DRM blues

Discussion relating to Across The Dnepr Second Edition

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

DRM blues

Postby Bertram » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:22 pm

I just updated Kharkov to vrsion 1.20 and bought Across the Dnepr,

Some comments:
- I understand the need to protect against pirated versions, and some people even like the serial number approach. I really hate it that I need to look up a one year old serial number just to get an update. One presumes that having an activated game, one could get an update. If it is activated, I am either legit - in which case I should get that update without hassle, or I am not but have cracked the game - in which case I can do it again.
- I managed to get rid of the unwanted and unasked for extended download warranty. Looking it up I saw this slipped through last year. The way of trying to sell an extended download period by sneaking it in the cart, without asking the customer if he wants it, is rather irritating (and downright illegal in the EU).
- Across the Dnepr instals a new icon on my desktop. It does not remove my old Kharkov one. I also can not remove it manually - - it does not excist anymore.
- The new icon starts up a menu screen, in which you can chosse a screen in which you can choose an option in which you can start a new game. Pleas - when I click on an icon I really want to start a game of Kharkov, not a game of click the menu.
- To start this menu to start a menu I need to give permission each time (Windows Vista here). This is rather annoying and not needed for any other game (thus far).
- When I try to make a shortcut to start the Kharkov menu direct, or try to start the Kharkov.exe I get an error message - my serial numbers are missing ("There seems to be a problem with your serial numbers"). So I am forced to wade through the menus, permission screen and all each time. Rather irritating.
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Carl Myers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:50 pm

I really hate it that I need to look up a one year old serial number just to get an update.

Look for the file serialreg.txt in the Kharkov folder.

Across the Dnepr instals a new icon on my desktop. It does not remove my old Kharkov one. I also can not remove it manually - - it does not excist anymore.

Disappears upon reboot.

To start this menu to start a menu I need to give permission each time (Windows Vista here). This is rather annoying and not needed for any other game (thus far).

Was the UAC disabled when the game was installed?
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 am

A serial number is not a big deal.
1. Matrix does not oblige you to have an Internet connection to install the game
2. Matrix does not oblige you to put the CD in the drive to play
3. Matrix does not oblige you to open your Internet connection to play even against the computer like it tends to be the case these days.

That's also why I like these games.

Postby Chris Merchant » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:49 am

4. You can install your game on multiple machines concurrently
5. No chance of faulty DRM servers preventing you from playing your game
6. No chance of OS issues preventing DRM authorisation and thus preventing you from playing your game

etc :-)

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: DRM blues

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:01 am

Bertram wrote:
When I try to make a shortcut to start the Kharkov menu direct, or try to start the Kharkov.exe I get an error message - my serial numbers are missing ("There seems to be a problem with your serial numbers"). So I am forced to wade through the menus, permission screen and all each time. Rather irritating.

That's a common error with some Matrix games on Vista / Win7. Just enable admin mode for the according .exe and it works.

Return to Across The Dnepr - Second Edition Discussion