East Front

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

East Front

Postby tanker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:16 am

You may know me from the Battles in Italy Scenario Design forum, I have since purchased Kharkov and have been working on the Russian Front for some time. I think I have a working model and plan to work on it while on holiday vacation. I will be out of the office the 21st and return the 9th of January. I am much impressed with the Kharkov game system and hope it works well with my idea. The ability to return destroyed unit is a big plus. I have a working model of brigade, regiment, and battalion units but only an AI for the Russian as I designed this as a solo scenario. I am also working on a smaller Division scale and have completed a very simple small scale Korps, Army level game like the board games from years ago.
I have not seen much activity on the sight lately, I hope there is still some out there interested in this idea. Please let me know if you are interested.
Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: East Front

Postby JSS » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:12 am

Sounds interesting. Contact when you get back.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby tanker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am

I am back at work and playing catch up but on this version of the east front scenario I have reached turn 20. I made the Russians extra strong I thought to make the game fast passed. I did reach and take Leningrad but stopped short at the Moscow suburbs before winter came. It was here a large counter attack came straight out of the city. I even thought of quitting and try another rewrite but I held on till spring and counter attacked trapping a large number of units between Minsk and Smolensk. I have reduced the pocket but I am already into the winter of 42-43 and have made no advance in the south. I did retreat from Leningrad to Narva but Army Group south is still on the Donets with Rostov in my hands. I have not jumped the Kerch Straits as yet but Sevastapol has been captured. A lot of the South and Middle front line is held by Italian, Hungarian, and Romanian troops with only limited attacks by the Russians so far. I believe that will change as the winter progresses as more Russian Armies make it on to the board. Most of my armor is helping to reduce the pocket but I hope the spring of 43 I may be able to go back on the offensive. I did build into the game that the divisions lost at Stalingrad would still withdraw in 43, that the elite status of the German infantry units would degrade, the Italians still surrender to the Allies in 43. This may be too much for the German player to handle but I must hold on as more powerful armored units are still to come. I just got my first 2 tiger units on the board. Please let me know if you would like to know more. Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:36 am

Started turn 21 (November 42) took some hits but still holding the line. Some of my divisions are in serious trouble because the Germans receive no replacements at all in the winter months, attack at a less effective CRT, and have half movement. The Russian attacks at a better CRT and does not have any restrictions on movement. Some of the Luftwaffe Field divisions are now coming on the board but their strength and effect are questionable. I hope to find time this weekend to play more, I have Monday off, but I am never sure it will happen. Nice to see some interest, let me know if you have any questions.
Tanker
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

On turn 21 the Russians made a move between Velikye Luki and Vitebsk. I was able to contain it but on the next move, turn 22 January 43 they hit hard at the pocket between Minsk and Smolensk. I have destroyed about half the pocket but they still hang on. The Russians also hit me at Pskov and seem to be trying to surround Rostov in the south. At this time I programmed some of the Romanian Division to down grade to substandard as a moral factor. This has given the Russian an easier time even with the units on river defense on the Don. I am still getting new and rebuild units but I also factored in that the new German units are "green" so they are standard not elite. All the German divisions from here will become standard later in the game as the war wears on. Some will become Volksgrenadiers and be substandard. I do not believe I will be going over to the offensive soon. I will have to wear down the Russians more to do so.
The Italians will disappear this year and I must be ready for that as well.
I hope to start turn 23 tonight with counter attacks with my tiger units and some Mot. Divisions that have now been converted to Panzer Grenadier Divisions.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:29 am

Starting turn 25, March 43, last turn of winter. The Russians pushed hard between Pskov and Velikye Luki this time, lost an entire Panzer division. They have eased up around Rostov but have made a major push to Kharkov (here I lost SS PzGr. Div. Viking). With the coming of spring I will receive major replacements and reinforcements but it may take a turn or two to get my units where I want them. The Russian have normal interdiction air and partisan units plus I put air drop partisans on railroads to completely block them behind the German lines. I use the Axis security units to chase them down.
To win the game Germany must take Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad. Instead of trying to take Moscow this turn, I may try to retake Leningrad in the North and Stalingrad in the South then wait to take Moscow last. That is the point of my game, not to play a battle but to create battles that could win or lose the war. Both sides now will see an increase in armor, but the German will have big problems with attrition in the quality of their infantry units. The Russian will see an improvement in elite Guards units and infantry mobility thanks to Lend Lease.
If I am going to win I will have to go on the offensive this summer or hope the Russian just plane runs out of units.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:23 am

