warfare, the means to replace and rebuild the technology of war is declining fast and a fair portion already largely lost...where for all its history and advancement,Civilization in the 31st century more and more resembles the Feudal Middle Ages...where warriors akin to Knights of old tramp across battlefields as familial owners of the war machines they pilot, in service of the Lord who's lands they were born to...fighting as hard to preserve the birthright war machine that makes them rich and powerful, as they do to vanquish their foes...

Sound interesting? I won't belabour the point...but suffice to say that the dozen or so computer games which have thus far been made in this subject are poor imitations of the real PnP version...which is still being played by millions of RPG and Strategy PnP gamers.

I guess you can see what I'm getting at...for my own interest,if SSG made a Battletech sim as good as your other games,and I'm pouring thru Korsun Pocket at the moment...I for one would gladly pay double the going game cost to get my hands on it.

...just a little food for thought,hope it's not too far off subject,

thanks, Chris in Montreal
SirLoinn
New Recruit

What'd He say???

Postby critter » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:55 am

Space Games????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
critter
Major
Major

Postby hank » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:31 am

I've not played or read anything on this in years but that sounds a lot like Mechwarrior. I played that game on line until I got carpal tunnel.

It was awesome and it also had quite a storied background ... even a series of books. I've heard of Battletech but can't remember if there was a connection to MechWarrior.
hank
Major
Major

Postby SirLoinn » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:59 pm

Mechwarrior is the RPG element of BattleTech, and as a result it's the side of the PnP BattleTech game that appears most often on the comp

I've gone thru 3-4 of the computer versions of Mechwarrior myself

What's been interpreted on the computer versions to date doesn't cover 20% of what the PnP version has to offer

BattleTech has expansions that cover:
City fighting
Atmosphere and Space combat
1000 years of Political history
Capital Ship combat
100s of varied units and types
Dozens of warring Factions
Mercenary work
BattleMech Arena/Sport fighting
...and alot more

Originally, BattleTech was conceived of by American game makers who were very impressed with Japanimation 'Mech fighting in terms of the mechanics and artwork...but hated the tacky Japanese story-lines that went with it

So they lifted the artwork and look...and added a whole new backstory

If you watch some of the 'Macross Saga' Japanimation, you'll see Archers, Marauders and Ostols running all over the place...years before BattleTech existed

Anyways...yes,it is a silly space game...but the art is solid...the backstory is engaging...and the strategic/tactical potential is there

What happens when one 70 ton war machine carries the firepower of an entire 20th century tank company ??
And there are 100s if them walking around every planet in a whole galaxy ??
SirLoinn
New Recruit

Postby hank » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:09 am

No way. That's no "silly" space game. If anyone played it, they'd know its an awesome experience.

Not to mention the technological magic that went on for on-line mulitplayer combat.
I would fight all night in battles with a dozen or more other people per battle; all fighting on the same virtual battlefield; all response times were fairly equal given differences in individual hardware and connections; and people could be all over the country or world ... hooking up and fighting to the death on an awesome computer battlefield.

That's the only FPS type of game I've ever played. My son plays all kinds of FPS games and I'm sure some of them have equally or better on-line battles as those "old" Mechwarrior games.

... and the story line is fascinating as previously noted ... one of the most immersive games I've played
hank
Major
Major

Return to Feedback/Suggestions