Iskra101 available to download

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Iskra101 available to download

Postby pete AU » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I have been cleaning up my scenario folder and have decided to make all my current projects, when at playtest stage, available to the communty.

Currently there are 3 scenarios available (Shimsk, Stalingrad and Iskra) and soon Borodino 1812 and Guadalajara when I have tidied them up.

http://rapidshare.com/users/HH92VT/0

this should be a link to the 3 scenarios. Feedback is encouraged and scenarios will be updated at regular intervals as Ideas flow in.

Future updates will have a date appended to the file - eg: Iskra151010 - will indicate the file was last updated on the 15th October 2010, so you all know you have the current version.

Thanks alot to Abwher who held with playtesting to this stage.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:24 pm

well, about time too.......... :wink: :lol:

I'm enjoying Stalingrad (at the "win some lose some" stage), but I've never played it to the end, someone normally throws in the towel around turn 7 or 8 when either the axis defense is immovable, or the soviets are all over the map. Have you played it right through to the end Pete?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Yes, my last game was a cliffhanger went to the last turn. Those German reinforcements can give you a surprise if your not prepared for the end game.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

thanks for this iskra

Postby gnr_ss » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 pm

pete.thanks for your scens.these are very interesting.and can you give me another download link.i always can't download it.
gnr_ss
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi,

Kharkov ’42 Scenario Overviews

#00-Started.scn - #00 Getting Started - "Staging for the Main Event"

**SEE the "Started.HLP - Shebekino, 70km NE of Kharkov, April 27th, 1942: In preparation for Stalin's Summer Offensive at Kharkov, Stavka ordered several new Tank Corps to be formed from organic Tank Brigades throughout the Army. Many of these units had to traverse the front laterally as time was short and the Spring Razputitsa (thaw) had caused many creeks to be swollen beyond capacity. These hasty regrouping orders were often made on short notice and resulted in careless movement, dangerously close to the front lines. Furthermore, this activity did not go unnoticed by the ever vigilant Germans. This scenario depicts one such historically based hypothetical situation wherein the Soviet are redeploying troops south for the big offensive. Your mission is to move your Guards Brigade off the south edge of the map at the exit objective. However, along the way you my encounter enemy units which will have to be dealt with. [825 sq Km – 10 Turns]

Thanks,

Postby jjdenver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:27 am

A couple of Iskra questions:

1) I didn't see any scenario notes in the DL zip - did I miss them - should there be any?

2) I can only spot 1 Soviet bridge unit in the west. However it appears that the edges of the river in the west will block Soviet tank movement - and possibly supply. How is that single bridge unit expected to be used? I guess it can get the T-34's across one river hex side but aren't more bridging units needed?

3) Is it sort of conventional wisdom that the Soviets will try for a couple of breakthroughs in the west, and a couple in the east as they historically had? The German line looks pretty tough in most spots other than the couple of areas where there are only strong points but no actual units.

4) Strategy notes would be great.

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pete AU » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:58 am

There are 3 pontoon units in the west close to where they should be used. They can form the 'bridge' across the thin ice for the tanks and keep them in supply.

There are no strategy notes yet, however, playtesting with Ab showed the soviets can win following historical assault paths easily and with some difficulty further south. I would suggest a human wave tactic at one point in the north west, one point in the north east and one point in the south east linking at the central heights then moving to the southern vps for a decisive if practicable.

Terrain is awful and not at all tank country - but tigers were 1st used here and gave a good account. Peat bogs swamps and forest abound.

Artillery for the soviets is key - this is a ground and pound war. When you crack the german crust - pour in thru the gaps, there arnt enough germans to stop you and they will pull back or get isolated.

Ski troops are good for isolating german units - don't waste them.

Soviet artillery is so massed they get replaced if killed.

Essentially this is a playable beta - feedback will be used provide notes and fill in the turn strings. As you have read up on the battle, try to do the historical thing and you should prevail. As you're playing me I'll give you ideas along the way.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:29 am

Ok thanks for the help. So given the 3 areas in the east marked on the map - which would be the 2 conventional breakthrough areas in the east? The book that I have covers the battle at a very high level so it's a little difficult to pinpoint areas the Sovs targeted historically for the breakthroughts.

Obviously Area 2 looks like a good candidate. For the Northeast breakthrough did you mean across the ice into the far north of the German line?

jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pete AU » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:16 pm

What you will have to do (in the end) is push at as many points as you can and react to the axis action. I found pushing at WS4 gets you in and along the railway tracks in the south. However - the German player can block you - and if you haven't pushed in enough areas the soviet attack can be pinned down - the terrain could make it hard for both sides to redeploy. If this happens you will be waiting for the western forces which have more penetrating power to start making the axis positions risky to hold.

Area 2 needs to be attacked thru to the hill.

In short - you breakthru here will depend on what youre western troops need to do.

The north is easy to penetrate after a bombardment - but the ski troops can be taken out if unsupported.

In short - there is no good answer to youre question as you wont know if the german player is going to play ball.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Pete or Ab - can you clear up what effect combat engineers have in this scenario? It seems that the combat advisor likes to throw engineers into the combats vs entrenched Germans (not forts). I thought engineering bonus only helped vs forts/strongpoints - not vs entrenched units?

