Abwehr - when will your mod version of ATD2 be out?

Discussion relating to Across The Dnepr Second Edition

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Abwehr - when will your mod version of ATD2 be out?

Postby jjdenver » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:56 am

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:14 pm

My modding has been delayed due to testing War in the East, which is taking up most of my time, and waiting for SSG responses to some questions, but SSG seems to be off the grid for the moment. The remaining work for the variant is mostly editor work and checking the German OOB. The end of next week should be a realistic target for release, now that I have an idea how much time the other things I have to do consume.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:37 pm

http://rapidshare.com/files/421629041/across_the_dnepr.7z

Changes:

-Soviet OP's increased, but not modifiers for penalties (so it mostly effects movement in friendly terrain).
-Soviet regimental units and the T34 battalions now have a life.
-Tank units near Vitebsk placed on the other side of the minor river, one regiment has an increased maximum strength due to T34's/KV1's in the unit. There is still no unit in the actual Vitebsk hex. This change makes it easier for the Germans to get into Vitebsk, but gives the Soviets the choice if they want to try the historical counterattack.
-Soviet refit percentage is now 20% for all non-cavalry HQ's and still 30% for cavalry.
-All militia divisions are gone, they're abstracted into the higher refit rate and the higher replacements.
-Soviets now get a replacement step at the same rate as the Germans.
-Variable weather, mostly sunny with hard soil, but there will be some mud and rain turns in the average game.
-Changed AO triggers for the Soviets to more reasonable locations.
-Removed numerous duplicate Soviet tank divisions.
-Tank divisions with a number higher than 100 that originally started on-map now arrive on the map on turn 7 (literally on the map, not in OMA's), you can't refit them before that.
-Soviet artillery now gets a bullet each turn, but spends one more bullet when firing. Average times a Soviet artillery unit can fire is increased slightly compared to the original. This is mostly to prevent the units from becoming sitting ducks when refitting.

This is basically a beta release as it hasn't been tested, let me know if something doesn't seem to work and I'll fix it.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 am

Ok thanks.

What's the rough timeline on the release of any ported scenario? Are we talking days, weeks, or months for the first one? That will help me decide whether to start a game of ATD2 with Patrick (just finished our game of Gazala) or wait for a new scenario to come out which I'd sort of prefer.

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 am

I'd say: start a new ATD2 game first. I'd suggest that, if using my variant, the German player should check the weather forecast before doing anything and see if it indicates the first week will be one big muddy mess (more than 3 mud turns), you start over. The chance isn't that high, but it can happen due to the random weather. Not too much I can do about that.

Porting scenarios is one thing, but making them work in the Kharkov/ATD2 engine will take some time. I'm hoping I can port one in October and make it work, but it would take playtesting after that to refine it, which can theoretically take months.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 am

Abwehr wrote:-Soviet OP's increased, but not modifiers for penalties (so it mostly effects movement in friendly terrain).
-All militia divisions are gone, they're abstracted into the higher refit rate and the higher replacements.
-Soviets now get a replacement step at the same rate as the Germans.
-Removed numerous duplicate Soviet tank divisions.
-Tank divisions with a number higher than 100 that originally started on-map now arrive on the map on turn 7 (literally on the map, not in OMA's), you can't refit them before that.

Increased OP's - I looked and they still have 18 OP's for infantry regiments. What has been increased?

Militia gone, higher replacements - How are replacements higher more specifically?

replacement step at same rate as Germans - what does this mean? Does it mean that if you have a timed replacement step on a unit and it takes a step loss that the timed replacement will arrive quicker?

I counted up Soviet tank divisions - Original version: 12 on-map, 3 off-map. Mod version: 7 on-map, 5 off-map. So Soviets lost 3 total tank divisions?

Thanks for clarifications.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:28 am

OP increase effects artillery, motorized unit and armour. Artillery now moves at the speed of infantry (horsedrawn). Soviet non-mechanized corps units are now generally at 36/24 I believe, and Mechanized Corps units at 42/24. As said before, they still have fewer OP's than their German counterparts and the HQ OP penalty modifiers have not been changed, so this should mostly effect movement in friendly hexes.

Infantry replacements are higher after turn 9 (5/turn, I believe), the Soviets get a 20% refit rate, and (one replacement step for every 4 steps KIA'ed, like the Germans.

51st, 52nd and 56th Tank Divisions were removed.

After reading my changelist again, I noticed I forgot to mention some changes, although I mentioned most of them before:

-All German infantry division artillery is now horsedrawn, which primarily changes their movement type.

-All Marder using units are gone.

-Overruns are no longer possible against forts, city and swamp hexes.

-Soviet tactical shift modifiers are now -3/-1/0/2/4/6/7. If the Soviets manage to surround a German unit, it will take a beating. This is an abstraction of the Soviet preference for offensive actions and numbers over tactical skill.

-I've renamed the German special attack to Shock Tactics, it's still the same attack though.

-The Soviets get a special attack, called a Wave attack, which causes +2 losses for the attacker, +1 for the defender and gives a +1 bonus to each shift.

-The Soviets get a 60% entrench modifier and a -3 hidden modifier. The German entrenchment bonus has been reduced to 10% (they can't afford to waste a day digging in), but their modifiers remain the same. This is one area that needs to be tested in combination with the Soviet special attack.

Although the Soviets have fewer units, the units they do have should be able to withstand more of a beating and be able to counterattack exposed German units more easily.

I'm not entirely sure whether the units that now have a life actually reappear after death. I still have to find out the most practical way to make them spawn in a certain OMA, as many units will reappear at Smolensk.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 am

I started a test game, killed 3 regiments of 153rd div near Vitebsk. 2 turns later they appeared in a Soviet OMA to be placed with 1 step at Smolensk. I might suggest putting them on east map edge as a safer place in case Soviets lose Smolensk.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:20 am

Yes, safer OMA's are indeed required, I'll see if I can fix that tomorrow. The Smolensk OMA would probably be overloaded soon enough even without the Germans in the area.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:52 pm

I've added reinforcement OMA's at Rzhev, Vyazma and Kirov. They can be used by moving a unit from the Smolensk OMA there. For each new OMA, two of the entry hexes give truck movement, the other doesn't give anything (for armour and for when the enemy's close).

http://rapidshare.com/files/421939661/across_the_dnepr.7z
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:45 pm

JJ, any comments thus far?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 am

Ah sorry, no feedback. Patrick and I decided to play a game of Op Konrad so I haven't got back to ATD2 yet.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jjdenver » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:52 am

Abwehr I asked another friend to DL the new ATD2 mod you made and he says link is expired. Can you create another link and post here pls? Thx.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Sure, I'll do so later today.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:48 am

I'll upload it tomorrow, I can't access the PC the file is on currently.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Across The Dnepr - Second Edition Discussion