Registered machines?

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Registered machines?

Postby hank » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:57 pm

I've been playing KP/TAO3 for several months now.

I've been running into a problem playing email games on my laptop computer. I have KP installed on my home desktop computer and the laptop I use for work and travel. It seems if I start an Email game on one computer, I can't play subsequent moves on the other even though I'm using the same original install disk. I get a message that says game has to be played on a registered machine (or something like that). This is a problem because I have to travel sometimes for work and I can't play email moves from the hotel due to this roadblock.

Is there a way around this ?

hank
hank
Major
Major

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:20 pm

Have you PBEM security turned on? If so, your PBEM game can be played only on the machine where you did your first move.
It seems the security system is talking with your Windows registry, so I don´t see a workaround apart from turning off PBEM security.
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby JSS » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:44 pm

Hank,

What Graf mentioned is the absolute case. PBEM secure games can only be played on one machine.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:49 pm

Hank,

only thing working should be as mentioned above to turn of the Security mode, which is something that (I believe) has to be done at the start-up of a new pbem game...

/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Arnvidh » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:58 am

No, you can turn of security in a game started as secure. Might be the only way to recover a game if for example your computer brakes down totally. Of course your opponent will se that its not secure anymore.
Arnvidh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Twinkle » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:15 am

I tried to do that in a game stopped due to my opponent’s computer. He had some troubles after using the windows update function and it ended with him having to reinstall some stuff and our game stopped working on his computer. We both tried to remove the secure mode but it didn't work. In my case the game told me to load next turn, not even giving me the option to unsecure the game... :cry:

/twinkle

P.S. what did I do wrong?
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Arnvidh » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:19 am

When a game turn is sent to an opponent, there will be an option to cancel the Secure Mode status. When the turn is received by the opponent, the game will then be an Unsecure game. This will allow for situations (such as travel, repair or the inevitable operating system reinstalls) where a player’s original computer is unavailable.

From the 1.1 patch notes. I havn't tried myself so I dont know how it works.
Arnvidh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby hank » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:32 am

Thanks gentlemen. That was quick. It didn't dawn on me the program was reading my registry.

Oh well, I'll have to tell the boss I can't go out of town because its disrupting to my wargaming. ... yea!! that'll go over good.

thanks again
hank
Major
Major

Postby carnifex » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:52 am

We both tried to remove the secure mode but it didn't work

Yeah, I believe you can only remove secure mode after actually loading the turn successfully. So you can do it in preparation of an upcoming change to your system configuration, but if your turn fails to load due to a change then you're out of luck :(
carnifex
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby CESteman » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:44 am

Wow, I learned something new today. I'm out of town with job as well and while I'm new to KP I was thinking of starting a new game. Now I know. Knowledge is power :) Later!
Mr. C.
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Feedback/Suggestions