Step principles

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Step principles

Postby Malak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:07 am

Are there any principles to respect when assigning steps to unit? Does the following rule is correct?

. Brigade: 4 steps
. Regiment: 3 steps
. Battalion: 2 steps
. Company: 1 step

Except for the HQ or Artillery units that have only one step.

If not, is there any guide or advice to help me?

Thank you
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Considering that most countries that used "brigades" had brigades the size of (reinforced) regiments, regiments and brigades tend to be 4 step. Battalions 2 or 3 (for big or resilient ones), company 1 step.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks Abwehr. So the year is 1943, and this is mobile group Popov. Tank corps is exhausted by a long run. Do I set the tank brigade to four steps; two of them permanently killed at the start of the scenario?

Or is it better to use timed replacement so that Russian player may wait a little bit before pushing too far west at the risk to not reach its objective in time.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Ah, you're working on a playable version of Last victory in Russia/Operation Star&Galop for Kharkov/ATD2? Something I intended to do before becoming a WitE tester which consumed most of my spare time.

The main problem with deciding what to put as step strength in that scenario is that the Soviet units were already worn out before the actual fighting started, due to having fought through minor Axis and German units further east in the push after Little Saturn.

Most Tank corps had barely any operational tanks, or simply barely any tanks at all, and many were light tanks. Replacements were also not going to arrive in the quantities necessary to fill up the Tank corps/brigades.

For my revision of the Kharkov 1943 scenario for BiI, I chose to keep the Tank brigades at 3/4 steps and individual battalions at ~3 steps (the scenario starts with Tank brigades "split up" into battalions), but with a reduced strength for those with few tanks. The Germans were also worn out so the relative strength comparison of 4 German vs. 4 Soviet steps would still be OK even though most of the brigades in the Tank corps barely consisted of what we would call 3 steps.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks for the advice on the steps. One a side note, I bought WitE and it is also consuming a lot of my spare time. But, I have not give up to create a Kharkov 43 scenario. :)
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design