Europe Ablaze ?????

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Europe Ablaze ?????

Postby Lumpus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:14 pm

This was absolutely my favorite game of the Apple II/C64 era. I must have played that game for years and there has never been anything quite like it ever since!

Now that Carriers is done (a great game) what are the chances of giving Europe Ablaze a modern makeover?

PLEASE!

:cry: :D
Lumpus
New Recruit

Europe Ablaze ?????

Postby Noypi53 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:17 pm

2nd the motion on Europe Ablaze
Noypi53
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Europe Ablaze ?????

Postby jorm » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:33 pm

Third that

I created an account just to log my support to this great game.

The beauty of it was its editor. i still have fond memories of typing in Case White (Poland vs germany with russia as well) and ArmeeD'la Air <sp?> ( low countries+ france+ UK 1940 vs germany) from RUN5 magazines and playing these games.
jorm
New Recruit

Postby Gregor Whiley » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks for the support. I too enjoyed Europe Ablaze, especially when I edited the Bf 109s to have drop tanks, so they could enjoy a fair fight with the RAF. And naturally, I bombed the crap out of those radar sites and airfields.

The problem is, just how many people want to do that? Europe Ablaze never sold as well as Carriers at War so its an economic question rather than anything else at the moment.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby jorm » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:18 pm

Gregor Whiley wrote:Thanks for the support. I too enjoyed Europe Ablaze, especially when I edited the Bf 109s to have drop tanks, so they could enjoy a fair fight with the RAF. And naturally, I bombed the crap out of those radar sites and airfields.

The problem is, just how many people want to do that? Europe Ablaze never sold as well as Carriers at War so its an economic question rather than anything else at the moment.

Gregor

Hi Gregor, thanks for the feedback.
So, if there were enough people interested would it ever get onto the list ? or is Europe Ablaze a permanent no go for remake ?

thanks
Paul
jorm
New Recruit

Re: Europe Ablaze ?????

Postby Froonp » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:04 pm

jorm wrote:Third that

I created an account just to log my support to this great game.

Same.

Indeed, I had so much fun playing SSG wargames in my youth days, that I'd buy any wargame SSG publish.

Go for Europe Ablaze !!!!!
Froonp
New Recruit

Postby planetbrain » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:17 pm

I still have the original c64 version plus packaging and manuals but, I would have to say that I would be pushed to support a remake of the game.
It was my least favorite of the SSG originals, not as interesting as Battlefront, RFTS or CAW all of which were very good and for which I have the modern equivalents.
Of course this is a subjective view, I felt the game to be too much like a speadsheet. I'd love for SSG to spend their time on a modern SIMPLIFIED version of their earlier battlefront game i.e one were scenario creation/variation was a simpler thing and they were readily available.
(how many scenarios does one see for BII, Battlefront or CAW now, for instance? -they are scarcer than hens teeth).
planetbrain
New Recruit

Postby Lycamp » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:15 am

Gregor Whiley wrote:Thanks for the support. I too enjoyed Europe Ablaze, especially when I edited the Bf 109s to have drop tanks, so they could enjoy a fair fight with the RAF. And naturally, I bombed the crap out of those radar sites and airfields.

Gregor

I was by far my favorite game on the C64. I think that you would have a good run with it if you updated it to today's graphics and sound. I know I'd buy it!!! (and I own both Carriers at War and Europe Ablaze for the C64). Please listen to us and consider redoing it!!!

Lycamp
Lycamp
New Recruit

Postby Greg Wilmoth » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Gregor

Why not try a game subscription system for Europe Ablaze? I'm thinking of the pledge systems some boardgame compaines use, such as GMT's P500 pre-order system. See if you can get 500 gamers (or whatever number you need to justify the time and effort) to pledge to buy a copy at a specific price. That would seem to give you the economic assurance you would need.

I'd sign up to pre-order a copy of Europe Ablaze done for Windows. In fact I'd be willing to pay up to US$100 for a copy. Please think about it. It's a great game. I'd love to do a scenario on the air battles over the Kuban in Russian in the spring of 1943. In the meantime I have to content myself by creating a Soviet Pe.8 heavy bomber for the Matrix version of War In Russia.

Regards, Greg
Greg Wilmoth

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~Arthur C. Clarke
Greg Wilmoth
New Recruit

Postby Gregor Whiley » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

It's good to hear from so many Europe Ablaze fans, especially after all these years. The real issue with Europe Ablaze is that we would be creating it from scratch, as there is no earlier PC version as there was with Carriers at War, and it would require the creation of a huge amount of new graphics. This makes it an unlikely contender for our very limited resources in the short term, at least.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby yowie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:25 pm

This is a fan-bloody-tastic game. I bought it when I had my C64. I have always hoped that it would end up on the PC one day. If it was re-released I would still buy it even if the graphics were the same as the original...All those in favour of Europe Ablaze being reborn, say Aye...carried...looks like the 'Aye's' have it...hehehehe... :)
yowie
New Recruit

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Hmm, I never heard of this game until now.

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:58 am

Many players enjoyed playing this game controling the fighter forces, which had to make decisions every 5 minutes. I could not understand how that could be done in a scenario covering several days. At least the bombing campaign could be played easily.

Pick targets at midnight, send them on there way, watch the downed aircraft numbers mount ... repeat ... and to think I imagined that survivability was high in this service before I helped make this game.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Tomokatu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:48 am

Well I also want to play a re-made and updated Europe Ablaze.

Please make the database structure backwards compatible, because I still have the various scenarios published in the first 20 (or so) issues of Run 5 (I'll never throw them out!) and I want to punch in those when the new release is available.

Frankly, with the modern PC graphics abilities, I want to sit at the Situation Room at Fighter Command (ADGB at various times), to see my squadron status boards or to control my Wilde Sau or Zahme Sau night fighters from a director station on the Kammhuber Line - switching between active ststions as the direction and numbers of the bomber stream become obvious.

See, I have confidence in the economic viability of EA (not that sports game company! NO!) in the modern real-time graphics world, coupled with the twenty years of established reputation that SSG has accumulated.

I note that other posters have said they'll buy any game SSG publishes. I've still got mine too, but in some cases I no longer have the Apple ][+ or DOS 486 machines to run them on.

That's loyalty. That's an economic plus. :mrgreen:
Tomokatu
New Recruit

I agree

Postby Scritty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:24 am

I loved this game. I wasn't even aware that it was an SSG game (and I had the C64 tape versions of some of the early SSG stuff..that really was hard work to play)

This game almost made me fail my undergrad degree. I would gladly pay £50 for an updated version of this. I'd even pre-order it if it was announced.

Scritty
Scritty
New Recruit

Next

Return to Feedback/Suggestions