Husky

Discussion relating to Across The Dnepr Second Edition

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Gregor Whiley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:44 pm

We will do an official patch to Husky to fix an errors wrong AA function etc, that Abwehr or anybody else finds. This will be part of Kharkov/ATD patch which we will work up soon.

Abwehr is doing his own version of the scenario which incorporates the other changes he wishes to make, and if the logistics all work out I'm happy to include that in the patch as well, so everyone can play either or both of the official or Abwehr scenarios.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Bertram » Tue May 11, 2010 6:22 am

I am doing the Husky scenario against the AI, as the Allies. I got to say the Germans are doing rather well against the British. (This is with the AI on the recommended stronger option).
HG and the Luftwaffe troops manage to destroy a stack or two of British each turn. I though 2 regiments, dug in and behind a river would be enough to be safe from an attack, but with the heavy artillery taking away two steps each turn, and HG and the Luftwaffe attacking, the stack gets a retreat quite often, after which the other artillery finishes it.
Making stronger stacks, with a non continuous front line does not work either - the panzers infiltrate with about the same result.
In my opinion the Germans might be a bit to strong here - though the setting could influence this. Local counterattacks I can see, but the Germans wiping out two dug in infantry divisions in two turns is a bit much. I am lucky the AI has defense orders, otherwise I think the British would have been wiped out totally.
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby jjdenver » Tue May 11, 2010 12:57 pm

It seems like the allies need to snap up some ground quickly, dig in, then use air and artillery to attrit the German stacks.

The German ground forces are very very deadly in PBEM.

The Germans can make clever use of stacking to force the allies to hit Italian units with air/artillery strikes.

The allies can use refit to bring units up to strength that have died since they don't get that many replacement points. In this way the allies can rotate units from dead to full to the line. Also as allies it's not smart to let your artillery get too low on supply. Anytime the Germans spring forward for an attack and aren't in entrenchments you want to be able to unleash every artillery piece on them.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Tue May 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Units on both sides die quickly when attacked, but you're mostly seeing the result of Axis assaults on Allied units as the Allies are attacking and will thus not always be entrenched.

The Allies could use more (timed) replacements and I'll give them more in my next update to the unofficial variant. In my PBEM's, I've also either killed most of an Allied division on a turn or suffered the loss of about an Allied division on a turn. The Axis can now comfortably win a war of attrition and that isn't how it should be.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Richard III » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Is there an ETA for the offical Husky patch ?

I cannot unzip a 7zip file with Vista...
Richard III
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Husky patch...

Postby mario vallee » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:05 pm

When ?
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:59 am

When it's done, as I understand it SSG wants as much feedback as possible prior to releasing a patch, so they can squash as many problems with 1 patch as possible.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:54 pm

zzz :shock:
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:55 pm

I'd love to see Husky looked at again, I enjoy the scenario and the Kharkov version was interesting but horribly imbalanced in some respects (super powerful Germans, tonnes of really nasty allied arty).
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

The latest version of my unofficial variant has been done for around 2 months in terms of units and changes, but I'm still considering what to do with the CRT's as some tweaking to make the battle less absurdly deadly would be a good idea.

As to British artillery: the divisions now have 1 instead of 3 artillery unit. The 1 unit is Heavy and hits at a 2 (a more streamlined representation of the British firepower advantage in artillery). That means that it's more effective against entrenched units than the regular artillery regiments, but won't be able to blow away unentrenched formations all by itself. Some British support regiments have also been combined into 1 unit. This is probably the most experimental part of my new version.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:05 pm

zzz :?:
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby mario vallee » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 am

any update Gregor :?:
mario vallee
Sergeant