So whats new?

Discussion relating to Across The Dnepr Second Edition

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Strax » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Turn 15 against Noakesy just finished. Noakesy as Axis and myself, the gallant defenders of the Motherland.

Herr Noakes is at the gates of Smolensk with all of his western objectives now taken. I did manage to stall him for a while with a counter attacking strategy but alas once the counter attacks had petered out there weren't that many defenders left.

I kept a nagging pressure on his forces at Vitebsk and tried to make his supply lines suffer by cutting the road...I'm not sure if that worked or not but he did have trouble getting over the river at Vitebsk for quite some time.

Folk songs have now been written about the brave defenders of Orsha which, with some persuasion form the NKVD, held out until turn 9 or 10.
This wasn't the great stalling tactic I had hoped for though as Mogilev only lasted until Turn 4.

This led me to believe that the dastardly Noakes would therefore push east and I rapidly sent the 25th Mech corp down there with several rifle divisions to try and deal with the threat to Mstislavl'. I set up a rolling defence/ counter attack where I would try to get behind his lines and frustrate him but this usually resulted in mass casualties of some of my best units and huge gaps in my lines. It did delay him however and Mstislavl' with the encouragement of the NKVD didn't fall until turn 11.

That may have been because Noakesy had decided, that once through Mogilev, to turn his nastier forces north to sweep past the siege of Orsha and head along the road south of the Dnpre towards Smolensk. This road was now only lightly defended and I didn't have too much to send there to help.

With Smolensk now being threatend from south of the river the pressure around Vitebsk had to cease and the decision was taken to fall back to the Demidov line. Again I tried the tactic of trying to get behid Noakesy and again paid dearly for it. Too many fresh faced German units to deal with and Demidov fell on turn 12. Velizh lasted another couple of days but capitulated on this turn 15. As did Nevel in the far north.

Back in the south, once Mstislavl' had fallen things began to pick up a pace for the Germans. With not many men or units left to defend Roslavl' it fell on turn 13.

Smolensk may last another turn or 2 but no longer. I'm winning by 3800ish points but once all the cities fall, which they will, I fear my nemesis Noakesy will yet again beat me.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Talos » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:28 pm

With 3800 ish vp lead you should have enough to get some kind of victory by the game end. :wink:

I am just about to play my last turn against Slevi after which i will post some comments as its the second game i have finished as the Soviets and the other one i had going has stopped for the moment, but it has given me enough info to formulate some kind of defensive tactics.

But based on what i have seen, i think the Soviets will have a tough time winning, the way it stands at the moment the Germans are just to strong and the Soviets can not keep enough VP locations for long enough.

As the scenario stands i think things need re-balancing slightly, though i am unsure as to how much at the moment.

The easiest thing to do this would be to give some extra VP's per turn for the three eastern VP locations, but it may be possible to do some other things as well.
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
3: OTP Axis v JSS
4: Open

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Any kind of VP improvement for Rzhev, Vyazma and Kirov would be nice, as their main benefit the Soviets get for holding them is that the Germans don't get the boatloads of points they get when they capture them.

After my heavy defeat in the partially AAR'ed PBEM game and several other tries, I'm convinced the Soviets can at best get a draw against an experienced player. As the Germans don't have any AO's to speak of, the unit concentrations they can form opposing your AO limited stacks are just too strong.

Most of the comments about the Soviets doing OK during a turn seem to include mentions of scattered German strength. If the Germans decide to go more or less "all or nothing" on Smolensk, you are virtually doomed to lose it before turn 10, no matter how lucky you get.

To me, there are a number of things that need to be rebalanced and I'm in the process of doing so in my variant, which is nearly complete except for the HQ's as the editor is working against me when it comes to HQ's.

Urban combat is way too easy on the attacker. One of the problems os that the tactical shifts don't take unit size into account, so 4 full strength Rifle regiments could be blown out of a city by some 600-800 man battalions because the German CRT's more or less start at 8-1.

I've made overruns impossible on cities and am working on making overruns on forts impossible if they're in cities (if possible, I'd create two fort categories or simply give one fort category, those in cities, an urban CRT and the rest other CRT's). Currently, the Germans don't even need to use artillery to get in anywhere, because they have a pretty reliable chance to overrun a city or can simply attack it a number of times in a row. After getting my behind handed to me by some 6-6 results in cities, I'm convinced something needs to be done.

I've also changed AO trigger locations for the Soviets, as some triggers were in rather odd locations (villages or hexes in the middle of nowhere that the Germans would not necessarily need to capture).

Generally, I'm of the opinion that it should not be possible to overcome a skilled defense purely with sheer luck.

The stock scenario can turn into a walk in the park for the Germans rather quickly, but that will change in my variant.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strax » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:47 am

An extra Soviet arti strike per hex in the early turns may help?
Strax
Major
Major

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:27 am

I've done that too, the Soviets now get 2 strikes/turn and their artillery units also get 1 artillery bullet as resupply each turn, but require 1 more bullet to fire (the limit is 4, so the heavy artillery will still require 4 bullets). That means the Soviets don't have to constantly refit their artillery units to rearm them (which made them sitting ducks) and are now supplied "on the move" like the Germans, whilst their supply problems are now abstracted into requiring an extra bullet to fire. That means the amount of times the artillery can fire is comparable to the stock version, but there's a lot less risk of Soviet artillery units being killed due to moving a grand total of 4 or so hexes, refitting, and the German lead units with their immense OP values catching up with them.

Many Soviet units also have more basic and HQ OP's, although the HQ's still won't take away as many penalties as German HQ's, so the extra OP's mostly show when moving units along interior lines, as it should be.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 am

Strax wrote:Smolensk may last another turn or 2 but no longer. I'm winning by 3800ish points but once all the cities fall, which they will, I fear my nemesis Noakesy will yet again beat me.
....again :wink: :lol:

This has to be false modesty by that scoundrel Strax, he's light years ahead, and I've lost too many units with others running out of ammunition it all looks rather dire, and his cavalry running all over the place too (sneaking around the flanks). However, I will of course try my best (although this blinking world cup is interfering with my turns I'm afraid). :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Across The Dnepr - Second Edition Discussion