Shifts from multiple hex sides

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Shifts from multiple hex sides

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:44 pm

When we make an attack, we receive shifts for making that attack from 2 or more hexes.

The exact make up of those shifts varies from one scenario to the next.

We also know that the defender can reduce those shifts by judicious placement of minefields.

My suggestion is that the attacker would receive shifts from a maximum of 3 sides no matter the circumstances.

Currently we get a gamey situation of players trying to attack from as many sides as possible – I consider this very gamey and I really hate gamey moves.

It means players would move counters into "authentic hexes" (for want of a better phrase) instead of gamey hexes and would enhance all the games.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Shifts from multiple hex sides

Postby JSS » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Joe wrote:When we make an attack, we receive shifts for making that attack from 2 or more hexes.

The exact make up of those shifts varies from one scenario to the next.

We also know that the defender can reduce those shifts by judicious placement of minefields.

My suggestion is that the attacker would receive shifts from a maximum of 3 sides no matter the circumstances.

Currently we get a gamey situation of players trying to attack from as many sides as possible – I consider this very gamey and I really hate gamey moves.

It means players would move counters into "authentic hexes" (for want of a better phrase) instead of gamey hexes and would enhance all the games.

-

Interesting idea Joe.

This should probably be a scenario design post as all the games allow a scenario designer to do this right now.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Roger Keating » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:58 am

I always remember a comment from Axis forces in Normandy on how they would attempt to surround Allied forces as they would collapse if fire was coming from all sides .. unlike the Russian veterans who were used to fire coming from all directions on the steppes as Soviet forces infiltrated their lines.

A scenario designer can modify these shifts to represent the situation they are trying to game, and you are always going to find gamey situations when a set of rules governs the playing of a game. In real life the situation is so different and we can only reflect on what commanders went through when presented with a tactical situation on the battlefield.
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Feedback/Suggestions