PBEM ATD2

Looking for an opponent to play Across The Dnepr Second Edition?

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

PBEM ATD2

Postby Talos » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Finally got set up for ATD 2 so looking for a a game or two of ATD2. Drop me a PM or email to lewisew@ntlworld.com if you are interested.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Bertram » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 am

you got mail
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Talos » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Bertram/Slevi will drop you mails 2nite.

Slots now filled.
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
3: OTP Axis v JSS
4: Open

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Bertram/Slevi will drop you mails 2nite.

Slots now filled.

Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Bertram » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:24 am

Depending on where you live I might be gone for the weekend when the mail arrives. Will be back sunday evening (CET).
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Spuddy64 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:48 am

you are both brave souls (Bertram/Slevi)

I still get chills and a sour stomach when I recall the sever beating I recieved at the hand of Talos...............and it's been months!
Spuddy64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Wed May 26, 2010 9:58 pm

I have three games going at the moment of ATD2 all playing the Russians. Once i get some time i am going to post some more detailed comments about this scenario, because its very difficult to play as the Russians, and given players of equal strength i am not sure its possible to win unless there is a substantial amount of luck.

One of the games is going my way, but i would expect that based on the skill level differential, the other two games are where i have a slight edge in skill level but not much and the other i would consider a peer in ability to me.

Both of the later 2, are to close to call so far, but i am not feeling overly optimistic (Russian casualties have been horrendous) in both of the later 2 games though my opponents have chosen different strategies as the Germans.

As i have mentioned on the Matrix forum, a good start by the German player means the Russians are in all kinds of trouble from the start and there are generally not enough forces to hold two entrenched lines or enough replacements to fill the holes in the Soviet units.

Its also impossible to hold a city if the German player really wants it and has enough Infantry (or other units) to do multiple assualts in a given turn.

As an aside i have noticed that the Soviet units seem to have a random strength in terms of steps for those in the rear areas at the start, so you could get lucky and have these unit start at a higher strength or even full strength.

At the end i will post what seems to be the most effective ways for the Russians to defend (though this is relative) as i have tried several different options during the games so far.

Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu May 27, 2010 1:43 am

Talos: after I finish my overdue Fall Gelb update, I'll start working on an unofficial ATD2 variant. I have a number of ideas which should give the Soviets more of a chance and make the scenario more historical. If you could find the time to help me test it when it's done, I'd appreciate it.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri May 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Abwehr wrote:Talos: after I finish my overdue Fall Gelb update, I'll start working on an unofficial ATD2 variant. I have a number of ideas which should give the Soviets more of a chance and make the scenario more historical. If you could find the time to help me test it when it's done, I'd appreciate it.

Hi Ab happy to help with any testing.

As an added note the first game is close to finishing, and i may even still control Smolensk at the end of the game though surrounded. It looks like generally i will manage to hold the Germans roughly where OtM starts in BII, though they have probable got a bit further, i would need to look at the OtM scenario in a bit more detail.

Also in one of the other games i managed to get part of the SS DR division (regiment and recon) to surrender which i think in the scheme of things a major victory as every thing in that attack went perfectly.

Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby slevi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:28 am

Also in one of the other games i managed to get part of the SS DR division (regiment and recon) to surrender which i think in the scheme of things a major victory as every thing in that attack went perfectly.

The divisional commander was too scared to report the facts back to Berlim. :shock: Luckly for him, some hard battles raged elsewhere :D and the remaining units of DR were able to pull back to safety behind the lines for now. It is always interesting to play against Talos, you never know what he is up too until it is too late. :twisted:
Image Image
slevi
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Across The Dnepr Second Edition Play By Email (PBEM)