very minor OOB issues with TAO3

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

very minor OOB issues with TAO3

Postby ciril » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:28 am

There is a US armored battalion in the Ardennes scenario named "70 Armor". I'm sure that number is missing a last digit, no?

I'm also wondering why the US tank battalions are called "Armor" instead of "Tank", as was their historical designation.

Is there any special reason why the US parachute infantry regiments are called "Airborne"? They're airborne, but so are the "Glider" regiments.

Ciril
ciril
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:42 am

Ciril,

70 Ar Bn is correct. 72 AR Bn & 73 AR Bn would later fight in Korea. Unit designations were not all 700 series.

As far as I know US "tank" units have been designated AR from the start of WWII thru today.

The infantry regiments in the original US Airborne Divisions were either Parachute Infantry Regiments or Glider Infantry Regiments. Both types were Airborne. Concept is focused on vertical envelopment of the enemy. Same concept is used in the current US Army with the 82d Abn Div using parachutes and the 101st Abn Div using helicopters... both divisions are fully capable of establishing themselves in enemy territory without need of roads, bridges, or even a path thru enemy's front line.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby ciril » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:58 am

Well, this is the first time I'm seeing "Armor". For instance, all the Bulge histories I've seen have "Tank".

Here is another one. The Volksgrenadier Divisions, according to the popular German Army Handbook, had a Fusilier company, not a battalion as in TAO3.

Just something to talk about.

Ciril
ciril
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Arnvidh » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:27 am

I dont know but I guess they had some more single companies of different sorts? As there isnt any company-size units they are merged into one battalion and then it has to be called something.
Arnvidh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Feedback/Suggestions