What happened to ATD2?

Discussion relating to Across The Dnepr Second Edition

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

What happened to ATD2?

Postby notenome » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:15 am

Across the Dnepr was one of my favorite scenarios and I've spent almost a year waiting for the announced sequel, like six months ago I remember reading that it was close to being done but since then mums been the word.

So...

When will we see ATD2? I don't need an exact date, just some sort of ballpark figure
notenome
New Recruit

Postby Abwehr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:30 am

That's a good question, but one that SSG hasn't really answered yet when asked about it previously.

First, the game was almost done (the OOB and map, and possibly VP's were all there to begin with, so that couldn't cause a delay), after that a lot of playtesting seemed to be going on, but we didn't get any further insight.

At the same time, SSG stated that they were also working on free conversions of Battles in Italy stock scenarios to the new system.

SSG is not very active on the forums lately, and missed some important comments/questions, so we'll just have to have faith that they're working on making ATD2 a quality product, as well as extending the life of Kharkov:DotD (Battlefront was more or less stillborn).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jckerr4 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:51 pm

I agree.
I am really enjoying this game, but after 10 or so games, I am starting to think, what's next?
A new scenario would be awesome.
jckerr4
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Noakesy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:56 pm

jckerr4 wrote:I agree. I am really enjoying this game, but after 10 or so games, I am starting to think, what's next? A new scenario would be awesome.

10 or so games??? I must have played Kharkov a lot more than that :lol: . It's a brilliant game but agree it would be good to see others soon. There was also mention of Husky coming across to the Kharkov system, and looking forward to that also.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 am

Well, I wasn't really into PBEM'ing before, or rather: I didn't try, so 10 games against the AI is a high number.

I've played the stock scenarios of most Decisive Battles titles only once or twice.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Re: What happened to ATD2?

Postby Gregor Whiley » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:18 am

notenome wrote:Across the Dnepr was one of my favorite scenarios and I've spent almost a year waiting for the announced sequel, like six months ago I remember reading that it was close to being done but since then mums been the word.

So...

When will we see ATD2? I don't need an exact date, just some sort of ballpark figure

ATD2 is still being worked on, but the team is one man down at the moment, since I am conducting my own Italian Campaign at the moment, making the hard tourist yards in Tuscanny. I'll be back soonish, and working hard again. Internet access as an economy class tourist is sporadic, so its very hard to get the time to answer forum questions.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Abwehr » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:55 am

Bump, it's been a few months since the last news, and now I'm really starting to wonder what has happened.

It was nearly done half a year ago, at least that's what you guys implied, so what's keeping you from releasing?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby flick » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:21 am

Wouldn't it make more sense to produce a totally new game, rather than another add-on?
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:08 am

Technically, it's more or less a new version of ATD.

They're also working on remakes of the BiI stock scenarios.

Maybe they're working on too many things at the same time, so they lost focus or the like.

I haven't received any official word whether the issue I'm having with the timed steps in BiI can be solved or not either, although they might still be testing that as stated in their last PM.

Some more communication coming from SSG would do wonders.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Carolus Rex » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:52 am

The silence can't be good...
Carolus Rex
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Gregor Whiley » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Carolus Rex wrote:The silence can't be good...

Sorry, spending too much time testing ATD. We're still working on it, its a huge scenario and the AI just takes a long, long time to create and test. It will be finished when its finished, and that certainly won't be tomorrow.

I have to say that my current attempt to rid the world of AI controlled Bolshevism has hit a number of hurdles, and the Fuhrer will not be happy with the high rate of attrition currently being experienced by the Wehrmacht.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Carolus Rex » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Nice to hear that the work is still ongoing. I was afraid that low sales or something had stopped development of my favourite game-series.
Carolus Rex
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby jeffthewookiee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Gregor Whiley wrote:
Carolus Rex wrote:The silence can't be good...

Sorry, spending too much time testing ATD. We're still working on it, its a huge scenario and the AI just takes a long, long time to create and test...

Gregor

If I might ask a question, will there be smaller scenarios broken out from the overall huge scenario? I liked about Korsun Pocket that you could play the whole battle, or could just pick a smaller slice of the battle for a shorter, more focused game experience... I know BiN did this too and it was great fun.
jeffthewookiee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby RalphH » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 pm

I am looking forward to the Operation Husky scenario. I bet that would make for a great tournament scenario since one should be able to play it in a reasonable time.
I would love to see all of the Decisive Battle Maps made available for the Kharkov engine. I think that may spur people to attempt there own translations of Korsun and TAO to the Kharkov game standards.
RalphH
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:02 pm

RalphH wrote:I am looking forward to the Operation Husky scenario. I bet that would make for a great tournament scenario since one should be able to play it in a reasonable time.
I would love to see all of the Decisive Battle Maps made available for the Kharkov engine. I think that may spur people to attempt there own translations of Korsun and TAO to the Kharkov game standards.

Agree 100% :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Across The Dnepr - Second Edition Discussion