Longer Term Developments Decisive Battles

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Moving forward, by looking backward...

Postby Ramjet63 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been loking over the posts here, some interesting comments on possible new directions. I'm sure there are lots of ideas out there.

My first SSG experineces were on a C64 with Battles in Normandy, Battlefront, Halls of Montezuma and Russia (War in the East?). Of these, possibly Russia was my favourite. The battlefront scenarios were good, but they were shorter term and the operational parameters more or less fixed. This is not (and never was) a problem, since as Roger has said, they are meant to be known battles and if not balanced are too easy (or too hard!). You always had the ability to do some 'what if..?' tweaking of your own , just to see how things might have turned out.

However, with Russia, we had a whole war to run through, there were some fixed parameters, but there was a lot more flexibilty and it was up to you what level of command you took and where you took the campaign. You could have a Panzer korps holed up in Moscow over the Winter of 41-42, depending on how you ran your summer offensive.

For me, this mantle was taken up by Grigsby's War in Russia, but this is now rather old as well and suffers from some limitations, even though still palaybel on my Core 2 XP system.

I've recently been given a game that lets you play the whole world, from 1936 to 1948. But it is perhaps a bit too free and easy, it strikes me as not really a simulation of WW2, but a game where you study techs and send spies, etc but unrealistic things can easily happen, like US and Canadian forces invading France right after they surrender in 1940! It is also not turn based, but realtime, with the option to speed up, slow down and pause. In short, a WW2 game and not a real strategic simulation.

So to get to the point, I also saw Roger make mention of a new Russia as a possibility? (I also enjoyed Decisive Battles of the American Civil War, even though it was much harder to master than Battlefront was).

Now that would be a good thing..... (although Grigsby's new version is 'on the way' thare might be some stiff competition!).
Ramjet63
New Recruit

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:32 pm

There are many things in my life at the moment which means that spare time is at a minimum and I am sure Gary is the same.

Now if money was not an issue and time was available it would make a wonderful dream to be able to contentrate on a game on the whole Russian War (Sorry; Great Patriotic War) again but at the moment we can only address battles, such as the soon to be released Across the Dnepr.

This game has produced many happy hours of playtesting for me, the most recent experience I had a lose of a couple of hundred points. There are just so many strategies and variants that I think it will take a long time to get boring. Both sides have to learn their strengths and weaknesses to be able to gain the upper hand.
Roger Keating
SSG

Previous

Return to Feedback/Suggestions