PBEM woes

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Robjess » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:11 am

Lekim, they are right, shorten your PBEM name.. Im sure if you call it something really short like "go" or something :) I will work!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby lekim » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:46 am

I mustn't have read the whole thread properly. 8 characters worked. Thanks.
lekim
Corporal
Corporal

Surrendering?

Postby Flashman » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:38 am

I was playing a ladder game with AP514 and he wanted to surrender and finish the game. We couldnt figure out how to do this and when he sent me the first move of a new game my computer kept telling me it was waiting for turn 7 of the old game.

In the back of my mind (unfortuanately too far back :oops: ) I have this vague memory that I read something about surrendering on one of the forums. ( I have searched unsuccessfully). Is there a quick way to terminate a game and the pbem files?

I have since deleted and reloaded the game but this seems rather cumbersome.

I assume a new pbem game will work now but we havent actually started a new one yet.
Flashman-

Indecision is the key to flexibility!
ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:28 am

I dont quite understand what the problem is.. so I will attempt a scatter gun respose and hope that I hit it with an answer :)

Ladder game, then I assume that you were using PBEM security? If you load a PBEM secure turn and then exit the turn without completing it, then you can NOT load any other PBRM turn until you have completed the half incomplement turn that you previously loaded.

So it may have been a case that this happened, ie; he conceeded and sent you the lastest turn, you loaded it up to have a look at what the final state of things were, maybe even moved a unit or two and then exited from the game. The engine thinks that the game is still being played and therefore saves the current state of your turn. Your opponent send you a new turn to start a new fresh game, you go to load it but you cant because the engine wont allow you to load any new PBEM games until you reload and completed the half completed turn.

If this is the case, then simply select the resume secure game (I think it is) option and press End turn go through the motions of sending the old games turn to your opponent, but dont actually send the email item..

This should clear out and reset the PBEM secure cache and you should now be able to load your new PBEM turn.

The other problem that could have happened.. is that for your new game, your opponent has used the SAME name for the PBEM game as what the last PBEM game was. This could be a reason that the engine is not allowing you to load the new turn 1 turn.. because it think its turn 1 from the old game. Whilst I cant confirm that the engine may be operating like this, the easy remedy may be to not use the same name again :)

And yes a solution may be to delete all of the old PBEM games which you are no longer playing.. again I cant confirm is this will work or not.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Brubaker » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:07 am

You have hit on an idea/suggestion here Rob that would be good Rob I think, and that is to have a button or function on one of the screens that will remove an email game from the directiores. So by selectingBruRob1 for instance, and pressing delete, will remove all mention of the game from our folders. When you have a look in the folders at present ther is quite a few files there :cry: which can make selecting the right one quite dffiuclt at times.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:18 am

Hi Flashman!,

I believe that you can only 100% successfully start a new pbem directly after starting up KP, i.e., do not look at any other pbem-game before starting up a new on, because this might give your new game the old game settings and thus preventing it from working properly.

Regarding surrendering: just surrender and give you opponent the pleasure of entering an overhelming victory in the run5 ladder.

Regarding deleting old files: how do you do it for other kinds of software, you never need to use your keyboard? But maybe a shortcut like the one mentioned could be useful.

Brubaker wrote:You have hit on an idea/suggestion here Rob that would be good Rob I think, and that is to have a button or function on one of the screens that will remove an email game from the directiores. So by selectingBruRob1 for instance, and pressing delete, will remove all mention of the game from our folders. When you have a look in the folders at present ther is quite a few files there which can make selecting the right one quite dffiuclt at times.

Agreed, good suggestion Rob.

/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Previous

Return to Feedback/Suggestions