Just started turn 26, April 43, my front line looks like swiss cheese. The hardest hit was an attack toward Stalino. I will have to decide if I am going to pull back from the Donets or not. I need to shorten my line to free up units. My replacements and reinforcements are fewer than I thought so I may not be able to go over to the offensive after all. My armor is a mess and need refit, the infantry is not much better and there is still the Russian pocket near Minsk. I have been pushed out of Smolensk and having a tough time holding the line. The only quiet spot is the north at Narva, I have checked the programing and am not sure why the Russians have not attacked here. Maybe the next game I will figure it out. This has been a great experience so far, I am looking forward to the next time I play with all the problems I have found corrected. For instance the 3rd SS Mot. Div. was due to become a PzGr. Div. but I made a mistake on the armored unit and it will not appear, so I have 2 PzGr. Reg. and 1 Mot. Reg. It is disappointing but I will keep on, the game is only half over and allot more can happen. Who knows if I spend the summer rebuilding I may still be able to win. While I made the Russian tough this time they do have their limits as well.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 am

Turn 27, have not had a lot of time to play but will try this weekend. Russia's turn 26 was not so bad, they do not have the attack capability of winter moves. At least I have slowed them down. But they are still attacking around Velikye Luki and are regrouping in the south near Stalino. I am trying to rebuild my armor and build up a reserve but it is taking too much time. Still thinking of offensive this summer but not looking good.
I only have 6 summer turns to do what I need to do, then it is 6 winter turns again. My total for this game is 52 turns because in 1941 July, August and September are 2 turns each with one turn for June, for the rest of the game 1 month turns. I am considering expanding the next game to 72. This is still less than half of what most games based on this subject are but now that I have played it seems I need more time in the Summer months. This works out to 8 winter turns, adding the second half of September and first half of April with Oct.Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb. and Mar. as 1 turn months. Then 10 Summer turns, second half of April to the first half of Sept. Any feed back is welcome on this. I am still finding mistakes in my programing for the units but are correcting them as I go. I do want to complete this game first before starting again.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:33 am

Started turn 29, July 43, not much to report. Still trying to rebuild my forces as fast as possible. The Russians are still pushing in the same places but with little success. If I can survive this winter, 43/44, in good shape maybe able to attack one more time. All of the Russian forces are on the board now. Guards tank armies and shock armies should all be somewhere. I would have to get a jump on 44 because as I explained earlier my forces in infantry will only get weaker now. 2 more turns till the Italians leave and my Hungarian and Romanian forces will become less and less dependable. On the other hand, my armor will increase in power with the introduction of the Panther. The Elephant units have appeared and the Germans will get more advanced armor in the coming turns but so do the Russians. I will keep up dating.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:16 am

Still did not have time to complete turn 29 but I noticed last night my Nashorn unit has arrived. I did decide to advance at Narva to get ready for next summers attempt on Leningrad. I destroyed 4 infantry and 1 armored units south of Verlikye Luki leaving a nice hole to move on Smolensk and Leningrad in the future. I have freed up about 7 infantry and 3 armored divisions with the destruction of the pocket. The 18th, 3rd and 25th PzGr. Divisions are also entering this turn and I hope to use them before the snow falls.
My thinking of expanding the turns in the next go round, one month turns for Nov., Dec., Jan., Feb., and the rest as 2 turn months, has me thinking. This would bring the total up to 80 turns, the max of the game. But this would now include MUD turns. The 1st turn of Oct. would be bad weather (Mud), the 2nd turn of Oct. would be good weather (Freeze) then on to the winter turns. Then say the 2nd part of March would also be a good weather turn (Freeze after winter thaw 1st turn of March), the first turn of April would be bad weather (Mud). From here the next turn would be good weather till the 2nd turn of Sept. Yes this idea would be better if I could represent 3 different maps instead of 2 but I must work with what I have. I have also considered a heavy snow hex in the Terrain data for the north part of the map as Russia did have 3 climate zones. This size map even with its limitations, I think it would work.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:43 am