Also the combat advisor seems to want more than one engineer in a combat - why? I thought as long as one engineer is in that additional engineers (assuming their combat engineer bonus isn't any higher (i.e. +1, +2, etc)) won't provide any additional engineering bonus. Is it that an engineer negates a hexside's defensive bonus - so across a river you want one engineer per offensive stack?

Thx for any explanation.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:53 pm

With regard to your question on combat engineers and their function in the game engine.

1. Eng attack capability only works against strongpoints (no effect on units)... and its something where only the strongest engineer shock value applies... having multiple engineers in an attack adds no value to the engineer shock shift in the CRT.

2. Combat advisor only considers hex sides, attack strength, and quality bonus when lining up the attacks (same as for other SSG games). It most likely is picking up the extra engineers since they're available and get the attack odds to maximum... CA does not always give the best advice!

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Abwehr » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:09 pm

JJ,

The primary thing to remember as the Soviets is that, even though you have plenty of artillery, you're screwed without it, so try keeping most artillery units intact. Pete lost quite a few artillery units twice (most good ones have one life) which slowed down his advance later on, even though there are still too few Germans in the scenario initially to hold the northern part of the map.

As the Germans have plenty of strongpoints, keeping your engineers alive is also a good idea.

The Germans can hold the center or recapture it as long as they don't waste units.

Soviet units are plentiful but quite fragile and German units are few, but quite tough, as usual.

Another thing to keep in mind is that tanks need roads. There's a spot in the north-eastern corner of the German line which, if held, can prevent the Soviets from moving their tanks in the north around it as they can't move into the terrain next to it, at least not easily.

The Germans need to remember that losing units is always worse than losing terrain in this map. My German losses in the test were pretty low, but I was still barely holding on to the center of the map. The first turn losses won't usually be that high due to the Germans being hedgehogged in hexes with decent strongpoints, 3 or 4 battalions is usually it, but you do need to have a plan for withdrawing them. More than a delaying action in the northwest is a bad idea, although you can try to hold on to Shlisselburg and some of the worker settlements in the area to threaten the Soviet flank. Plenty of strongpoints there to hide your troops in, and it's unlikely the Soviets are expecting significant resistance. You do need to get the hell out of there as soon as soon the Soviet armies are about to link up in the center.

The Soviets are not going to break through in the southwest, that just isn't going to happen as the Leningrad Front forces in that area are weak or substandard and there are too many strongpoints for them to crack, as the Soviets should focus their artillery elsewhere as there's little to gain in the area.

The area around Apraksin has awful defensive terrain, so what you want to do as the Germans is hide behind a wall of detachments, lure the Soviets in, shell them, hit them with Tigers, withdraw and repeat. That will quickly slow down or stop the Soviet advance in that area.

Also keep in mind that a Tiger unit stacked with an infantry battalion and perhaps some support unit in a good defensive CRT with a strongpoint is almost impossible to remove.

Essentially, it's likely that you get the historical outcome where the Soviets get the upper half of the map and the Germans hold the lower half, possibly more in the center.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Abwehr wrote:JJ,

Another thing to keep in mind is that tanks need roads. There's a spot in the north-eastern corner of the German line which, if held, can prevent the Soviets from moving their tanks in the north around it as they can't move into the terrain next to it, at least not easily.
r.

Yes - i remember that road - near WS4 I think. you held me up for the entire game. I didn't plan that well at all and only got thru with brute force and casualties apleanty.

this game now has to contend with the new ATD2 provisions. Namely the difficulty moving out of ZOC when outnumbered - this will be a real problem for the Germans I suspect.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:08 am

Ab thanks for the advice. My main worry is Soviet artillery since there are literally no strong points for them to hide under.

I got a few breakthroughs on turn 1 w/ the Sovs but I left some units exposed. I thought I could probably fill in more units but as it turned out movement penalties were too much and a few units ended up in bad spots forward. I'm not sure what the German counterattack capabilities are on turn 1 though.

I was a little befuddled about the bridging units. I moved one up, laid a bridge, then undid the move and for some reason it wouldn't let me re-lay the bridge- not sure why. So he was wasted. With the others I think I managed to get a road laid across the river hexsides in the northwest that will benefit me next turn.

The Soviets have a ton of 4-die arty units that really can't hit beans. They're useless really unless the Germans come out of their shells. The CRT for attacking the German strongpoints is brutal. It never goes higher than 4-1 and Sovs take heavy losses from the strongpoints.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pete AU » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:40 am

Yes- the germans were very inventive. They made steep slopes of ice for their fortifications - the russians had a hell of a time getting over them as only a limited number of troops had specialized footwear. It would seem improbable that higher odds could be achieved in such conditions. Can you imagine trying to cross a frozen lake under fire - nowhere to hide, the floor caving in under you.

Artillery was something ab and i were discussing. As you say, there is alot of weak soviet artillery. however, there is alot and you do get the odd step kill and any losses hurt the Germans. We were considering amalgamating units as it can get abit tiresome blasting away with no kills. Its a case of realism vs playability. I perfer to go for realism 1st and reduce to playability if the scale is too big. This seems just on the verge of tolerable - so i left it for now.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Kharkov Scenario Design