Kharkov Winter Map

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby albertdeny » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:07 pm

In fact, do need a lot of normal maps. BF normal maps are much smaller than the FH maps and normal maps are not intended for vehicles FH. If you ask me, they have to do again, almost all non-normal Pacific map FH vehicles. FH maps seem to work well for machines and vehicles and normal maps do not. Bocage is the only map I think now, that works well FH vehicles that do not map to the Pacific.
albertdeny
Private
Private

Postby nikdav » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:50 am

any update ?
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Malak » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 am

Roger helps me a lot by editing the terrain.ags file at the required size of my extended Kharkov map. :D

I am finishing the graphics; only a small part remains to be done. In fact, I was obliged to correct one part of the map because roads and rivers crossing were not matching the generated bridges. For people willing to do maps like me, beware of this.

My new map is now extended to Poltava in the west and Korenvo in the northwest. Don’t worry; it is still on going even if it is taking time.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby RalphH » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 am

I commend all of you brave souls taking on the huge task of creating a new battle.
RalphH
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby nikdav » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:58 am

Malak , it should be very interesting to see at least a jpeg of the extended kharkov map, i like very much your winter map and I am trying to turn in winter the BII Moskow map but with bad result. What tool you use to add the snow ?

Ciao !!
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Malak » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 pm

I have played with layers. I have, in fact, created a map of the exact same size than the Kharkov map containing only snow. Once done, I have added a new layer on the Kharkov map with this snow. Then, I have filtered the green colour of the grass so that the snow appears. Finally, I have merged the two.

I am using a free tool that is named Gimp. You could find it here:
http://www.gimp.org/

Hope this helps
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby nikdav » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks Malak !
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby nikdav » Mon May 14, 2012 5:22 am

Malak any progress with your extended map ?
and your Star/Gallop project ?

I used your wonderfull winter map of kharkov to start a
mod of the original battle of kharkov to represent
the 18 january 1942 Barvenkovo-Lozovaja offensive.
I added a screenshot of first test.

Ciao!

Nikdav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Malak » Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm

I am glad the winter map is helping you with your project. Your screenshot looks good.

On my side, I am progressing very slowly. I was entering in the phase of adding combat values for each unit last year and this is boring. Doing maps and units graphics is much more fun than this. Also, the main reason I have not progressed much more is that my wife offers me WITP-AE and I must admit all my game time is consumed by Japan production.

Perhaps a mechanism to import a XML or a CSV file to create units and formations will be able to speed up things but I am not sure if the engine will be improved.

I am getting back on this design from time to time. And, since I have made mistakes at each step of design, I am also doing a dummy scenario to learn without breaking the current scenario.

The extended maps are finished for summer, mud and snow backgrounds. I have everything in one operation named “Kharkov 43”. The main scenario is Star Gallop using the snow and the mud maps. And, there are two sub scenarios for Kursk and Rumyantsev using the summer and the mud maps.

Ciao
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby nikdav » Thu May 17, 2012 4:36 am

My god !
your map is very, very big, how many hexes ?
It is from dnepropetrovsk to Mius river ? and from north Orel to Stalino ?
wonderfull !!!
Can you post a low res jpeg preview ?
I hope you find more time for this very important project,
but i also know what mean start a simulation of Gary Grigsby,
you don't have neither time to sleep nor to eat.

Ciao !

Nikdav
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Malak » Wed May 23, 2012 7:29 am

It is not so huge. Remember that if you would like me to finish the scenario, I must start with something feasible. In the north, the Kursk offensive did not even go to Oboyan so the map is finishing north of this city.

From my point of view, the Mius offensive was intended to divert some forces from Kharkov area. Thus, I was thinking to include a mystery variant as a “what if” the German did not divert these forces.

Here is a snapshot of the summer map:

Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby nikdav » Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Malak !

Thanks for the shot, it look very good,
and i hope you can find more time
for this very important project.

I start "years ago" a BII Rumjantsev project,
and so if you need some help with OOB or other
i am here !