Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

So whats new?

Postby Targ » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:06 am

Any news on future plans or updates?
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Bertram » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:44 pm

I think that depends heavily on the number of units sold - it seems the time to get each new iteration out gets longer (is more work), and viewing the number of forum posts, generates less interest.

I think in a post some time back the developers were more or less wondering if it was worth it.
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Iberian » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:51 am

Bertram wrote:I think that depends heavily on the number of units sold - it seems the time to get each new iteration out gets longer (is more work), and viewing the number of forum posts, generates less interest.

I think in a post some time back the developers were more or less wondering if it was worth it.

It is worth it.

This is the best hex-based wargame that has ever been developed.

This is the best operational wargame ever devoloped.

I don't know what to say about the forum posts. Maybe we are too busy playing.
Iberian
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby BossGnome » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:54 am

For anyone who might have been dissapointed by Battlefront, or who found Kharkov too scripted:

ATD2 is hands down SSG's best Scenario, at least since BIN. Buy it, you won't be sorry you did.
BossGnome
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Targ » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:09 am

I was just curious if anything is going on. I understand that they seem to get lambasted either way when they share information.

It just seems pretty dead at Matrix and here. Almost like there is no interest by Matrix nor SSG, at least to me.

I get that same feeling after buying Kharkov and now ATD2. I fear we will hear little to nothing for another 2 years or more.

I miss the goos old days of BiI when there were lot's of active people around here and lot's of user created scenarios being made.

I feel this community is pretty dead to be honest.
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:36 am

Targ,

There's a number of user scenarios in development right now. These look quite good.

ATD2 should also provide the base for a number of additional user scenarios.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby BossGnome » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 pm

I don't think the community is dead; I personally am busy playing a PBEM game so I am not posting that much on the forums - id rather have a full game of ATD2 under my belt before I start making any strategic comments, etc. SSG is apparently working on a patch to the Husky scenario (which, in all honesty, it needs), and on updating a few BII scenarios. As for Matrix having any interest, that's another story...
BossGnome
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Bertram » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:14 pm

I certainly didn't mean it isnt worth it for us, the players. The question is , of course, if it is worth it for the developers to put the manhours in it, for the return they are getting (both in money and in satisfaction from the number of games sold).

I personally hope they keep producing games for a long time - I wil keep buying them.
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Iberian » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Well, Across the Dnper 2 just come out very few weeks ago, with three additional scenarios: Husky, Konrad and Kirovograd. So it's very early to ask about news.

Regarding the forum traffic, one thing that doesn't help is having the community split in two. We have the original Run5/SSG forums, and the ones at Matrix. That doesn't help.

On the other hand, I've played most of the computer wargames that has been published since the late '80s, and I can assure the SSG system is probably the best. There are many wargames at Matrix that generate lot of forum traffic, some of the very recent, that are very, very far away from the "operational feeling" that SSG offers.
Iberian
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pete AU » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:02 am

I know somone who will enjoy Guadalajara 1937 and Pennarroya: - OOB done start work once Stalingrad and Iskra are released.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:41 am

The community mostly seems to communicate through e-mails, although the testing and design sections of the forum are not quite dead (although 1 post/day is still a rarity).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Re: So whats new?

Postby Gregor Whiley » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Targ wrote:Any news on future plans or updates?

Yes, we're working on new stuff at the moment. However, from long experience, there is no point in talking about until its almost finished. If we do, no matter how we qualify comments, we seem to set up a sense of entitlement or expectation that we can't satisfy.

We can't get stuff out any faster than we are. A game like ATD2 is huge and just takes a long to to design and then test and balance. In the meantime please rest assured that we are working as hard as we can and you will hear about our new project shortly before its available to buy.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Malak » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:33 am

This is good news. I like very much Kharkov engine.

As long as you are still using and supporting this engine for your next developments, I think it will encourage people willing to support SSG to create scenarios.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby jjdenver » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm not sure it is worth spending time speculating on number of posts, whether a community is dead, etc etc.

Putting aside that sort of speculation I do know that this is an absolute top-notch system but because of the rather deep gameplay and serious attention span required to play it, it's not going to attract hordes of players.

I'm glad to hear there are more scenarios in development and that there is an ATD2 variant in development as well.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby hank » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 am

In the effort to add to forum traffic ... I'm on move 15 of a game playing as Axis. I'm all kinds of excited because I think I'm on the verge of a marginal win. I'm not a good attacking player so playing with Axis is more a challenge to me than playing the Soviet side. I've already got a victory as Soviets (posted a couple of moons ago).

I restarted a game as Axis round move 7 or 8 because I was not pushing hard enough. This game I took Vitebsk (turn 2) and Orsha (turn 5) and Smolensk on turn 13. I just took Mogelev on turn 14 but I did not try too hard because I wanted to concentrate on Smolensk.

I'll share the stats when done. It will be a few days because I bought Panther's BftB so I'm sharing time 'tween the two ... but AtD still draws me back each day for a half move or so.

enjoy
hank
Major
Major

Next

Return to Across The Dnepr - Second Edition Discussion