Scenarios in Development December 2010

Discussion relating to Across The Dnepr Second Edition

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Malak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:14 am

Hi JSS,

Looks like I miss completely this thread, glad you are back in scenario design stuff. For TAO number 6, may be I could give you a little help. In fact, I have started a little bit some few things about this.

I have integrated the map, the strong points, the objectives and the supply dumps in Kharkov engine.

I have also started the OOB and done the British (easy one) and half of the US. I have not started the Germans OOB yet. And, I have not done anything on combat values.

May be I could send it to you when you want to start this one. Perhaps, let me finish all the OOB graphics for the Germans first. :lol:

Cheers
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Malak,

Looks fantastic!

Normally a scenario like TAO can be finished much faster if the graphics and OOB are there to work with (step one in my scenario design process).

If you can work thru some more OOB graphics and then send that would be great!!!

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby RalphH » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I have some time to help out with pbem if any of you developers want some play tests of your scenarios.
RalphH
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pete AU » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm

TAO6 - i'm up for that.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:19 pm

...it's part of the system heritage, so it would be remiss not to have a TAO6 I'm sure :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm

I expect that TAO might not be well suited to the Kharkov engine due to the difficult terrain and the dice roll artillery, instead of shifts you can add. In Pete's Konrad scenario, the good defensive terrain made attacks nearly impossible at anything approaching good odds and losses were generally low. I had several situations where attacks were stopped by 1 step units. In Konrad, The Soviets have artillery divisions to deal with the problem, and a large part of the map is fairly decent terrain.

There are no artillery divisions in the Ardennes and virtually the entire part of the map we'll be fighting on is bad terrain.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:55 am

Clearly, I am not an expert in CRT, combat values, etc… I was also thinking hedgehogs in the Kharkov engine will allow Bastogne and St Vith to slow down the German player as historically.

Perhaps, the lack of artillery could be compensated by special attacks like the Panzer Shock of ATD scenario. This is just a matter of number after all.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 am

There's also the matter that, unlike in the DB series, the retreat column requires its own roll, which further complicates matters.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:08 pm

I need Bastogne.
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby gnr_ss » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:19 pm

how about the progress of TAO6?i.m very glad to see it soon.thank you for your effort.
gnr_ss
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby jjdenver » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Did we ever end up with any scenarios other than Husky and Stalingrad for this game (ATD2)?
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pete AU » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:43 pm

I did Iskra and Gaudalajara 1937 also and have pretty much done Borodino 1812. However, due to infreqquent downloading from rapidshare these are now off the server. I have about 40 scenarios I could do as 16 to 20 turn scenarios but have been busy with other things. Unfortunately there also seems little demand for the work one puts in - other than self satisfaction. SSG were doing an official new scenario that was at the playtest stage. I'm not sure if it will be released.

Nice to see there is still activity here anyway.

Cheers

Pete
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Good to hear from you Pete.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:21 am

16 - 20 turns are a good length

Joe
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hank » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:58 am

I've resurrected my AtD2.

When I read this thread I thought a TAO scenario may be available in the near future (hopefully). So I installed Kharkhov/AtD2 and am now playing through another attempt at capturing Smolensk successfully.

The days of playing TAO, Normandy and Korsun Pocket will always be good memories ... both against the AI and PBEM. I could re-install KP and BiN but I have a tendency to keep to the latest versions.

This is the only hex map strategy game on my new puter. Combat Flight Sims and HW2 (w/mods) dominate my gaming presently. I have thought about installing my HPS Smolensk game for parallels to the SSG version. I vacillate so much between my old games and new stuff that its annoying.

I hope all is well with everyone. I also hope some new scenarios pop up soon for this wonderful engine.
hank
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Across The Dnepr - Second Edition Discussion