PBEM woes

Have a suggestion or some feedback? Dont keep it to yourself - share it!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

PBEM woes

Postby ciril » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:05 am

I've had some trouble trying to run a PBEM game. This is using v1.10.

My opponent started a secure game and sent me his dkp file. First it wouldn't load because, apparently, the file name was too long, or maybe the blank spaces created a problem. I shortened the file name and it loaded ok.

I played out my turn and sent my .eml file to my opponent, but he can't read it. Should I have sent the .dkp file as well? The manual doesn't say which files should be sent back.

It seems the automailer doesn't work with secure games.

Upon completing my turn as mentioned above, I couldn't start a new PBEM game. I reinstalled the game (and deleted everything KP from the disk) and started my own secure game. After completing the turn, I couldn't start another PBEM game. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Ciril
ciril
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:39 am

The automailer should work, and yes its the dkp file which you need to send.

My experiance with it has been that everything works fine..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby hank » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:49 am

Don't ask me why, but an opponent of mine and I both had problems with pbem because we forced the setup program to install the game in the C:\Program Files\Matrix Games subdirectory instead of in the C:\Matrix Games subdirectory where it defaults to.

It may not be your problem but it fixed our problem.

hank
hank
Major
Major

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:48 pm

There is no such thing as an .EML file.

This implies that you have installed the game to a folder other than the standard folder.

I have done it and the same .EML file appeared.
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:09 pm

My experience is that KP doesn´t like long filenames, spaces or special characters. I had the eml-issue as well, but when I changed the filename to a length of seven characters, the game created an e-mail with the correct .dkp-file extension after hitting the end turn button.
Ciril, it may sound silly but where did you change the file name? If you don´t change it in KP´s PBEM setup screen, then every new turn will generate a faulty file.
Btw, I have the game NOT installed in the default directory, so I don´t think that this is the only cause of the problem.
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby Robjess » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:12 pm

Yeah I have 5 different versions of the game installed and none of them are in the default install directories.. so this shouldnt be the issue.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

conclusions

Postby ciril » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:13 am

Starhemberg, I couldn't change the file name in KP as I did not initiate the game. I changed it with my file manager.

My opponent has now sent me a new 1st turn (v1.11, unsecure) and it works fine. The file name is not much shorter, but there are no blank spaces either.

My conclusion is that a) spaces are bad and b) changing the file name outside of KP is bad.

Ciril
ciril
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:08 am

Yes I dont recommend changing the file name outside of KP, as it may corrupt the security system.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Brubaker » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:05 pm

An .eml file is (I believe) a Microsoft Outlook extension - for instance if you save an email somehwere it has this extension.

My experience is also that if the game is installed to a non-default location, my email client (outlook) does not launch correctly from within the game. Installing the game to the default (c:\ ...) directory has always fixed this.

The file you want to send to your partner will be a .dkp file and will ALWAYS be found somewhere in the KP\SaveEmail\Send folder.

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

works ok now (but not the problematic file)

Postby ciril » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:43 am

I am using v1.11 now. I can start a secure game and it works fine, automailer and everything. Maybe the earlier problem was due to my own imperfect testing, so I guess it's best to disregard that part of my report (for now anyway).

However, I would still recommend against using spaces and changing file names outside KP.

I'll put the problematic PBEM file (mentioned in my initial post) on the web as soon as I get approval from my opponent. Whoever wants to can then analyze it or whatever.

And again, it would be nice if there were clear instructions as to which files should be sent and where the incoming files should be placed.

Ciril
ciril
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:21 am

Ok here are the clear instructions:

Normally the Automailer should take care of this, but - here are the clear instructions :)

TO SEND:

The PBEM game file corresponding to the name of your PBEM game and the turn, will be located in your ...korsun pocket\SaveEmail\Send folder. It will have a .DKP extention.

WHEN RECEIVED:

When you receive a PBEM game turn from your opponent it should be saved in the following folder, ...korsun pocket\SaveEmail\Play
It too should have a .DKP extention.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

clear instructions

Postby ciril » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:09 am

robjess wrote:Ok here are the clear instructions:

Normally the Automailer should take care of this, but - here are the clear instructions :)

TO SEND:

The PBEM game file corresponding to the name of your PBEM game and the turn, will be located in your ...korsun pocket\SaveEmail\Send folder. It will have a .DKP extention.

WHEN RECEIVED:

When you receive a PBEM game turn from your opponent it should be saved in the following folder, ...korsun pocket\SaveEmail\Play
It too should have a .DKP extention.

Cool. But just to be clear, I thought it would be a good idea to put clear instructions in the manual or readme files. Not everyone who needs the instructions will see this thread.

Ciril
ciril
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby lekim » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:35 pm

I've been trying to get a PBEM game started and end up with an .EML file. I'm in the middle fo a game with Rob and that started OK on my machine and I'm definitely finished my turn 'cos Rob's next one is waiting to be downloaded. No changes to my machine. Tried on my laptop with same result. Both UK 1.11. fixed. Twelve charaters all but one are letters (one number) no spaces.

Maybe have to get my opponent to start and see what happens.
lekim
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Arnvidh » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:58 am

Lekim: Me and Bertram had that problem when starting up our tournament-game, it must be the same problem. Dont use more than 8 characters, 9 didnt work for us. I dont have this problem with others but I know he experienced it aginst at least one more person. And in both cases it worked with 8 or less characters.
Arnvidh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Fairfax » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:21 am

I'm not a windows expert but I have it in the back of my mind somewhere that there are different rules for filenames depending on which o/s and even maybe on your setting (i.e ntfs or whatever the other disk format is ). I guess we must have a windows expert somewhere in these forums who can comment on this ???.

Anyway, 8 chars may be the one that is compatible across all versions of windows. :?:
Fairfax
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Feedback/Suggestions