Iskra101 available to download

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Abwehr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:52 am

Ab thanks for the advice. My main worry is Soviet artillery since there are literally no strong points for them to hide under.

Keeping them near the frontline in the same hex as a non-entrenched combat unit usually works.

I'm not sure what the German counterattack capabilities are on turn 1 though.

Pretty much 0. It would be rather foolish of the German player to attack combat units on turn 1, as it's unlikely he'll get an overrun which means he can't entrench. There are insufficient forces available to counterattack in general until the tanks can move up.

-

Artillery is something of a pet peeve for me, and I don't really like artillery units that can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn. My main argument is that artillery rolls essentially depend on luck, and I am in favour of limiting the effects of luck as much as is possible in a dice based game. I prefer having fewer (heavy) artillery units with a good to very good chance to hit to having a larger number of artillery units that can't hit anything.

In my opinion, the difference between a game where all those "moderate to minimal chance to hit" artillery units do manage to hit something and a game where they don't is too great.

Poor artillery rolls can cripple any advance, especially against hexes that basically can't be attacked without artillery support (I, once again, refer to Lannaya in the stock scenario).

However, with fewer, but better artillery units, the statistical chance of having at least some success is quite good. Personally, I somehow often end up with really poor artillery rolls so I can see the benefits of fewer, but better artillery units, which is why I was very happy with artillery units like the artillery divisions in Konrad.

I prefer a middle ground between artillery having a fixed effect, like in the DB series and artillery having a highly random effect, like in maps with mostly "KIA on 4" artillery units.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:45 am

Ok thx for explanation. I noticed the GE strongpoints repair in 1 turn so if you cause a step loss it's pointless unless you can immediately destroy it. Why is this? It makes the smaller arty units even less useful because if you get a random hit with one the strongpoint will just be full strength again the next turn.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 am

Half successful attacks against forts usually mean they are reinforced in some way between attacks, which would make subsequent attacks as difficult as the first. You either hammer a fort into oblivion or leave it alone until you can do so.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:02 am

Fortifications in this battle were hard to break thru. The germans had a long time to prepare them and when damaged they were easily repaired by pouring hot water over the outside.

The effect is that you cant expect to penetrate the german defences unless you commit. consider, if you damage the fortifications but do not follow up an attack you should expect the fortifications to be rebuilt. This makes soviet engineers quite useful and necessary - unlike in other scenarios where you can destroy defences at a distance at leisure - you need to get up close and personal with these. from what
i read of the battle it was more like this.

also - 4-1 odds. You couldnt physically get better odds than that against these kinds of defences. But 4-1 is enough. and soviet lives are cheap.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:46 am

I see. Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Shimsk & Iskra

Postby mario vallee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:02 am

I did not have time to see Shimsk & Iskra. Now I have and it's vey nice. Great job. Many thanks ;-)
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Previous

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design