Turn 29 is done! Start of turn 30 not much to report, moved out from south of Verlikye Luki and got my head chopped off. Lost the 4 panzer division and took some heavy hits on my other armor and infantry. Still thinking of attacking in the North but am taking some heat in the south. The Germans and Romanians are holding for now but winter is just 2 turns away. The Italians are gone next turn and I am preparing for that. Everything coming on the board this time is Stug or TD units, no infantry, so I need to get anything that is close to rebuilt up front. I have the train movement maxed out to 200 and it still is not enough to get some units to the front, depending on where they enter from or rebuild. Plan to play more this weekend but when you have around 700 units to keep straight it does take time. I see people are watching, any feed back would be most welcome. Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:31 am

Turn 32, Oct 43. Played over the weekend and had some success at attacking Pskov. The army there is now surrounded. I moved AGN towards Leningrad and ran right into a large army just outside of the city. They attacked immediately on their turn, not much damage but now it is winter and they will have better odds. I retook Smolensk without much trouble but now that the weather has turned against me it is not looking good. The Russians also attacked south of Pskov and made a sizeable breakthrough, I do have the reinforcements to plug it but they are not that strong. In the south my armor is back up to strength but it took all summer. Viking is back on the line with several other Panzer divisions to hold the line till spring. LAH has also returned and I will send it where needed as a fire brigade. I think I have a stalemate on my hands as the Russians seem to weak to do much over the next 20 turns but the Germans too will be having problems. Units will disappear with the invasion of Normandy in June and the down grade of units will continue. The loss of Italy did not hurt too much but the units I sent there could have been better used in the north and south. Will try to play tonight if possible.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:36 am

Turn 33, Nov 43, Russian attacks all along the line again. Two spear heads north and south of Kharkov and some activity south of Pskov again. At Smolensk only counter attacks from the south, attacks at Verlike Luki of course but so far not strong. I have destroyed the pocket at Pskov and am holding the line up near Leningrad till I see what I might be getting into this summer.
According to the research I did several divisions are withdrawn this turn. Some I think were sent to Italy, some disbanded and some rebuilt. This has left a large gap in my lines along the Hungarian and Romanian lines. Very little reinforcements this turn so I will be hard pressed to fill these holes with more than a Reg. or two but again this is accurate for the German to need more infantry all the time.
In the south near Stalino I sent 2 Romanian Calvary divisions into the rear of the Russian units through a small gap in the lines. I wanted to see the Russian reaction, they went after them with a vengeance in their 32 turn and gone! Both were destroyed with out delay. May be a day or two before I can play again. Thanks
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:27 am

Turn 34, managed to move to within 2 spaces of Leningrad but I am still getting holes punched in my line. What I don't understand about the AI is the Russian makes these moves but does not exploit them. I have a break south of Pskov but they have not moved far or in strength. There is still attacks around Kharkov but no hard push. Smolensk has changed hands again with heavy losses on both sides. I am short handed, I will have a long wait till spring (turn 38). No real reinforcements in infantry this turn but I have the 11th and 18th SS PzGr. Divisions with the 20th SS Waffen Gr. infantry division entering. Have not decided what to do with them as yet, may counter attack or hold in reserve till spring.
I have so many ideas to improve this game, to rewrite and correct so much but still plan to complete this one. This spring I will go for broke and see how far I can go before the next winter.
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby tanker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 am

Still on turn 35, have not had time to play. Going to try tonight at least to get this turn done before I go on vacation next week. I plan to hit it as hard as I can while I am gone, will give a full update when I return.
Thanks for watching!
tanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design