Husky

Discussion relating to Across The Dnepr Second Edition

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Husky

Postby Noakesy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:34 pm

I've played Husky as allies against the AI and don't reckon the paratroops have been landing on turn 4 or 5 (or whenever they are meant to)? The supplies seem to arrive, but no paras. Now I guess they might be delayed by volcanic ash, but otherwise I suspect this is a bug (unless you felt it was right to remove them from the scenario)? :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Carl Myers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:23 pm

A scenarion set up problem, the editor lists the unit as making an illegal parachute drop.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 pm

I was wondering what happened to the parachute brigade. It's supposed to drop out of a drop zone, which is illegal.

I'll fix it in the next version of my unofficial fix.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BossGnome » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:38 am

Any news on SSG releasing an official patch? I love this scenario, but as it stands (even with the first unofficial patch) I feel it is biased towards the Axis. It doesn't seem like much tweaking would be needed to render this scenario fully playable though.
BossGnome
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Joe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:46 am

BossGnome wrote:
I feel it is biased towards the Axis.

Strange, I played 2 x PBEM games and the Allies won easily both times.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 pm

It all depends on how you advance and with what as the Allies. HG and other German formations can easily cripple or kill stacks with 2 combat units and some support, the Allies have to mass forces for an attack.

If the Axis go for an aggressive defence, the Allies will be in some trouble. However, that hasn't changed since the original Husky, where the Italians in the hills and mountains could in many cases contain the American landing and HG and other German formations were enough to stop the British.

The Allies should concentrate on a few areas to advance in with most of their forces, as the Axis and especially the Germans will do the same thing, whilst still trying to get around the flanks with other forces.

Unlike BiI Husky, a single attack can often be enough to cripple a unit or even an entire division, so be careful, as the Germans have better units and better tanks (and thus a better tank shift).

Joe: did you win with the original version? The US AO is really limited in the original version, making it fairly easy for the Axis to move forces to the east if they desire to do so.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RalphH » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:33 am

I think that I have the answer to get 1st parachute to show up. Try this : fire up Kharkov, select Husky scenario then edit battle, units, next country(gets you to UK forces) select 1st parachute from the palette on the right, hit the editor button,the hex that shows is 66,36 change it to 66,38 and then save the game exit out then fire up Kharkov to see if it works.
RalphH
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 pm

RalphH wrote:I think that I have the answer to get 1st parachute to show up. Try this : fire up Kharkov, select Husky scenario then edit battle, units, next country(gets you to UK forces) select 1st parachute from the palette on the right, hit the editor button,the hex that shows is 66,36 change it to 66,38 and then save the game exit out then fire up Kharkov to see if it works.

Ralph,

You've got the right idea for 1 Para to land. Think the working drop zone is hex (68,38 )... this should be the unit location hex for 1 Para in the editor.

Without the change to arrival hex, 1 Para will not show up in the v1.00 Husky.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Noakesy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:20 pm

JSS wrote:Without the change to arrival hex, 1 Para will not show up in the v1.00 Husky.
JSS

Listen, I'm playing John with me as Fritz, so this is all fine :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Abwehr wrote:
Joe: did you win with the original version? The US AO is really limited in the original version, making it fairly easy for the Axis to move forces to the east if they desire to do so.

Yes the original version. I presume you're changes give some advantage to the Axis? You're comments above seem to imply giving an advantage to the Allies?

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 am

Yes the original version. I presume you're changes give some advantage to the Axis? You're comments above seem to imply giving an advantage to the Allies?

In the original, the Axis could theoretically leave a token garrison in Palermo and move the quality troops to the East, which is why it surprises me that the Allies seem to have won easily in the games you've played.

I haven't really given any significant advantage to the Axis. I've added 3 or so units, made some of their artillery "heavy" without lowering the required dice roll, gave the 4 step Italian units and the German units a life (I guess you could consider that to be an advantage, but I also gave a number of Allied units a life) and lowered the roll the Regia Aeronautica needs to hit something to a 3.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BossGnome » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 am

Hi,

After playing a few PBEMs, it seems to me that the 315 german flak unit cannot stop air interdiction. This seems to be an oversight on the part of the scenario designers. Just a heads up for whoever might be thinking of releasing the next mod for husky :wink:
BossGnome
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:33 am

You're right, I must've overlooked that, there were too many small errors to keep track of everything.

The 313 and 315 FlaK units do give a bonus against air strikes, but they don't have an AA support function.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BossGnome » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 am

ps: also, abwehr, if you're thinking of releasing a second unofficial mod in the near future, would it be possible for you to fix the allied paratroop problem ? I've gleaned that some people have managed to modify the scenario to fix the drop, but I must admit I don't really know how to do it...
BossGnome
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:13 am

Sure. The problem is they're dropping outside a drop zone, it's easy to fix.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Across The Dnepr - Second Edition Discussion